Allegiance under Mac/Linux

fuzzylunkin1

Post by fuzzylunkin1 »

Has anyone tried the most recent version of VirtualBox?
Grimmwolf_GB

Post by Grimmwolf_GB »

Tashim, thank you for being so open. smile.gif
Hopefully the VM bug (ASGS working in a vm is a bug) will be fixed in the next release. I suspect, that plenty of people will get their account linked.
Why is it a bug? VMs would be an easy and cheap way to get around lifetime bans.
SaiSoma

Post by SaiSoma »

Unless the VM can be allowed IF and only IF it reports actual hardware IDs .. which isn't likely:(.
Clay_Pigeon

Post by Clay_Pigeon »

fuzzylunkin1 wrote:
QUOTE (fuzzylunkin1 @ Sep 5 2008, 12:11 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Has anyone tried the most recent version of VirtualBox?

VBox doesn't have direct x accel.

-T
"Therefore I will boast all the more gladly about my weaknesses, so that Christ's power may rest on me." -2 Cor 12:9
"Never know how long I've waited, anticipated your smile pressed against mine." -Running
TheBored

Post by TheBored »

While awesome, don't get your hopes up. This will likely get locked down pretty soon wink.gif

TB
spideycw wrote:QUOTE (spideycw @ Nov 28 2008, 02:50 PM) All the retards are contained in one squad mostly (System X)
[18:48] <Imago> dont take me seriously
echoism

Post by echoism »

SaiSoma wrote:
QUOTE (SaiSoma @ Sep 5 2008, 07:58 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Unless the VM can be allowed IF and only IF it reports actual hardware IDs .. which isn't likely:(.

Yeah, I'm not sure which hardware asgs is concerned with. vmware does allow direct hardware ids for some thing, but not for others. vmware's primary goal is to to able to run anywhere, so anything that has a compatibility issue, tends to have a virtual (vmware) driver, and would probably look the same.
I'll be testing it this weekend so we'll know for sure.
FreeBeer

Post by FreeBeer »

I gave it a quick try last night, but I wasn't able to long on. I'm pretty sure that I have a technical issue with my particular install, so I'll not draw any conclusions just yet. I'll have to do a re-install then test again. Will post with results.
[img]http://www.freeallegiance.org/forums/st ... erator.gif" alt="IPB Image">

chown -R us base
echoism

Post by echoism »

Just so we're on the same page, I used vmware workstation 6.5 beta.
I'll be trying it on a few other operating systems this weekend.
badpazzword

Post by badpazzword »

Heh, if it works on one host OS it's bound to work on all.
Have gaming questions? Get expert answers! Image Image
echoism

Post by echoism »

It is true, that I expect the game to work on other operating systems, what I am testing is asgs callsign linking. Some hardware is accessed directly, some is virtualized.

The goal of the tests is two-fold:
1. To determine if the new vmware environment is uniquely identifiable by hardware.
2. To determine if the hardware identification is consistent per host.

If the vmware environment is too generic, then all virtual machines runing asgs would be linked, only allowing one of them online. This would not work well for the community, in which case I should have just kept my mouth shut and enjoyed playing the game on a linux host with nobody the wiser. tongue.gif

However, if asgs' identification is changed per instance of a virtual machine, then someone could just create another one to generate a new id, and effectively bypass the ban system that has been put in place. Additional installs on the same system, using clones, changing config, that all needs to be determined.

If I get the same hardware identification on a given host machine, regardless of which virtual machine I am running, AND that identification is different from other vmware workstation hosts, then it is fine to leave it as-is, and it can be deemed permissible.

The odds are not in favor of both conditions being met, but I am testing them anyway. Perhaps asgs can be updated to work with vmware, perhaps different criteria would work, perhaps not. Once I have some solid tests done, that will give a starting point. As people have pointed out to me, it will probably end up getting disabled.

My perspective is that I'm a newb, and I'm just probing. Hopefully the information will be helpful. Oh, and I have a nanite gun too, but I'm still learning how to aim.