Modeling for Allegiance

A place to discuss user-created Allegiance 3D models, textures, images, and other visual ingame content.
beeman

Post by beeman »

O.K...so I made a model, see this link

http://www.freeallegiance.org/forums/index...showtopic=44318

Now that was a first attempt and I would never propose THAT model for alleg. BUT suppose I came up with a geometry I liked, and wanted to make a model for allegiance - what would be the next steps? I am assuming it would be something like:

1) Add texture and materials for a "skin"
2) Export as .x file (truespace will export as .x....I don't think it will do .mdl)

can allegiance accept .x files?

3) Add lights (how do I add wing lights or strobes)?
4) @#(!....I really don't know what I'm doing...help?
"What if, star sailor, I were to come over your house and punch you in the $#@!ing face?!
Will that finally get you to shut the hell up?!?" -- neotoxin
Andon

Post by Andon »

http://www.freeallegiance.org/FAW/index.ph..._for_Allegiance

Use the wiki

Also - Talk to Compellor about the .x files
ImageImage
beeman

Post by beeman »

Andon wrote:
QUOTE (Andon @ Aug 17 2008, 07:36 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
http://www.freeallegiance.org/FAW/index.ph..._for_Allegiance

Use the wiki

Also - Talk to Compellor about the .x files

Thanks!!!
"What if, star sailor, I were to come over your house and punch you in the $#@!ing face?!
Compellor

Post by Compellor »

To the best of my knowledge, Truespace 7.6 will export a usable .x file. I haven't used it much though, it seems to run very slowly on my computer. I don't know exactly how to prep a mesh for export in Truespace, but in general you'll need to add cubes where you want each light, weapon mount, etc. to be. In the resulting .x file, the name of each cube's frame determines what it is. The .x file then needs to be run through the artwork tools to be converted into .mdl and .cvh files.

This post gives more detailed information, but in the context of converting Freespace 2 ships to Alleg via Blender, so there's a lot of irrelevant information.

For a simpler method, try Milkshape($) and the Wiki tutorial.
Any job worth doing with a laser is worth doing with many, many lasers. -Khrima
Beyond a shadow of a doubt if you don't watch them like a hawk they will stack their collective balls off - MrChaos on Alleg players
beeman

Post by beeman »

I read the milkshape tutorial...very non-intuitive (then again, I'm not a moddler). For example, why would one use a joint to locate the position of guns, cockpit, etc. Could it be that a joint just provides the necessary info. and some other construct could be used?
Andon

Post by Andon »

The joint is simply what the Allegiance exporter uses to put the positions pf everything in the .cvh file
ImageImage
madpeople

Post by madpeople »

fishbone wrote:
QUOTE (fishbone @ Aug 18 2008, 03:28 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I read the milkshape tutorial...very non-intuitive (then again, I'm not a moddler). For example, why would one use a joint to locate the position of guns, cockpit, etc. Could it be that a joint just provides the necessary info. and some other construct could be used?

yes.

The original MS models didn't use joints, they just used small cubes, you just need to put things with the right name in the right place to define the things the tutorial uses joints for.
beeman

Post by beeman »

madpeople wrote:
QUOTE (madpeople @ Aug 18 2008, 12:47 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
yes.

The original MS models didn't use joints, they just used small cubes, you just need to put things with the right name in the right place to define the things the tutorial uses joints for.

So that's what compellor was saying about cubes? Hmm....Let me make my uv map and I'll get back to you guys on this.