Urgent - need help

Suggestions, problems regarding the site and other community facilities.
Croc
Location: Home is the O.Z.Z. But I'll be assimilating prey in a galaxy near you...

Post by Croc »

Is there anyway to use HTML encoding in a post. Specifically to embed audio as such: <EMBED src="something on my own site" autostart=true hidden=true>

Its for ZG advertising.

Cheers in advance!

Astronomy compels the soul to look upwards and leads us from this world to another.
Plato
Duckwarrior wrote:QUOTE (Duckwarrior @ Jan 12 2009, 09:55 AM) They may have some impediment, or condition, like they're French and not good at war things.
madpeople

Post by madpeople »

yes and no.

It is possible, but you don't have permission. (pook once posted a youtube video)

On a related note, if you embed some background music in a page which starts by it's self and I can't turn off, I will hunt you down and hurt you. (unless it's really really appropiate, most people will simply close the browser to get it to shut up so they can carry on listening to their own music.)

:)
Croc
Location: Home is the O.Z.Z. But I'll be assimilating prey in a galaxy near you...

Post by Croc »

It's appropriate and directly related to ZG's. Who do I hassle for permission (it's actually for the Datanet forum account). Need it yesterday. Cheers

Astronomy compels the soul to look upwards and leads us from this world to another.
Plato
Duckwarrior wrote:QUOTE (Duckwarrior @ Jan 12 2009, 09:55 AM) They may have some impediment, or condition, like they're French and not good at war things.
Pos_21

Post by Pos_21 »

That would be a Tigereye thing, but I don't know that he'de be willing to hand out those permissions.

I'll make sure he sees the thread though.

"Don't screw around with the $#@!head. Trust the $#@!head."
Tigereye

Post by Tigereye »

This just reaks of bad times...

You want to post a sound? Hell no - the internet should not have sounds. I'm with padmeople.
You want to post flash? Flash is ugly and gross. This is a forum ffs.
You want to post a user-hosted script to try and take advantage of our users? Hacking is bad mmkay.

I don't know what purpose you have, but I can't see why it must be enclosed in an EMBED tag.
Perhaps you want to PM me your dohicky so I can better understand what you're trying to do?

--TE

The Allegiance community currently hates their sysadmin because he is doing: [Too Much] [____________|] [Too Little]
Current reason: Removing the PayPal contribute page. Send Bitcoin instead: 1EccFi98tR5S9BYLuB61sFfxKqqgSKK8Yz. This scale updates regularly.
Croc

Post by Croc »

:bang: :bang: :bang:

Of course - assume I'm up to no good. Fine - PM'd. Forget it anyway, it's obviously going to be too much trouble - I'll just post text.

Plato
CronoDroid

Post by CronoDroid »

I wasn't aware Croc had a criminal record on these forums, or even one at all.
Shizoku

Post by Shizoku »

If you trust no one, it means less work!
Croc

Post by Croc »

Ok - sorry time - I'm having a bad day. I apologise to you, TigerEye, for reacting so badly. But I stand by what I wrote in the heat of the moment - I'm extremely frustrated and more than a little ticked off by the response I got here. And extremely hurt that people would have such a low opinion of me and/or Zone Games.

1) My initial question was "Is it possible" - Mad answered that nicely, and raised an issue to which my response is "I can do it without the hidden attribute, allowing you to turn it off". I also said it was for a ZG advert - these generally aren't looked at more than once by any one user, and even rarer are they replied to.

2) My second response asked "who do I talk to", and I also made it clear it was for the Datanet account, not my own. Aeris answered that one for me.

3) The response I got from TE essentially plastered me as someone up to no good, rather than taking a more professional line, perhaps along the lines of just "We'll see - PM me and we'll discuss it".

To wit, I'd like to point out:

Dorjan (who I assume is trusted by the Godbeings in the Adminisphere) holds the keys to that account. He is currently away.He obviously trusts me enough to give me the keys to that account while he's away, else I wouldn't be asking about itI would hope he is smart enough to reset the password when I return it to him, regardless of trust issues, because its the smart thing to do. Regardless, he trusts me enough to not lock him out of the account, or go crazy with it.The Datanet account could well be considered an official event account, not a normal user account - I made it clear I was not asking as a user, perhaps I should of made it clear that I am asking as an Acting Zone LeadThe internet has sounds, and will continue to use sounds. They are an everyday part of internet life, and will become more so as we head further into Web 2.0 territory and then logically into Web 3D territory. The last I checked, BBS style internet content was pretty much dead and buried. I specifically wanted to embed an MP3 file rather than link it because I want people to hear it for immersion purposes, not just have them skip it and read the same old boring text format we always use for Zone Game ads.Flash is ugly and gross only because the people who make it are untalented hacks. True Flash/MM content is unobtrusive to the point that the user shouldn't even know it is there. To wit, 99% of all browsers now ship with a shockwave/flash player built in.User-hosted scripts that try and take advantage of users can be done currently using any forum account, just by posting a link that says click here. In fact the more trusted the user posting it, the more likely it is to trick people. Creatively done, the user would never even know anything has occurred until after the maximum amount of views/clicks have happened across the community. Hijacking the account of well respected users, especially forum trolls with reputations for posting humorous links, even Leads and Admins, to do this, would likely be far easier than coming here and asking if you'd set up a way for myself, the evil hacker, to just embed it straight in my posts. Hell - I suspect that even I, a "noob", have enough trust on the forums to post a link under my own account and get people to click on it, then cry that my account was hijacked afterwards to get away with it. If a hacker wanted to be really really nasty, they could simply embed viral or trojanic code inside an image file - its completely doable, and I'm sure it's not that hard for a script kiddie to do via the aid of any number of the (probably quite a few) underground sites that instruct people how to do just that. Yet we allow any image to be uploaded or remote linked to this site without any form of checking to my knowledge. The only sure fire way to prevent such attacks would be to move to a bare bones, non image, text only site. These kinds of user trust issues can only be solved with real and working RL user verification as used by professional sites - banks, online gaming/gambling etc - credit cards, copies of photo ids, hell, even having real names and addresses on record has got to be better than the blind trust system in use now. This is something I've raised already in the rogue ASGS thread, only to have that recommendation fall on deaf ears.

In conclusion, I really don't think I deserved that response. I know I don't have a lot of respect round here. I know that the general consensus regarding ZG's is that they really aren't important to the game. I know that I'm simply regarded as an opinionated nobody in comparison to the veteran members of the community making up the ZG team such as Dorj, Cookie, Crono (thanks for the support there mate), badp and sp4wn (who I mention because he complained today that no one gives him credit ;) . Plus he's a valued member of the team who contributes. ) I know that people regard newer members like Phoenix and Zecro with a lot more, well, regard, than I. But I also know that I work hard, and will continue to, hell, bushfires or high water, at making ZG's interesting, on making the Allegiance universe a rich and detailed one to play in, and that I'm dedicated to improving the game and community as a whole, and raising the profile of both Allegiance and Zone Games.

All I wanted was some help in doing just that.

Pax and kind regards

Chris "Akitora" Beer

Croc@GB

Canberra, ACT, Australia

Plato
sgt_baker

Post by sgt_baker »

Croc wrote:QUOTE (Croc @ Feb 23 2009, 09:15 AM) [*]Dorjan (who I assume is trusted by the Godbeings in the Adminisphere) holds the keys to that account. He is currently away.
I spoke to Dorj on IRC less than an hour ago. :)
Granary Sergeant Baker - Special Bread Service (Wurf - 13th Oct 2011)