Allegiance under Mac/Linux

badpazzword

Post by badpazzword »

Huh, Cadi, we were trying to get it to run natively, not through emulators.
Have gaming questions? Get expert answers! Image Image
SaiSoma

Post by SaiSoma »

hey, if it runs, it runs. This means it's playable, in the current state. Looks like the wiki article needs to be updated:). Tashim, can I be your friend?smile.gif
echoism

Post by echoism »

SaiSoma wrote:
QUOTE (SaiSoma @ Sep 4 2008, 03:31 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
hey, if it runs, it runs. This means it's playable, in the current state. Looks like the wiki article needs to be updated:). Tashim, can I be your friend?smile.gif

Of course! I'm a newbie, and newbies need all the friends they can get.
A native client would definitely be better, no doubt. I just wanted to share my fun with the latest vmware (6.5). But, if you have more cpu than you really need for alleg, vmware sure beats dual-booting.
Clay_Pigeon

Post by Clay_Pigeon »

Badp wrote:
QUOTE (Badp @ Sep 4 2008, 04:29 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Huh, Cadi, we were trying to get it to run natively, not through emulators.

Virtualization is not emulation smile.gif

(ok....it's like emulation-lite tongue.gif)

There are a few issues that I think we need to examine before moving forward. If I have to be *that guy*, then sure, I'll do a new install of XP and try to run alleg on my mac. I'm concerned about ASGS however...specifically, how does the virtualizated environment react to ASGS's linking routines. My concern is that the virtualized environment returns a set of constants to ASGS. This would mean that everyone running Alleg in this manner would be linked.

Any linux users willing to give it a go? Let's not be TOO hasty in busting out the celebration cake.
Last edited by Clay_Pigeon on Thu Sep 04, 2008 10:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Therefore I will boast all the more gladly about my weaknesses, so that Christ's power may rest on me." -2 Cor 12:9
"Never know how long I've waited, anticipated your smile pressed against mine." -Running
echoism

Post by echoism »

What exactly gets linked?
I can run vmware workstation on another computer and create another account... but how will I know if they are linked?
Clay_Pigeon

Post by Clay_Pigeon »

Create the 2nd account, log in to ASGS with it, and then PM me both account names.

-T
"Therefore I will boast all the more gladly about my weaknesses, so that Christ's power may rest on me." -2 Cor 12:9
"Never know how long I've waited, anticipated your smile pressed against mine." -Running
madpeople

Post by madpeople »

clay: clarification: I assume you mean he is to create the second account on a different physical machine in the same VM (to see if the hardware hashes come back the same)?

Tashim wrote:
QUOTE (Tashim @ Sep 4 2008, 11:21 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
What exactly gets linked?
I can run vmware workstation on another computer and create another account... but how will I know if they are linked?

http://www.freeallegiance.org/FAW/index.ph...nking_Callsigns

when you login on a computer, asgs records hardware IDs and associates them with your account.

it then says, any other user names that login on a computer with the same hardware ids are also your accounts, so those other user names get linked to your original account.

you can only have 3 active user names, and only one can be logged in at any one time (a second successful logging in invalidates the first login and that makes asgs log out the first person who logged in, and you get people logging in and booting off the person they are linked to)

so if you login in a vm, and that vm always provides the same hardware IDs, anyone else who logs in using that vm on another computer, will have their account linked to yours.
Last edited by madpeople on Thu Sep 04, 2008 11:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Clay_Pigeon

Post by Clay_Pigeon »

madpeople wrote:
QUOTE (madpeople @ Sep 4 2008, 07:02 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
clay: clarification: I assume you mean he is to create the second account on a different physical machine in the same VM (to see if the hardware hashes come back the same)?

I think we need to test all combinations of this. How does ASGS report hashes

Same VM, different machine
Different VM, same machine
Different VM, different machine
echoism

Post by echoism »

Clay_Pigeon wrote:
QUOTE (Clay_Pigeon @ Sep 4 2008, 06:18 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I think we need to test all combinations of this. How does ASGS report hashes

Same VM, different machine
Different VM, same machine
Different VM, different machine

I'll create some and pm them to you over the weekend.
Clay_Pigeon

Post by Clay_Pigeon »

Be sure to use a different account for each scenario so we can trace the linking.