You Suck at Allegiance

Tactical advice, How-to, Post-mortem, etc.
FreeBeer

Post by FreeBeer »

What kind of stick do you have? How many buttons? Some use the hat for thrusters, some use the buttons on the base.
[img]http://www.freeallegiance.org/forums/st ... erator.gif" alt="IPB Image">

chown -R us base
Dorjan

Post by Dorjan »

Surely it's easier for your brain if you have one hand for thrusting and one for aiming/shooting. The hat is a terrible idea for thrusters.

If you have enough, the base could be used but I use one hand on the kb and one hand around the stick.
I decided to relive the days gone by in my new blog.
---
Remember, what I say is IMO always. If I say that something sucks, it actually means "I think it sucks" OK?
Cookie Monster wrote:QUOTE (Cookie Monster @ Jan 31 2012, 03:09 PM) True story.

Except the big about dorjan being jelly, that's just spidey's ego.
ImageImage
Elzam_

Post by Elzam_ »

I sorta split my stick up. The hand I use for steering has the hat (the actual "stick" part of the joystick) Which I use for side-thrusters. But I keep my shoot, boost, target, cloak, and chaff deployment on the other part of the stick.
A hero is not one who never falls, but one who gets up again and again, NEVER losing sight of one's dream!
Icky

Post by Icky »

Elzam V. Branstein wrote:QUOTE (Elzam V. Branstein @ Dec 30 2010, 03:51 PM) I sorta split my stick up. The hand I use for steering has the hat (the actual "stick" part of the joystick) Which I use for side-thrusters. But I keep my shoot, boost, target, cloak, and chaff deployment on the other part of the stick.
Is that for your friend to use so you can share control?

MAGEINTA WARRIORS!

OK, last time I'll bring it up (I think...)
Terran wrote:QUOTE (Terran @ Jan 20 2011, 03:56 PM) i'm like adept
Broodwich wrote:QUOTE (Broodwich @ Jun 6 2010, 10:19 PM) if you spent as much time in game as trollin sf might not be dead
Heyoka

Post by Heyoka »

This topic now sounds like "tips for circle jerks".

...Just sayin'. :P
Spinoza

Post by Spinoza »

Dorjan wrote:QUOTE (Dorjan @ Dec 31 2010, 12:19 AM) Surely it's easier for your brain if you have one hand for thrusting and one for aiming/shooting. The hat is a terrible idea for thrusters.
I'm not particularly adroit, but I think this an incredibly wrong statement. I have absolutely no problem turning whichever way with hand/stick and thrusting in an arbitrary direction with my thumb/hat.
I have done some research on unusual UI schemes and thumbhats for direction control are not so exotic, sometimes in weird locations on objects, like on the back side fo a remote.
Oddly, I have more trouble with console control schemes, when the POV is controlled with the left hand... but mostly because I'm not a console guy. I still do way better than a non-gamer on the rare occasion I use a console.

Besides my personal experience, I disagree with your assessment of how the brain handles this. I'll find a brain expert just to make sure, but I think hand and finger movements are very easy to separate.

Just FYI: I do use my off hand for fwd/back/boost.

EDIT: brain scientist Doctor Cousin says: :cool:
The primary motor cortex has separate areas for finger and hand movements.
The pre-motor cortex (motion planning), associative and coordination areas (cerebelum) are not so clearly defined and have more global representations.
Also, to consciously achieve two tasks, the frontal lobes must be involved. If the tasks are achieved subconsciously, it means long term practice has moved the task into sub-cortical basal ganglia.
(This should happen anyhow in any gamer if I understand correctly)
Last edited by Spinoza on Fri Dec 31, 2010 9:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
Image Image Image
RedLion

Post by RedLion »

Ah, I see. My joystick doesn't have a hat so I can't try that, but having up/down/left/right thrusters mapped there does sound like a good idea to me. The buttons at the base, on the other hand, feel pretty useless as I need to move my hand to reach them.
Adept

Post by Adept »

RedLion wrote:QUOTE (RedLion @ Dec 31 2010, 06:53 PM) Ah, I see. My joystick doesn't have a hat so I can't try that, but having up/down/left/right thrusters mapped there does sound like a good idea to me. The buttons at the base, on the other hand, feel pretty useless as I need to move my hand to reach them.
Interesting comment on the base buttons. There's enough buttons that I have most of my controls on hand when resting the left hand on the buttons there. 6 buttons + throttele. Of course keyboard and mouse are also needed, but not for fighting.

Of course I don't know what stick you use Redlion. How many buttons would you have down there?
ImageImageImageImageImage
<bp|> Maybe when I grow up I can be a troll like PsycH
<bp|> or an obsessive compulsive paladin of law like Adept
Dorjan

Post by Dorjan »

One hand on the stick, one hand on the kb.

Problem solved and a lot more controls 8)
I decided to relive the days gone by in my new blog.
---
Remember, what I say is IMO always. If I say that something sucks, it actually means "I think it sucks" OK?
Cookie Monster wrote:QUOTE (Cookie Monster @ Jan 31 2012, 03:09 PM) True story.

Except the big about dorjan being jelly, that's just spidey's ego.
ImageImage
RedLion

Post by RedLion »

Adept wrote:QUOTE (Adept @ Jan 21 2011, 06:30 PM) Interesting comment on the base buttons. There's enough buttons that I have most of my controls on hand when resting the left hand on the buttons there. 6 buttons + throttele. Of course keyboard and mouse are also needed, but not for fighting.

Of course I don't know what stick you use Redlion. How many buttons would you have down there?
I too have 6 buttons + throttle at the base (I use a Logitech Attack3) enough for the directional thrusters I guess, but not for rolling + boosting + dispenser + chaff all of which I currently have right at my fingertips. Also, I don't think I would find having to move my hand from one side of the stick to the other very comfortable, but then again I have smaller hands than most around here ;)