Overall game design from YOUR perspective

The land-based version of Allegiance, under construction.
fuzzylunkin1

Post by fuzzylunkin1 »

In order for infantry to act as pods they would need a one-shot-kill type of thing or be much slower than vehicles. Speed is a definite issue.

Tanks/vehicles will only work if they go fairly slow or we have very large sectors. Basically, you should be able to cruise through a sector in the same amount of time you do in Allegiance. I believe measuring speeds in m/s won't work very well, and we should use something like km/h.

Also, we shouldn't do Allegiance on wheels because Allegiance was specifically crafted for space-combat. As Finn said, we should just use it as a model - a damn good one, at that.
Last edited by fuzzylunkin1 on Mon Feb 02, 2009 3:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
sambasti

Post by sambasti »

I still stick by the mech suit concept.
Valiance

Post by Valiance »

fuzzylunkin1 wrote:
QUOTE (fuzzylunkin1 @ Feb 1 2009, 08:41 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
In order for infantry to act as pods they would need a one-shot-kill type of thing or be much slower than vehicles. Speed is a definite issue.

I dont see speed as an issue; the slowest thing weare probably going to have is tanks, and modern day tanks are easily faster than people. the main point i really care about is that when "podded", you should be able to get into vehicles and pickup any weapons you find around. I managed to decipher a post in one of the more dead threads by this guy with serious spelling issues, who has what i think is a really good idea*
sambasti wrote:
QUOTE (sambasti @ Feb 1 2009, 09:16 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I still stick by the mech suit concept.

+1

*and here is said idea:
First OFF U have to get the IDEA THAT podz do NOT DIE Unless Killed.. PODZ are simply YOUR character without a vehicle or a suit.. ALL Infantry will have a suit that providez armor.. AKA U have 3 setz of "life" to worry about.... Your "Health" (( which iz your POD basically)) ITZ your trooper with NO infantry suit on and in no vehicle..Takez perhaps 3 to 4 bulletz to kill a P.O.D.. ANd PODz only have a limited weapon array..AKA a Machine gun ((weakest in the game)), A hand gun.. and perhapz a limited suplly of gernadez..There for makin PODz not useless but NOT very effective...
Az Your second "health" iz the "Armor" class... ALL Battle SUITZ((aka INFANTRY)) MECHZ Vehicles and Stationz have a certian ammount of armor (( note only Your POD will have health not vehiclez and mechz and stationz)) Example here for troopz.. YOU choose the "Scout" Infantry Combat Suit- AKA U have great Speed and mobility..A LARGE RADAR rng..A Machine Gun (( probably the same one U have when a pod)) a hand gun and limited grenadez.. Along with the ablility to lay MINE traps or whatever the equivilent iz in the game.. U would have 2 Helath meterz .. (( and this iz a rough draft of it )) AKA Life/100%-Armor/100%[310] this would mean.. U have 310 Lt Armor POINTZ and 100% health.... NOW In game U take fire from enemy unitz.. YOUR ARMOR.. NOT your health would go down (( and without NANNAGE would not go back up just like in allegiance)).. WHEN YOUR armor reachez 0 YOur SUIT popz and YOU are now A P.O.D.. AKA about 2 shotz and YUR DUST.. YOU also would lose Mobility, LOSE your RADAR COMPLETELY....(( NOW this totally doesnt take into account Shieldz..BUT for this example say we r USING a BELTER trooper))[/quote]
Last edited by Valiance on Mon Feb 02, 2009 5:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ImageImage
XP105

Post by XP105 »

*watches his spellcheck explode*

After 15 minutes of trying to understand what he/she said, i gave up trying and to this point still have no idea what he was talking about, so any chance you can clear that up for me? -_-
HSharp

Post by HSharp »

It's easy to understand VeggyFish
XP105

Post by XP105 »

I would still prefere the pod idea to be, injuried infantry with nothing more then a weak pistol. Injuried meaning slow moving and will die in 5 minutes
Valiance

Post by Valiance »

At XP's request:

First off, you have to get the idea that pods do NOT Die Unless Killed. Pods are simply character without a vehicle or a suit. ALL Infantry will have a suit that provides armour. by which i mean, you have 3 sets of "life" to worry about:
Your "Health", which is the hull belonging to you pod; which is your trooper with no infantry suit on and not in a vehicle. It should take about 3 to 4 bullets to kill a pod. Pods only have a limited weapon array: a Machine gun (weakest in the game), a hand gun, and perhaps a limited supply of grenades. The weapons are there for making pods ineffective, but not totally uselss.
Your second "health" is the "Armor" class. ALL battle suits, (aka infantry) mechs, vehicles and Stations have a certain amount of armour. (N.B, only Your pod will have health, not vehicles and mechs and stations) For example, here for the infantry selection, you choose the "Scout" Infantry Combat Suit, a class which has great Speed, great mobility, a large radar, lots of energy, a machine Gun (probably the same one you have when a pod) a hand gun and limited grenades, along with the ablility to lay land-mines or whatever. You would have 2 Health meters, (and this is a rough draft of it) Life/100% and Armour/100% (310 light armour) This would mean that you have 310 Light Armour points and 100% health. In game, if you take damage from enemy units, your armour, not your your health is depleted. Without being nanned, this would not go back up, just like in allegiance When your armour reaches zero, your suit popz and you are now a pod. By which i mean, 2 shots, and your history. You also would lose Mobility and lose your radar completely. this doesnt take into account shields, but lets just say we are talking about a belters troopers.[/quote]

At least jimmy uses real words...
Last edited by Valiance on Mon Feb 02, 2009 10:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ImageImage
fuzzylunkin1

Post by fuzzylunkin1 »

I like it. I also completely understood the original post :) .
juckto

Post by juckto »

Why would a bunch of vehicles be different?[/quote]
Because vehicles can't turn on a dime, so lag isn't so much of an issue.

Oh wait, I forgot who I'm talking to.

Do you still disagree with this? if so, why?[/quote]
Disagree with what? You haven't made any clear points.
Last edited by juckto on Tue Feb 03, 2009 12:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
Usually though, "skill" is used to covertly mean "match the game exactly to my level of competence." Anyone who is at all worse than me should fail utterly (and humorously!) and anyone better is clearly too caught up in the game and their opinions shouldn't count.
fuzzylunkin1

Post by fuzzylunkin1 »

Hey, I'm trying to HELP. GTFO, or do it yourself.