Space-Ground

The land-based version of Allegiance, under construction.
fuzzylunkin1

Post by fuzzylunkin1 »

Hmmmm . . . benefits?
Valiance

Post by Valiance »

Im actually for space combat so long as it is detached from the ground combat.
ImageImage
Cadillac

Post by Cadillac »

This discussion has been had before, and it was agreed or proposed that a Freelancer-esque space/land detached style of combat would be awesome, but I think we have bitten off more than we can chew as it is with the land by itself. Any such expansion should probably be reserved until we have a working version at the very least, imo.
Image Image Image
"If you wish to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first invent the universe." Carl Sagan ("The Lives of the Stars" ep. 9 Cosmos)
Rants Blog Cadillac, *Wurflet@Event, ?GoldDragon@Alleg, ^Biggus*#$@us@XT, +Ashandarei@Zone
finnbryant

Post by finnbryant »

The following it a very very ambitous suggestion, even I as the suggestor don't think we could pull it off, but lets see what you think...

perhaps an intinity-esque "prototype" structure of development?

first we build a land based prototype, then a space-based prototype, then create the actual game using code and gained knowledge from the prototypes.

The prototypes would be fully functional games that only have a subset of the eventual planned games gameplay, but would actually be playable as normal games, this extends our possible timeframe for eventual completion without having the "duke nukem forever" factor. it could even be considered as us planning 3 different games, but the other 2 wont be even started until 1 is working, and since they would share lots of code, it wont take nearly as long either.

one interesting factor from that plan is that the space game prototype could potentially be a remake of allegiance...

pretty crazy huh?

EDIT: just to reittereate, I really think this is beyond us, the only reason I suggest it is that even if we have to give up before we finish, at least we have released something.
Last edited by finnbryant on Tue May 26, 2009 6:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Virex

Post by Virex »

First of all, you can't have fast aircraft, at least not if we're going to keep the current concept of sectors. A sector in quantus is only going to be several kilemeters across at most. Any fast aircraft would need the entire dome just to make a normal turn and flying in a line for a short time would quickly send the aircraft out of the dome and into the toxic, radio-active surroundings. You don't want to go there.

Secondly, I think that the use of aircrafts is certanly possible, but then in the form of VTOLs or helicopters, like the aforementioned banshees, or helicopters. They would provide the required manouvrability while still having the ability to avoid ground-based obstacles. On the other hand, they can't quite take as much weight with them, hurting their armour and shield capacity and they're easy targets for seeking missiles.

Lastly, spacecraft operating on the ground could be of the VTOL variety. They need to stay aloft after all, and the only way the bulky space-based vehicles could do that is with enough thrust to lift them. But I don't quite like the idea of having space as a seperate battlefield, since Quantus is all about ground-based combat.

That doesn't mean space should be absent, but instead I'd limit it to dropships and orbital artillery.

Besides that, there is always the possibility of some sectors being inside the aliens orbital structures. It wouldn't be aleg-space, but you'd be up there. I could even see such orbital structures being used as an orbital base by some of the factions.
wizlawz

Post by wizlawz »

i can fly in Space here or i can fight on the ground in Quantus but what would be really neat is to see the explosions (or a from of not actually in sync with Allegiance) in the sky maybe some falling debris etc. Planet walk is widely talked about in space worlds ;.. geez i wish i could remember the game i tried that was able to go from space to the ground but it was for transport only ie: pick up vehicle and move it ot another place on the map.

might want to check out what EVE is doing for "station walk fps" or ship to ship walk(as i have heard as well). Another world worth checking out is INFINITY in development atm by a single dev. for some ideas.
Pipe Dream
PLAY WELL, FIGHT HARD!!!!
that_bloke

Post by that_bloke »

sambasti wrote:QUOTE (sambasti @ May 23 2009, 12:39 PM) Thats exactly the point, I want to balance it not by making them slow, but by making them fast, very fast, so fast that you cant aim at the ground vehicles. The logic behind this is that in order not to crash, the spaceships need to be doing at least 80 mps, which would make it almost impossible to take out a ground unit going 20 mps.
Aircraft can go more than 80mps, and are quite capable of a strafing run with decent accuracy. I play a lot of flight sims, and would EASILY be able to hit a pinpoint target at high speed over and over. (i know it doesn't show up in my alleg play :D )

I think this sounds fun, and i don't want to criticise someone for trying to contribute, but planes rule all over a battlefield unless there's some sort of counter-air....

Edit -- added a hyphen to counter-air. hyphens ftw!
Last edited by that_bloke on Mon Sep 14, 2009 8:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
sambasti

Post by sambasti »

that_bloke wrote:QUOTE (that_bloke @ Sep 14 2009, 11:36 AM) Aircraft can go more than 80mps, and are quite capable of a strafing run with decent accuracy. I play a lot of flight sims, and would EASILY be able to hit a pinpoint target at high speed over and over. (i know it doesn't show up in my alleg play :D )

I think this sounds fun, and i don't want to criticise someone for trying to contribute, but planes rule all over a battlefield unless there's some sort of counter-air....
Im not just trying to contribute. ;)

Obviously, the number is subject to change for balance purposes. Also, and this goes to wizlaw too, look at the dates on the posts. The air-ground concept has changed internally quite a bit since this was posted.

QUOTE i can fly in Space here or i can fight on the ground in Quantus but what would be really neat is to see the explosions (or a from of not actually in sync with Allegiance) in the sky maybe some falling debris etc. Planet walk is widely talked about in space worlds ;.. geez i wish i could remember the game i tried that was able to go from space to the ground but it was for transport only ie: pick up vehicle and move it ot another place on the map.

might want to check out what EVE is doing for "station walk fps" or ship to ship walk(as i have heard as well). Another world worth checking out is INFINITY in development atm by a single dev. for some ideas.[/quote]

Fighting in space is not planned for Quantus. It is also not currently planned to link Allegiance and Quantus.