IC base shields

Discussion area for user-created Allegiance models, textures, voicechats, music, and other ingame content.
Duckwarrior

Post by Duckwarrior »

Is it possible to somehow link the base shields with the infamous "IC hole"?

IE: When base shields are up the hole is inaccesible, shields down = you can fly in?

This seems like an acceptable compromise, but probably involves a deal of work.
Those who make peaceful revolution impossible, will make violent revolution inevitable. John F. Kennedy.
madpeople

Post by madpeople »

What you propose would need a second CVH to represent the shield.

A simpler alternative would be to apply the oval shield which ships have to bases, but then friendlies could sit within the base shield and shoot with invulnerability
Valiance

Post by Valiance »

Now we just need to think... which one is more unbalanced... hmmm... tough decision :P
ImageImage
Sushi

Post by Sushi »

madpeople wrote:QUOTE (madpeople @ May 12 2009, 06:22 AM) What you propose would need a second CVH to represent the shield.

A simpler alternative would be to apply the oval shield which ships have to bases, but then friendlies could sit within the base shield and shoot with invulnerability
I dunno, the ability to
A) hide under a base (or capship!) shield
B) bypass a base shield by flying really really close first

would result in some interesting game dynamics. Definitely too major of a change for normal Alleg though. :)
madpeople

Post by madpeople »

Sushi wrote:QUOTE (Sushi @ May 12 2009, 08:22 PM) I dunno, the ability to
A) hide under a base (or capship!) shield
B) bypass a base shield by flying really really close first

would result in some interesting game dynamics. Definitely too major of a change for normal Alleg though. :)
B) wouldn't happen, I was assuming we would let frienlies fly through the shield (so they can do htings like dock) but not let enemies go through the shield.

Most of the time you can't fly through a shield around a ship, but you can through a carrier's, so long as you don't triger the bug that stops you doing so.

but I suppose you could change it so you can hage GS sitting within a bases shield attacking bombers with invulnerability, or allow NG sbs and TTs to solo bases by flying within their shield
Last edited by madpeople on Tue May 12, 2009 8:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
CronoDroid

Post by CronoDroid »

madpeople wrote:QUOTE (madpeople @ May 12 2009, 03:22 AM) A simpler alternative would be to apply the oval shield which ships have to bases, but then friendlies could sit within the base shield and shoot with invulnerability
Actually, unless I'm wildly mistaken, the simplest alternative would be to just close the hole by changing the hitbox, no?
madpeople

Post by madpeople »

...but then you couldn't fly up the hole when the shields are down like he wanted... ;)
CronoDroid

Post by CronoDroid »

What's the point though?
madpeople

Post by madpeople »

Ask ducky, I'm just here reporting on the ways things would be implemented and their side effects