In Base Alarms

Discussion / Announcement area for Dark Nebulae Core development.
shibbyx1

Post by shibbyx1 »

I was thinking if it would be any use if a base had an "Alarm" system. It could be triggered when the base is under attack and may help newbies relise it more than just the "base under attack" voice over. Plus it would sound cool.

Then i thought, after looking at ICE, and remembering that the damn copywrite still existed on most sound effects from most games, it would probably be asking to much. As a new sound file would have to be created (as in record some Alarm that doesn't sound like a strangeled cat singing)

Even though base under attack voice over already has a trigger, it comes even when your not in the base, would it require to much more coding to get a trigger only for players inside that base?

Edit: @#$% typos tongue.gif

i'm not saying this is needed or anything, it's just an idea, but with cap core going around (and possibly late night core) i would call this idea....well...an idea basically

2nd Edit: more @#$% typos
Last edited by shibbyx1 on Tue Apr 15, 2008 12:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
Image Image
quote 'djrbk I'm quitting Allegiance unless someone quotes me on something I said in their sig
Kltplzyxm

Post by Kltplzyxm »

Ugh... that would be so annoying! Just learn to play the game!
shibbyx1

Post by shibbyx1 »

Mr. Kltplzyxm wrote:
QUOTE (Mr. Kltplzyxm @ Apr 15 2008, 10:44 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Ugh... that would be so annoying! Just learn to play the game!

0.o

i know how to play the game! im talking about something thta could be around for those numbered users, plus you would only hear it if you were in that base so.....

Point 1: if you are the commander, get inot another base or have fun comming in combat or in a pod.
Point 2: if you know how to play, you should NOT be in the base when it's getting attacked and so you would NOT hear the alarm. And choosing your loadout should not take that long for it to become annoying, even if you are doing a very specific loadout.
Point 3: just easing the learning curve a bit would be helpful to #'s while still having the learning curve act as semi-filter for @#$holes
Point 4: the reason it would only be for #'s is because experianced players wouldn't be in base long enough to enjoy/be annoyed by it
Point 5: have you noticed alot of #'s sit in base and do nothing while it gets destroyed? this would help them relise "hey wtf? something is happening"
Point 6: you could only hear it if you were INSIDE the base being attacked and would not hear it anywhere else
Point 7: judging by your comment, you wouldn't be inside the base waiting for it to be killed anyway, so you wouldn't hear it
Point 8: it was just an idea, i never said it was good, plus i am, at most times, i huge newbie supporter, even though i usually get bugged by spamming #'s alot

Question 1: does Cadet 1 for newbies accept inters? i plan on eventually going through the whole Cadet 2, ACS etc, and have to start at cadet 1 anyway?

Edit: @#$% typos again

Edit 2: when i say "i know how to play" i mean that i'm not usless to the team, and know that the ranking system doesn't fully reflect skill.
Last edited by shibbyx1 on Tue Apr 15, 2008 1:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
Image Image
quote 'djrbk I'm quitting Allegiance unless someone quotes me on something I said in their sig
juckto

Post by juckto »

Last edited by juckto on Tue Apr 15, 2008 2:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
Usually though, "skill" is used to covertly mean "match the game exactly to my level of competence." Anyone who is at all worse than me should fail utterly (and humorously!) and anyone better is clearly too caught up in the game and their opinions shouldn't count.
shibbyx1

Post by shibbyx1 »

juckto wrote:
QUOTE (juckto @ Apr 15 2008, 12:02 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

and how is that currently working?

it's been so long since i heard that i forgot about that one.... although i wouldn't really call that an alarm

this was just an idea, but for #'s so it would be more dramatic and alearting

Edit: typos again......
Last edited by shibbyx1 on Tue Apr 15, 2008 2:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
Image Image
Dogbones

Post by Dogbones »

shibbster wrote:
QUOTE (shibbster @ Apr 14 2008, 10:07 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
and how is that currently working?

Well you hear it when the station integrity is low wink.gif

I do not know the threshold off hand, but the base needs to be pretty damaged (shields at 0% and hull at maybe 10% or 5%).

I suppose we could add an alarm that got kicked off at say 90% damage. But it would be pretty annoying I think. I guess the vets could always rename that wav/ogg file.
DOG PROPERTY LAWS:
2. If it's in my mouth, it's mine.
[unless it tastes bad, then it is yours.]
shibbyx1

Post by shibbyx1 »

it wouldn't annoying the vets if it was only for #'s though like (0)

or have a feature to turn it off, but it was just an idea for #'s not really needed for experianced people
Image Image
apochboi

Post by apochboi »

mmmm alot of work for nothing. id rather the noobs gained more spacial awareness playing not with new fandangled alarms.
Vlymoxyd

Post by Vlymoxyd »

Also, it would be completely useless in 99% of the situations. Think about it:

A newbie who is clueless enough to be unable to tell that one of his base is getting bombed probably won't know how to transfer between stations.
If the newbie don't know how to transfer and that the sector he is in is getting bombed, well, he'll launch in the sector that is getting bombed(duh).

I think the odds are almost non existant that a newbie will transfer away from a sector that is getting bombed when he is in the sector. If he does, I beleive it will be closer to a (bad) tactical decision than a decision based on a bad awareness.

But after saying that, I gotta agree it could add some fun to the game(but no, it won't help newbies). But there's better stuff to work on right now(like the bug that removes techs from the loadout after its lost).

As for station integrity, I'd say it's probably between 25 and 50% hull.
"Désolé pour les skieurs, moi je veux voir mes fleurs!"
-German teacher

http://www.steelfury.org/
badpazzword

Post by badpazzword »

Think of the realism factor! tongue.gif
Have gaming questions? Get expert answers! Image Image