Cores

Development areas for Allegiance core (IGC) design.
Zapper

Post by Zapper »

Publication Guideline for cores in the game server environment
These are some ordinary guidelines on the publication of cores in the Alleg game server environments.
Version: 1.0

Intro
We like cores, it gives the game more variety and they are overall funny.
So we host the different cores available. Test and Test your core.
Get a couple of Vets to review your Core, we have a few good reviewers who can spot simple mistake, and known bugs, so its not just about testing in game.

Guideline
1. Test your core
2. See 1.
3. Dont name your core 0.0033 Beta when its an Alfa
4. Dont publish a core for public usage when its a 0.00033 Beta
5. Name your core 1.0 Beta when your ready for public test
6. Dont nag the server hosts for publication, if your gonna release a new version 2 days after the last version.
7. Release a Change/Bug list with your core publication. This is also read by the host to ensure maturity of the core and the author!
8. If your core cause a crash on a server, don't expect the core to be available on the server for a long time. See 1.
9. Get another player to review your core.
10. A core will be loaded and online when the server is restarted, we don't restart a server on the fly, its annoying enuf the servers crash because of bad cores.

Filename format for files
Filenames must comply with windows filename regulation(this a fancy name for 8/3 char filename).
In short the filename must not be more then 8 characters and 3 characters extensionwiki

Core release
When a new core is released the following files are needed.
All the files shale be Zipped in a .zip file.
  • Core file (filename.igc). Must comply with the 8.3 filename format.
  • CVH files(filename.cvh). Must comply with the 8.3 filename format.
    All the .cvh files associated with the core!! Just grab all the .cvh files in your artwork folder to be sure you dont forget any..
  • Changelog(filename.txt)

Feedback
If you think you would cause a crash with the current version of your core, inform the host so they can pull the core from the list, thus preventing a crash, this will also ensure a good sound relations between a host and a core author.
If we are informed about a possible bug, we are most likely do a hotfix update if there is a solution at hand, rather then see the server crash.

We would love to host your core, so Test it.
Zapper and the game server admins

Edit: I blame people for my grammar
Last edited by Zapper on Wed May 27, 2009 8:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Life suck's and then u play Alleg.
-.. ..- -.- . -. ..- -.- . .----. . -- .. ... - .... . --. .-. . .- - . ... -
Andon

Post by Andon »

To anyone who wants to get a core published, be sure to follow rules #1 and #2. And, when in doubt, test again. And again.
ImageImage
Zapper

Post by Zapper »

UPDATE: CTF game mode BUG in Cores made with ICE

http://www.freeallegiance.org/forums/index...showtopic=51808

Please update your core to avoid any crashes.

Thx
Zapper
TurkeyXIII

Post by TurkeyXIII »

Zapper wrote:QUOTE (Zapper @ May 27 2009, 10:24 PM) 9. Get another player to review your core.
So who do I need to poke for that?
QUOTE (Randall Munroe)14.2: Turkey consumption rate of the average American in milligrams per minute[/quote]
Xeretov

Post by Xeretov »

TurkeyXIII wrote:QUOTE (TurkeyXIII @ Apr 1 2010, 01:01 AM) So who do I need to poke for that?
You want somebody familiar with how cores work in general and ICE in particular.

These days I'm not sure how many people would fit the above categories.

If you're aiming to make a playable core (Read: Not a for-fun or specialty core) then I also recommend getting a reputable vet to look at it balance-wise as well.
MrChaos

Post by MrChaos »

Zapper's 100% correct in his post

I'd like to add this:
Be aware you almost certainly will not get your new core on Solap out of the gate. Once they are well vetted, and there is an obvious clamouring for it amongst the community ( actual usage vs "oh cool shiney" ) then I'll put it on.

Why:
1. The other cores in total are played less than 1% of time
2. This ends up causing me work, headaches and the bitching is directed at ME

Sorry in advance
MrChaos
Ssssh
Compellor

Post by Compellor »

About the 8/3 file name rule - there are many existing files which don't comply with this rule. I'm curious what, if any, consequences that has.
Any job worth doing with a laser is worth doing with many, many lasers. -Khrima
Beyond a shadow of a doubt if you don't watch them like a hawk they will stack their collective balls off - MrChaos on Alleg players
Zapper

Post by Zapper »

Compellor wrote:QUOTE (Compellor @ Apr 7 2010, 09:53 PM) About the 8/3 file name rule - there are many existing files which don't comply with this rule. I'm curious what, if any, consequences that has.
If you refere to some random file in your Client artwork folder... :rofl:

If you refere to core or cvh files, then it will result in a possible crash IF they are loaded by the server app.

Zap
Compellor

Post by Compellor »

So faohshmnr.cvh, tftransport.cvh, dn_fadnshsct.cvh, cc_fagishfig.cvh, and so on and so forth, are all a potential source of a crash, and we should replace all of them with renamed versions?
Last edited by Compellor on Fri Apr 30, 2010 9:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
Any job worth doing with a laser is worth doing with many, many lasers. -Khrima
Beyond a shadow of a doubt if you don't watch them like a hawk they will stack their collective balls off - MrChaos on Alleg players
Zapper

Post by Zapper »

Compellor wrote:QUOTE (Compellor @ Apr 30 2010, 11:18 AM) So faohshmnr.cvh, tftransport.cvh, dn_fadnshsct.cvh, cc_fagishfig.cvh, and so on and so forth, are all a potential source of a crash, and we should replace all of them with renamed versions?
1. are these files associated with any Cores? if so read 2.
2. cvh is not critical(i think, it is a long time since i made the research, the rules are based on)... only core is critical.

Zap