question

The land-based version of Allegiance, under construction.
Virex

Post by Virex »

Cookie Monster wrote:QUOTE (Cookie Monster @ Jan 12 2009, 09:56 PM) Orbital installations would add a unique dimension to the game, but they would have to be completely effect-based, it depends whether we will be able to actually see them when you look up into the sky, but you certainly wont be able to launch from them.

But then it brings the question of how they would be destroyed, I guess we could make them alien stations that we have to build a certain struction like a signal tower in order to control them, but then would that be deviating too far from the concept of Alleg?
I'd say building a relay tower isn't too great. Instead I'd imagine that most areas in orbital structures are quite small, whit some large hangars and loading bays. Building structures would be restricted to the huge areas and the controll of special effects (air locks, assembly lines, molten metal or anything else you could come up with) are only accesible throguh small pathways. That'd mean you could controll parts of the sector through building structures, but a large section can only be accesed with small vehicles or infantry.

For some of the urban area's I was actualy thinking the same. I was thinking about huge, stacked citties, in which there are several levels and each of those levels has a street plan with small and big streets and squares. the squares would be large enough to build structures in, and perhaps some broad boulevards as well. The smaller streets would give acces ways for vehicles and infantry would be able to use the small alleys and go inside structures.
Zero_Falcon

Post by Zero_Falcon »

Arson_Fire wrote:QUOTE (Arson_Fire @ Jan 13 2009, 02:56 PM) I would like to open the possibility of seeing a newbie tumbling through space in a tank.
Ok, I'm mostly oblivious to Quantus - is this going to be like a Halo FPS shooter game, or do we get atmospheric flight controls with the ships from Allegiance?
finnbryant

Post by finnbryant »

it will be an fps shooter game, but very little like halo. halo is a shooter for people who cannot or do not want to communicate with each other.

and there will be vehicles(the focus will be much more on vehicles than in halo, think of infantry being something like scouts and stealth fighters and vehicles being most other things, but we aren't going to stick to that exactly), including aircraft, but probably slower than allegs (both because atmospheres slow things down and because the sectors will probably be smaller, depending on technical issues), the focus will be on the ground, not in the air.
fuzzylunkin1

Post by fuzzylunkin1 »

One thing to keep in mind is programming an environment with ground/sky etc takes up much more resources. Allegiance is easily run on low memory because it's just bases, asteroids, and ships (plus a few extra, non-mandatory items).