Alpha testing new graphics engine

Questions / Announcements area for beta tests of Allegiance's future updates.
Dogbones

Post by Dogbones »

This is an ALPHA release deemed stable enough to run on the live servers. If you have any problem please post here and DO NOT post in the Help line. Use the regular Allegiance.exe if you run into problems.

This alpha test is intended to
  • Get a number of people with different graphics card configurations to test the upgraded graphics engine so we can identify incompatibilities.
  • Please post your Operating system, graphics card, and graphics card driver here if you CAN or CANNOT run the alpha.
  • Allow those currently 'crippled' by nVidia's drivers to play
  • Please realize this is an alpha and there are 'issues', do not flood us with minor complaints/issues
How to get it:Copy/move it to where you have Allegiance installed (e.g. C:\Program Files\Allegiance). You will need to rename it to Allegiance.exe. I'd suggest making a backup copy of Allegiance.exe first (just copy paste it) so you copy that back in place if needed. Otherwise use "repair / update critical files" and ASGS will download the 'regular' version of the R4 client.

Launch Allegiance as you did before (through ASGS).
DO NOT launch it from ASGS in beta mode, that is for the beta, this is different.

The Esc menu should report
FAZ R4-32B Build # 08.04.08 for the regular client
FAZ R4-32B Build # 08.04.15 for the alpha client

You may need to download a DX9 dll (it will complain about a missing dll). Place this in your regular allegiance folder (same folder as Allegiance.exe): http://www.dll-files.com/dllindex/dll-files.shtml?d3dx9_30

A NEW device settings box will appear. It will remember your settings but you need to set them fairly quickly otherwise ASGS will time you out (saying Allegiance failed to start in the alloted time).

For now
  • Stick to under 512x512 textures sizes
  • Enable vertical sync
  • Leave "Use texture pack file" unchecked
  • Keep antialiasing under 8x
  • Run it full screen
Known issues
  • The launch door animation does not work. Just click in the black area where the door would be to launch
  • Antialiasing of 8x crashes the client (you are welcome to give it a try and if it does not crash your client let us know)
  • Some graphics, like mines, have black boxes around them
  • Highlighted items (like the box around a selected ship) is fairly faint
  • When podded (and rarely/sometimes in a regular ship) you may see the gauges replicated (like an old projector out of alignment). This should clear on docking and relaunch)
  • The edge of the F4 loadout panel is jagged
  • The team event message colors are off/wrong. The team chat color is also a bit off.
  • Explosions are very pixelated
  • Sometimes (as in not always) the flashing windows taskbar network 'status' lights show through
  • Some Intel integrated graphics chipsets won't run the client at all (this MAY be fixable so don't assume if it does not work now it won't work at all down the road)
  • The alpha uses the graphics mode you select under resolution at the start and not what is set from inside allegiance.
Last edited by Dogbones on Tue Apr 29, 2008 2:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DOG PROPERTY LAWS:
2. If it's in my mouth, it's mine.
[unless it tastes bad, then it is yours.]
pkk

Post by pkk »

Are you sure this version is using 1.0 reg keys?
The Escapist (Justin Emerson) @ Dec 21 2010, 02:33 PM:
The history of open-source Allegiance is paved with the bodies of dead code branches, forum flame wars, and personal vendettas. But a community remains because people still love the game.
Dogbones

Post by Dogbones »

Yes, the version I am about to post is using the 1.0 keys.
I've edited the posts to reflect this. I am having problems uploading the file otherwise it would have been done before these posts were finished.

Edit: upload complete... took me 5 tries :(

Dog
Last edited by Dogbones on Sun Apr 27, 2008 7:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DOG PROPERTY LAWS:
2. If it's in my mouth, it's mine.
[unless it tastes bad, then it is yours.]
Grimmwolf_GB

Post by Grimmwolf_GB »

shouldn't the march update of DX9 fix the dll issue?
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details...;DisplayLang=en
ogorass

Post by ogorass »

Grimm: yep, the new DX9 fixes the .dll issue smile.gif

@Dog: runs fine on my GeForce 8600M GS 256MB. Things I've noticed: sometimes the HUD gouges get smeared all over the place. The mines (the small ones, that appear after you drop prox) have black squares around them. Otherwise, I get steady 200fps at 1680x1050 @ 32bit. Sweet! mrgreen.gif Great job!
Kap

Post by Kap »

Worked on my Windows XP Pro, nvidia FX5200, with 163.71 forceware drivers.
ImageImage
If A is success in life, then A equals x plus y plus z. Work is x; y is play; and z is keeping your mouth shut. -- Albert Einstein
Curiosity

Post by Curiosity »

OMG my newly downloaded DX9 is finally being put to use!!

Yee-haaaaaw!
juckto

Post by juckto »

CANNOT run.

Windows XP, Not sure how to check what graphics card it uses, but what I found says: Intel® 82845G/GL/GE/PE/GC Graphics Controller
Usually though, "skill" is used to covertly mean "match the game exactly to my level of competence." Anyone who is at all worse than me should fail utterly (and humorously!) and anyone better is clearly too caught up in the game and their opinions shouldn't count.
SpacePenguin

Post by SpacePenguin »

It doesn't work for me. I get to the device settings selection screen, then click "OK", and the Allegiance executable seems to start and exit.

ASGS reports:

• Allegiance exited with code: x5c9b035fed62d487
• Creating Crashfile
• Beginning Logout
• Closing processes
• Sending Logout Request
• Logged Out

-------------------

Display drivers: Intel 945? 950? I'm using the drivers from here
Icemansab

Post by Icemansab »

Hey I got that darn error too, only it was after I installed CortUI