MS Source Art Released!

A place to discuss user-created Allegiance 3D models, textures, images, and other visual ingame content.
Adaven

Post by Adaven »

Turning on my box with it as well. Was just thinking before I shut it down the other day if anyone else would want to download it in the near future.
Grimmwolf_GB

Post by Grimmwolf_GB »

HJ_KG wrote:QUOTE (HJ_KG @ May 10 2011, 12:41 AM) Why the hell am i upping to your box, Grimm?
You aren't. :) My torrent is on 100% (plus CD 16). There is probably somebody else from germany downloading (OK, it downloaded 5MB, when I launched the torrent, but I stopped it until I had replaced the empty with the complete files).
HJ_KG
Location: Plutocracy, USA Occupation: misanthropic anthropologist

Post by HJ_KG »

Last edited by HJ_KG on Tue Jun 26, 2012 7:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
unindicted co-conspirator
HSharp

Post by HSharp »

Most likely the Borg box is PKK especially as it is mach2.
pkk

Post by pkk »

HJ_KG wrote:QUOTE (HJ_KG @ May 10 2011, 04:41 PM) Wait, 16 zip is not part of the torrent. How do I get that?
It's against RoC #6, so stop asking for it.
Adaven wrote:QUOTE (Adaven @ Feb 10 2009, 11:38 PM) The torrent is without the Softimage cd(cd16) which would be illegal to download...
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Autodesk_Softimage
The Escapist (Justin Emerson) @ Dec 21 2010, 02:33 PM:
The history of open-source Allegiance is paved with the bodies of dead code branches, forum flame wars, and personal vendettas. But a community remains because people still love the game.
HJ_KG
Location: Plutocracy, USA Occupation: misanthropic anthropologist

Post by HJ_KG »

Last edited by HJ_KG on Tue Jun 26, 2012 7:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
unindicted co-conspirator
Grimmwolf_GB

Post by Grimmwolf_GB »

pkk can be harsh sometimes. :) I got CD16, when the torrent was first put up. Back then it wasn't clear that copyrighted software was on the CDs. As soon it was discovered, it was removed. I just happened to keep the files as I received them.
I prefer to slap myself, I don't want pkk to do it. :)
Adaven

Post by Adaven »

Yeah, CD 16 contained some installers for Softimage 3D, the package used to create all the models. I looked at it a little when I was first exploring the CD's after they came in the mail. I was hoping the installer would let me do a 30 day trial or something, but apparently such courtesies were not commonplace back then.

Besides, that program is now ~13-14 years old. I'm not sure it would even run on modern machines, and if it did probably wouldn't function very well.

However, the Softimage brand is still in existence, even though the company has been bought out multiple times. It is currently ran by Autodesk. In addition to the full product, they do also offer a free trimmed down version called Softimage Mod Tool for people such as ourselves.

The Mod Tool (and I presume the full version) does have an import option that can still open the old Softimage files on the CD's. That's how I managed to get the render of the IC Leonov Base (see above) and the miner in Night's sig. So in the end, I don't really see the need for anyone to ever concern themselves with the programs on CD 16, as equivalent tools are already available for free:

Get Softimage Mod Tool
Last edited by Adaven on Wed May 11, 2011 12:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
pkk

Post by pkk »

HSharp wrote:QUOTE (HSharp @ May 10 2011, 04:50 PM) Most likely the Borg box is PKK especially as it is mach2.
It should now seeding 24/7 with a high bandwidth... ;)
The Escapist (Justin Emerson) @ Dec 21 2010, 02:33 PM:
The history of open-source Allegiance is paved with the bodies of dead code branches, forum flame wars, and personal vendettas. But a community remains because people still love the game.
yiggz

Post by yiggz »

Is this still around?