Allegiance under Mac/Linux

FreeBeer

Post by FreeBeer »

Side note to all of this... thanks for your efforts, Tashim, and welcome to the community!
[img]http://www.freeallegiance.org/forums/st ... erator.gif" alt="IPB Image">

chown -R us base
echoism

Post by echoism »

I tried using vmware on a windows host, but asgs refused the connection, and said that it was an invalid key. I assume that the way vmware was blocked in the past, was simply to ban or disable the hardware id hash that it generates.

A linux host, however, appears to have a different ID, as it did successfully authenticate. In the past this wasn't really an issue because vmware didn't support 3D hardware acceleration, and game performance was unplayable. That is no longer the case with vmware workstation 6.5.

I created another virtual machine (with a linux host) and an account, asgs logged off the first one. This is good, as a different configuration on the same host had the same id.

I don't have another linux system with a sufficient video card to play free alleg. If anyone else can try to get it running, I'd like to test to see if it will link with the account that I've made.
badpazzword

Post by badpazzword »

Heh. Try now on Linux, you'll likely get the same error.
Have gaming questions? Get expert answers! Image Image
echoism

Post by echoism »

I can still authenticate successfully with linux.
barizanz

Post by barizanz »

Tried a different method this weekend
Kind of cheating since its not a pure linux solution though

Run Allegiance on one pc then use tightvnc to connect to it over a network. It almost works but has two huge problems. First the framerate is horrible. One screen would be great: 50 something lag, great frame rate, the other one would refresh 1/4 screen every 3 seconds during flight. The other problem is that the mouse through vnc behaves like a laptop touch pad. Move the mouse 3 pixels on the linux box and it moves across the screen in xp. It seems to be some vnc allegiance issue since the mouse acts normally outside the game.

Either way, tried it, it didn't work. Just thought I'd throw it out there.
Last edited by barizanz on Sun Sep 14, 2008 11:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ImageImage
badpazzword

Post by badpazzword »

Despite that, I guess VPN would be legit.

Not even does Ethernet offer a fat enough pipe for regular windows to be trasmitted at full colour and fps, though. There was this demonstration vid on Linux.com of kpdf lagging behind horribly when using X's networked window feature.

There is software that compress the graphics stream to acceptable speeds, but would it be enough fps for even probe whoring duties? I have no clue.

I got to the video from this article but the links appear to be badly broken.
Have gaming questions? Get expert answers! Image Image
Clay_Pigeon

Post by Clay_Pigeon »

I've also been unable to reproduce Tashim's results. I installed Ubuntu via Wubi on the Windows partition of my Mac. Got vmware workstation 6.0.5, installed windows xp (didn't activate), installed alleg + prereqs. ASGS returns "client submitted an invalid key"

Downloaded vmware workstation 6.5 beta. Upgraded vmware and virtual machine. ASGS still returns "client submitted an invalid key"

Has anyone else been able to duplicate Tashim's work? I don't want to accuse him of misleading us (he seems like a stand up key), but clearly his computer has some mojo that our computers are lacking.
"Therefore I will boast all the more gladly about my weaknesses, so that Christ's power may rest on me." -2 Cor 12:9
"Never know how long I've waited, anticipated your smile pressed against mine." -Running
echoism

Post by echoism »

I'm not an expert in vmware, but from what I understand, the upgrades are not the same as a fresh install, particularly with vm tools.

I did install nvidia drivers on ubuntu (it is considered a restricted driver, as its not opensource), but thats about the only non-standard thing I did with it, in order to get decent hardware acceleration.
Gappy

Post by Gappy »

My @Alleg account has a pass that enables me to log in via VMWare fusion with it, but Alleg is still unplayable using VMWare Fusion 2.0, even with a fresh update of VMWare tools. I get a framerate of about .7 fps. I wouldn't put too much effort into trying to authenticate via VMWare right now, no point since the game is still unplayable, even for probing.
We've upped our standards. Up yours.
Clay_Pigeon

Post by Clay_Pigeon »

I'm playing with the free release of crossover games for mac that was made available this week. It's a customized version of Wine, and they made it available for free on Tuesday.

Training missions actually proceed without crash, but I have pretty substantial graphics corruption. I'm going to install the beta and see how that fares.
"Therefore I will boast all the more gladly about my weaknesses, so that Christ's power may rest on me." -2 Cor 12:9
"Never know how long I've waited, anticipated your smile pressed against mine." -Running