trueSpace 7.6 (3D modeling) is now free

Discussion area for user-created Allegiance models, textures, voicechats, music, and other ingame content.
KGJV

Post by KGJV »

In case you missed it: trueSpace 7.6 is now free - http://www.caligari.com/
SP4WN

Post by SP4WN »

Thanks Very much for the notice KGJV.

*Goes for a DL.
beeman

Post by beeman »

what's the catch (30 day trial?)? Can it be used to make alleg models?
"What if, star sailor, I were to come over your house and punch you in the $#@!ing face?!
Will that finally get you to shut the hell up?!?" -- neotoxin
Adaven

Post by Adaven »

There is no catch I believe. Older Versions of Truespace have been made available by Caligari before (I've got 4.3 on my machine from this).

It should work to make Alleg models just as well as any other program. You'll need to figure out the .x conversion tools in the source, or use milkshape to convert it to .mdl though.
beeman

Post by beeman »

Here's the skinny: I contacted Caligari and they told me it is a full version of the code. Not limited, not a trial version. When I asked why they are giving away their flagship code they responded that Caligari is now a wholly owned subsidiary of Microsoft Corporation - and Microsoft decided to release the code to encourage sharing of 3D models and modelling techniques.

So there it is...all models, tutorials, manuals are free. I downloaded it myself and it is waaaayyy cool. If I actually get something worthy built, I'm hoping there are ppl here who can help me turn .x into .mdl.
"What if, star sailor, I were to come over your house and punch you in the $#@!ing face?!
SP4WN

Post by SP4WN »

TL;DR version:

I DL'd it, its full and pwns!
beeman

Post by beeman »

SP4WN wrote:
QUOTE (SP4WN @ Aug 7 2008, 07:16 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
TL;DR version:

I DL'd it, its full and pwns!

I'm sorry, can someone translate?
KGJV

Post by KGJV »

fishbone wrote:
QUOTE (fishbone @ Aug 8 2008, 01:58 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Here's the skinny: I contacted Caligari and they told me it is a full version of the code. Not limited, not a trial version. When I asked why they are giving away their flagship code they responded that Caligari is now a wholly owned subsidiary of Microsoft Corporation - and Microsoft decided to release the code to encourage sharing of 3D models and modelling techniques.

It's part of Microsoft's master plan to promote XNA. Free trueSpace was announced here http://creators.xna.com/

they had a free development tool (XNA GS) and now have a free 3D modeler.

Their business is in the XNA subscriptionsn, Xbox subscriptions and of course selling Xbox consoles and Zune. Everything needed to create games on these are free.
Last edited by KGJV on Fri Aug 08, 2008 12:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
jpomailo2

Post by jpomailo2 »

is there any version of true space i can get for a mac (dang you apple!!!!)
Jpomail > Does weed always type like that?
FreeBeer > No, no. Sometimes he uses his fingers.
beeman

Post by beeman »

I did the first tutorial, messed around...here is what 10 minutes got me...and I've never modeled anything before in my life.

Just think if I knew how to model and spent , say, 1 hour ?