Treasure and powerups

Development area for FreeAllegiance's Community Core.
Jonan

Post by Jonan »

Remove the random treasure and those Nintendo-style power ups. They are irritating.

Tech can be stolen, and power-ups found floating in the middle of the expanding dust cloud that was your enemy, sure.

Make money PU random within limits, and make stolen tech to be researched.

Code change for the last two, I think, so nvm them.
My Sig
Grim_Reaper_4u

Post by Grim_Reaper_4u »

Agreed, make it so. Powerups are plain silly and unrealistic and random treasures although not unrealistic are a feature which is better turned off by default in game settings smile.gif
Last edited by Grim_Reaper_4u on Tue May 13, 2008 3:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kltplzyxm

Post by Kltplzyxm »

Jonan wrote:
QUOTE (Jonan @ May 13 2008, 08:15 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Tech can be stolen, and power-ups found floating in the middle of the expanding dust cloud that was your enemy, sure.

Tech yes, powerup after a podding? No. That is only encouraging whores with massive kbs to kill even more and it actually is a boon to them so they can keep on killing. Just flat out turn off power ups and send everybody packing. Either that or replace it with just fuel or ammo floating around for longer periods than pod debris.
Last edited by Kltplzyxm on Tue May 13, 2008 4:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
privateerm

Post by privateerm »

Mr. Kltplzyxm wrote:
QUOTE (Mr. Kltplzyxm @ May 13 2008, 01:11 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Tech yes, powerup after a podding? No. That is only encouraging whores with massive kbs to kill even more and it actually is a boon to them so they can keep on killing. Just flat out turn off power ups and send everybody packing. Either that or replace it with just fuel or ammo floating around for longer periods than pod debris.

I would have agreed whole heartily a couple of months ago about removing the powerups but I now do think there has to be an element of "arcade" style fun to keep PU games from getting dry. I know they don't quite make sense, but if you are looking for logic, whats up with the nan gun???? Come one!!!!! Perhaps the powerups are just big bunches of Nanniets that you pick up.

Perhaps another switch?
Blah blah blah blah (breath) blah blah blah blah (breath) oh, what was this thread about again......
juckto

Post by juckto »

http://www.allegacademy.org/science/nanites.shtml

Since treasures can already be removed by the GC this discussion is kinda moot. I like kylt's idea about making ammo/fuel last longer though.
Usually though, "skill" is used to covertly mean "match the game exactly to my level of competence." Anyone who is at all worse than me should fail utterly (and humorously!) and anyone better is clearly too caught up in the game and their opinions shouldn't count.
madpeople

Post by madpeople »

juckto wrote:
QUOTE (juckto @ May 13 2008, 08:48 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I like kylt's idea about making ammo/fuel last longer though.

+1 smile.gif

can ammo/fuel be added to treasure sets? (i haven't really looked in that part of ICE, and this is as much a suggestion as a can it be done question)
Last edited by madpeople on Tue May 13, 2008 8:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jonan

Post by Jonan »

I don't like the direction this thread is going. If you're not a yes man, go away.
My Sig
WhiskeyGhost

Post by WhiskeyGhost »

madpeople wrote:
QUOTE (madpeople @ May 13 2008, 03:29 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
+1 smile.gif

can ammo/fuel be added to treasure sets? (i haven't really looked in that part of ICE, and this is as much a suggestion as a can it be done question)

Yes, you can add ammo/fuel. You can even make more types of ammo/fuel if you wish, by making different amounts easily enough, and all them all to the treasures list. (in other words, you could make a small ammo box with say 200 rounds, a medium with 500, and a large with 1000 but it might clog up the loadout screen unless theres some sort of workaround for it).

As for the length of how long it lasts, i haven't a clue on that.
Last edited by WhiskeyGhost on Tue May 13, 2008 11:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rand0m_Numb3r wrote:QUOTE (Rand0m_Numb3r @ Aug 9 2007, 12:27 AM)CURSES I HAVE BEEN DEFEATED!
Ramaglor

Post by Ramaglor »

And you could make money amounts relatively random by making multiple cashbox treasures (probability adjusted of course).
Spidey's tactical advice on TS during Tourny game
QUOTE We don't need to save our thingy.[/quote]
Grim_Reaper_4u

Post by Grim_Reaper_4u »

I don't think adding free random money/tech is a good idea. If you need cash then mine or use paydays, don't rely on cashboxes. Did you know that with a a few decent scouts bios can get full adv tech pretty quickly without ever mining? I'd much prefer no cashboxes and no free tech, this way comms will finally go and buy nan2 or dis2 or whatever and not wait until the team picks it up. There should be no treasures unless the tech is dropped by the other team after you destroy a ship.

Free tech is ridiculous and it causes problems because teams progress too fast through the tech tree. Imagine going Tacspansion, if you pick up mini2, lrm2, util2 that's about 2 full miner loads of free tech which you really should have paid for. It also gives the other team at least 5 minutes less time defending against weaker ships. We really should remove the arcade style @#(! that is still floating around alleg smile.gif (and yes I know you can turn it off but when was the last time you ever saw anyone turn down free tech? wink.gif )