You Suck at Allegiance

Tactical advice, How-to, Post-mortem, etc.
SpaceJunk

Post by SpaceJunk »

Spinoza wrote:QUOTE (Spinoza @ Dec 26 2010, 09:02 PM) There's always something to learn from other people's procedures.
I always notice in the videos that many people barely uses F3, which is rather wrong in my opinion.
Spinoza

Post by Spinoza »

SpaceJunk wrote:QUOTE (SpaceJunk @ Dec 27 2010, 12:54 AM) I always notice in the videos that many people barely uses F3, which is rather wrong in my opinion.
Image Image Image
Shizoku

Post by Shizoku »

Aside from opening scouting and in base checking I very rarely use f3. It's awkward and uses up too much time switching back and forth, I'd much rather use the ctrl + options and keep my situational awareness. But whatever works for you I suppose.
Clay_Pigeon

Post by Clay_Pigeon »

Spinoza wrote:QUOTE (Spinoza @ Dec 26 2010, 03:02 PM) Even if you had infinite turn rate or 360 degree view, nothing let's you find out which miner is under attack faster than flipping between them with a single key or key combo.
Other example include xnanning... I flip between all friendly ship but always flip to the bomber every other heart beat.

I suppose if you have target friendly and enemy you can flip through all of them, but that takes time and attention... both of which tend to be in short supply.

Nevertheless, if you ever post a video of you in action, I'd like to see how you work. There's always something to learn from other people's procedures.
I really don't have any problem tracking who is under attack or when. If setting up multiple targeting options works for you, then awesomesauce. Personally, all of that key juggling gives me hand cramps :)
"Therefore I will boast all the more gladly about my weaknesses, so that Christ's power may rest on me." -2 Cor 12:9
"Never know how long I've waited, anticipated your smile pressed against mine." -Running
juckto

Post by juckto »

Thank you for defending my case Spinoza, I've been on holiday.

To clarify, I do use target centre, in addition to everything else talked about in that lesson. In fact it and "Target nearest enemy" are the only targeting controls near my dogfighting keys.

To answer original question, it's keyboard + mouse. It's not ideal, and just about everytime I come back to Alleg from a break I make another change.
Usually though, "skill" is used to covertly mean "match the game exactly to my level of competence." Anyone who is at all worse than me should fail utterly (and humorously!) and anyone better is clearly too caught up in the game and their opinions shouldn't count.
Dorjan

Post by Dorjan »

The targeting keys I use most are target center, target miner and target base.

Base is only used when bombing and often helps orientate yourself after the spin-o-death knocks you for six. Target miner for defence mostly as it's easier on offence to see them.

Target center for everything else (the hud gives you the rest of the info easily)

But I'm a noob who still uses the default thrusters so dont listen to me :P
I decided to relive the days gone by in my new blog.
---
Remember, what I say is IMO always. If I say that something sucks, it actually means "I think it sucks" OK?
Cookie Monster wrote:QUOTE (Cookie Monster @ Jan 31 2012, 03:09 PM) True story.

Except the big about dorjan being jelly, that's just spidey's ego.
ImageImage
HSharp

Post by HSharp »

Clay_Pigeon wrote:QUOTE (Clay_Pigeon @ Dec 26 2010, 07:47 PM) Mapping "target center" to a convenient button (like mouse 3) removes the need for a lot of those targeting options. The only ones I use frequently are Target Enemy and Target Friendly.
Target Centre, Nearest Enemy and Cycle Target for me. With Cycle Target I just need to select one miner or aleph to scroll through all of them. Why would I ever need to target friendly? If i'm nanning I can see when I need to nan without having to target the ship.
Spinoza

Post by Spinoza »

Important detail:
Mouse or Stick?!

I think this is the biggest factor determining how you use Alleg's UI.
Stick users are more likely to have multiple target selects, especially if their stick work fine and they don't need their off-hand for thrusters.

Mouse users, especially very deft ones, can target icons they see in the gutter and probably follow the gutter more closely too.
Dorjan wrote:QUOTE (Dorjan @ Dec 29 2010, 04:40 PM) The targeting keys I use most are target center, target miner and target base.
You neglected to mention what I already know... you mean you have two of each, friendly and enemy, or rather one button + two modifiers (alt/ctrl/shift).

EDIT:
I haven't been using generic cycle target but I plan to start...
It will go well with my script which allows me to target nearest treasure, but can't distinguish junk from powerups.
Last edited by Spinoza on Wed Dec 29, 2010 4:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Image Image Image
fwiffo

Post by fwiffo »

hrm.. i use f3 quite a bit, if you find switching btween cockpit view and command view a bit slow, you can alleviate that by rotating your ship so you are aligned with the plane of the sector such that going from one view to the other has the shortest animation period (or so it seems to me anyway).

actually come to think of it, i tend to spam f3, f5 and f6 quite a bit during the whole game even when im not commanding
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
A Spathi's Axiom for Survival: "The only brave Spathi is a dead Spathi. RUN YOU FOOLS!"
RedLion

Post by RedLion »

Spinoza wrote:QUOTE (Spinoza @ Dec 29 2010, 05:01 PM) Stick users are more likely to have multiple target selects, especially if their stick work fine and they don't need their off-hand for thrusters.
Ooh, this is interesting. How do you make your joystick control thrusters? All mine does is pitch and turn.