Phoenix?

Discussion / Announcement area for Dark Nebulae Core development.
Eonix

Post by Eonix »

Some ppl say that nix is an extremely cheesy faction which guarantees easy wins (in other words: Nix = Easy mode)

Then I have another group of pilots who said that nix is an extremely hard faction to master and to win with (in other words: Nix = Hard mode)

I have met with too many versions on how to explain nix, gimme the truth... wacko.gif

Perhaps the best person to explain nix would be Noir?

Post by Cadillac »

Simple:

Whoever tells you Nix is hard to win with is newbie.
Image Image Image
"If you wish to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first invent the universe." Carl Sagan ("The Lives of the Stars" ep. 9 Cosmos)
Rants Blog Cadillac, *Wurflet@Event, ?GoldDragon@Alleg, ^Biggus*#$@us@XT, +Ashandarei@Zone
WhiskeyGhost

Post by WhiskeyGhost »

It's all situational really. Small game nix is overpowered because of the few people needed for bomber runs (6 people can do two runs at the same time with those nasty assault shields easily until the enemy gets up some sort of decent tech like EMP cannons, emp mines or Dis2/3, with exceptions to well placed proximity/minepacks). But nix in large games isn't nearly as powerful since their tech is relatively useless when shield killing tech comes enmasse and you can't repair your ships (sb's aren't bad, but HTT's and Bomber/Hvy bombers won't work in 'normal' runs easily, due to massive eye from their shield which contain most of the ships health having to be abandoned so you aren't so easily spotted coming. Exceptions of course are tp2/xrm runs, ones on ridiculously close to aleph bases, and a sheer lack of probing or effort).

At least, thats mostly what i lean from seeing them played.
Rand0m_Numb3r wrote:QUOTE (Rand0m_Numb3r @ Aug 9 2007, 12:27 AM)CURSES I HAVE BEEN DEFEATED!
Eonix

Post by Eonix »

So nix is at its highest potential in small games, but is at risk of defeat in large games? (e.g. Zone Games)

Post by Evincar »

nix tp2 is hands down the most powerful game ending tech there is. it is virtually unstoppable (sadly you never see it. most people do stupid @#(! with nix, or lose before)
Classifiable up to Trolleomorphism.
Ramaglor

Post by Ramaglor »

A large part of nix loses can be attributed to attempts to skip over the standard tech paths and to forget about nanning utility.
Spidey's tactical advice on TS during Tourny game
QUOTE We don't need to save our thingy.[/quote]
Eonix

Post by Eonix »

Ramaglor wrote:
QUOTE (Ramaglor @ May 19 2008, 10:58 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
A large part of nix loses can be attributed to attempts to skip over the standard tech paths

You mean like sacrificing the chance to get ints via an exp to invest all the big $$$ in the cheat device called the 'Transceiver'?

Post by apochboi »

As factions go Phoenix is a bit of a mess.
CronoDroid

Post by CronoDroid »

Nix sucks for a lot of people because people don't know and possibly will never know how to command it. It's like GT but worse for some reason. Whiskey's response illustrates the way Nix is NOT supposed to be played. Hint: It doesn't involve buying bombers.

It has a really good economy, good hitboxes and every techpath works quite well. Command Nix the way you'd command any other faction and it is very good. IE, take the map, kill miners, get Adv Tech. Commanding Nix does not involve Starbase or Transciever until you have Hvy Ints, Hunter3 or Galvs. Like Ramaglor said really.
WhiskeyGhost

Post by WhiskeyGhost »

CronoDroid wrote:
QUOTE (CronoDroid @ May 20 2008, 08:22 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Nix sucks for a lot of people because people don't know and possibly will never know how to command it. It's like GT but worse for some reason. Whiskey's response illustrates the way Nix is NOT supposed to be played. Hint: It doesn't involve buying bombers.

It has a really good economy, good hitboxes and every techpath works quite well. Command Nix the way you'd command any other faction and it is very good. IE, take the map, kill miners, get Adv Tech. Commanding Nix does not involve Starbase or Transciever until you have Hvy Ints, Hunter3 or Galvs. Like Ramaglor said really.

pretty much. Basic bombing with nix doesn't work, when theres actual teams playing. Just trying to point out that the reason people win with em in those small 5v5 side games is all doh.gif
Rand0m_Numb3r wrote:QUOTE (Rand0m_Numb3r @ Aug 9 2007, 12:27 AM)CURSES I HAVE BEEN DEFEATED!