AllegSkill Wiki

Vaugen

Post by Vaugen »

Below is a quote from the wiki:

BEGIN QUOTE:
Your rank
The rank that is displayed in-game is known as your Conservative rank. Basically it is where your curve touches the axis on the left - the system is 99% sure that your "true rank" isn't any less than your conservative rank.

The formula is: Conservative Rank = μ - 3 x σ

This means that newbies, who start with (μ, σ) = (25, 8.33) will have a conservative rank of zero. As they play more games the uncertainty about their rank goes down, and so their conservative rank more closely resembles their rating - which will hopefully be close to resembling their actual skill by the time they've played that many games!

Leaderboard/Ingame ranks
The ranks shown on leaderboard/in game are multiplied by 0.6, so we have ranks up to 30, instead of ranks up to 50.

The formula is: Leaderboard Rank = (μ - 3 x σ) x 0.6
END QUOTE

Using the Conservative Rank with my current leaderboard values yields 23.26 - 3 x 4.4 = 10.16.
Using the Leaderboard Rank with my current leaderboard values yields (23.26 - 3 x 4.4) x 0.6= 6.10

My actual rank (as I see it in game) is 6. So is conservative rank used anymore? Should conservative rank be stricken from the wiki?

Just trying to help out and do my part to maintain Allegiance,
Vaugen
Clay_Pigeon

Post by Clay_Pigeon »

Decimals are dropped from ranks :)
"Therefore I will boast all the more gladly about my weaknesses, so that Christ's power may rest on me." -2 Cor 12:9
"Never know how long I've waited, anticipated your smile pressed against mine." -Running
Vaugen

Post by Vaugen »

I understand that decimals are dropped from the rank. My point is that the wiki gives two definitions for in-game rank. Conservative and Leaderboard. The Conservative Rank is not being used and this portion of the wiki needs adjustment.
notjarvis

Post by notjarvis »

Vaugen wrote:
QUOTE (Vaugen @ Mar 8 2009, 10:48 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I understand that decimals are dropped from the rank. My point is that the wiki gives two definitions for in-game rank. Conservative and Leaderboard. The Conservative Rank is not being used and this portion of the wiki needs adjustment.

I was under the impression Sgt Baker was considering getting rid of the laderboard rank, and just showing the Conservative Rank in game. The only reason for the x6 is to make it look a little like the old ranks (range of 0-30)
juckto

Post by juckto »

Actually, it's the code only allows for 31 different ranks.

My point is that the wiki gives two definitions for in-game rank. Conservative and Leaderboard. The Conservative Rank is not being used and this portion of the wiki needs adjustment.[/quote]
Finally, I can understand wtf you are talking about. Would it have killed you to say that in your first post? And learn how to use $#@!ing quote tags.
Usually though, "skill" is used to covertly mean "match the game exactly to my level of competence." Anyone who is at all worse than me should fail utterly (and humorously!) and anyone better is clearly too caught up in the game and their opinions shouldn't count.
TheBored

Post by TheBored »

Oh be nice, Juck :P

Someone get Baker in here... easy fix ;)

TB
spideycw wrote:QUOTE (spideycw @ Nov 28 2008, 02:50 PM) All the retards are contained in one squad mostly (System X)
[18:48] <Imago> dont take me seriously
juckto

Post by juckto »

Eh, I just remember reading it the first time and going "whaaa? Screw it I don't have time to figure this out atm."
Usually though, "skill" is used to covertly mean "match the game exactly to my level of competence." Anyone who is at all worse than me should fail utterly (and humorously!) and anyone better is clearly too caught up in the game and their opinions shouldn't count.
sgt_baker

Post by sgt_baker »

Well this is a stop-gap measure. AS rollout is a gradual process. Until I can get the Alleg server coded and released to support AS, we're having to 'squeeze' AS's native 0-50 system into Helo's 0-30. It was far easier to to this than to wait until someone (me) managed to get all the non-ASGS systems updated.

I'll update to wiki to reflect that this is temporary. 'ri

:)

B

Edit: The reason we went with a 0-50 system was that that's the MS standard. Made testing vs known cases much easier. AS/TS can easily support any range of ranks, but was a case of 'stick with what you know works and produces the same numbers given the same input'.
Last edited by sgt_baker on Tue Mar 10, 2009 3:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Granary Sergeant Baker - Special Bread Service (Wurf - 13th Oct 2011)
MrChaos

Post by MrChaos »

Baker

< stop posting in here on this subject you clueless noob >

MrChaos

edit added the <> for those who don't know the background *points down to his sig*
Last edited by MrChaos on Thu Mar 12, 2009 10:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ssssh
ImmortalZ

Post by ImmortalZ »

That was a spammer/bot juck. Deleted the posts.