Where are the models?

A place to discuss user-created Allegiance 3D models, textures, images, and other visual ingame content.
Kiloku

Post by Kiloku »

Well, I've been looking through this forum here, and all I see are High-Res Texture versions on old models. Hi-Res is great, but it can only be helpful to an extent. If we have an old model made in 199X, it won't matter if we apply textures as big as 8192x8192. I really want to see new models for the ships and stations.
Also, is it possible to have Normal Mapping in Alleg?
Let's rock!
Ramaglor

Post by Ramaglor »

I am the one and only artist currently working to improve the models used in allegiance. You can find my work on mesial's site, and in the upcoming Omicron Hive faction.

Replacing the old 256 textures is required to bring this game into a modern look. 512 and 1024 would have been sufficient for this, but after discussion, it was decided that 2048 masters be made. Besides, the larger scaled items in the game most definitely need high detail textures.

In the future, please refrain from lecturing us on a topic we know very much about.
Spidey's tactical advice on TS during Tourny game
QUOTE We don't need to save our thingy.[/quote]
Hockfire

Post by Hockfire »

Just to answer this question of yours:

Also, is it possible to have Normal Mapping in Alleg?[/quote]
Unfortunately, no. Alleg's engine is quite old and doesn't support a lot of new stuff, including even distinction between hard/soft edges, let alone normal and bump mapping. Of course you can do your best to disguise a texture as being bump mapped, specially bases, since lights in Alleg are generally static (you can see the original dev-team included baked-in shadows for most bases), but they wouldn't be of much use on small ships because you rarelly see them up close (even on the loading screen, and the light source isn't really that fancy).
Last edited by Hockfire on Sun Mar 22, 2009 1:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Adaven

Post by Adaven »

If you are volunteering to help, you are more than welcome and we greatly appreciate it! As Hockfire said, the current engine doesn't support a lot of fancy stuff like normal, emmisive, or specular mapping, but as you've pointed out, there is still a lot of work to be done with just the geomtery. Rama has been the only person to release stuff, and I'm sure he wouldn't mind the help (even if he does seem a little miffed atm). I've played around with the models a little bit, but didn't get anything finished. Right now I'm busy looking through the batch of art source CD's to see if MS already made some high res models for us.
Kiloku

Post by Kiloku »

Well, I actually am not a good modeller, at all. But I was under the feeling that there was no project at all, and wanted to know if there was someone working on it. I plan to download Truespace, maybe it's easier to make good models there than on 3DSMax.
About the Engine not supporting some kinds of maps, maybe it would be possible to program it to work with it. What language is the Engine written in?
Let's rock!
Compellor

Post by Compellor »

We don't have a lot of coders, and they're quite busy as it is. The code is C++.
Any job worth doing with a laser is worth doing with many, many lasers. -Khrima
Beyond a shadow of a doubt if you don't watch them like a hawk they will stack their collective balls off - MrChaos on Alleg players
Kiloku

Post by Kiloku »

Cool, I'm starting C++ at school this year, maybe by october I can be a productive coder.

BTW: The link to the Source Code in the Downloads page doesn't work. Where else can I get it?
Last edited by Kiloku on Mon Mar 23, 2009 1:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
Let's rock!
Adaven

Post by Adaven »

Check the wiki.