Learners

The land-based version of Allegiance, under construction.
Abhomination

Post by Abhomination »

I'm currently trying to learn C++ and Python using online tutorials. After I finish generic catch-all tutorials (see links) will I be ready to write something that could be useful in here, or would I need to learn something else? I'm currently using two tutorials to learn C++ and I can't find a Python tut that I like (recommendation appreciated).

C++ 1
C++ 2
fuzzylunkin1

Post by fuzzylunkin1 »

Tutorials can tell you the basics but most of what you learn will be in practicing the language.

Python is probably more important at the moment, but I know C++ can be implemented using DLL files (I'm looking at how to do it using the Boost library).

For learning Python, the Python Documentation will probably be your best bet. Start with the tutorials (I will link to more tutorials), but later, as you're lurking through the code, you will want to look up methods. Python is one of the best documented languages out there.

Once you feel you're ready to venture further, Download and install [rul="http://www.panda3d.org/"]Panda3D[/url] and Dropbox. Then give me the email address you used to register Dropbox, and I'll share the Quantus folder with you.

After that, just ask questions.

Google will be your best friend, though. Let's say you run into something called "PNMImage." Go to Google.com and search for it.

Some other Python tutorials:

"Official" Python Tutorial - Also a great reference.
Dive Into Python
Random Tut 1
Random Tut 2
Random Tut 3

We'll be here to help :) .

EDIT:
This is my personal favorite beginners C++ tutorial. It's also a great reference.
Last edited by fuzzylunkin1 on Thu Jun 25, 2009 10:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Abhomination

Post by Abhomination »

Using a working comp now, I understand how it works now.

New question:

How do I get a running python program that crashes due to an error to show me the stack trace? It only shows up for an instant and then it disappears, so I have to use print screen and paint to look at it (a very slow process).
Last edited by Abhomination on Sat Jun 27, 2009 4:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
finnbryant

Post by finnbryant »

a lot of the c++ stuff we will need will be changes and additions to panda, so we can use the panda system for c++ to python binding, its very simple, easier than dlls
Last edited by finnbryant on Sun Jun 28, 2009 1:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
fuzzylunkin1

Post by fuzzylunkin1 »

Alright, cool.
sambasti

Post by sambasti »

Python:

I used sthurlow.com it is good for basics, but once you get more advanced, I don't recommend it.

For python errors: We use .bat files made with notepad to run our programs. However, they close when the program is done, so in order to see the error report, you need to open the command prompt, type the command manually, then look at the error report generated in the command prompt.

Code: Select all

cd C:\*insert directories here*\*programfolder*
ppython *program name*

Insert the items in the **, and you have the orders to run the program.
Abhomination

Post by Abhomination »

I've found an excellent tutorial called thinkpython that I felt explained the language better and helped me learn to use it with programming exercises (etc. create a program that helps you solve Caesar ciphers/automatically draw a grid of x size.) I recommend it to anyone else who is learning python here.

Thinkpython-PDF
MrChaos

Post by MrChaos »

After re-engaging my brains and manners I withdraw the Python question since as they say in the big world, it's a done deal. I did read the manual linkee for Python and both the short lessons and the manual are pretty good ones. The lack of a developer studio makes one job much harder. I had a two hour long fantasy of programming for your endeavor especially with the lead developer being Finn and Sammy being the boss of bosses but reality stuck it's head up and gave me a smack.
Last edited by MrChaos on Fri Aug 14, 2009 8:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ssssh
sambasti

Post by sambasti »

Don't worry about it, no matter what everyone else says, the only one here who can really do crap in python is finn. The tutorial let me understand it, but writing it is still something I can't do. I'm just gradually learning it, and hopefully by the end of the project I will have actually helped with the code. :D
fuzzylunkin1

Post by fuzzylunkin1 »

What happens is we talk about the theory of how we all think it should be, and Finn makes it so :D .