Atmosheric flight simulation - Found possible!

Discussion / Announcement area for Dark Nebulae Core development.
BlackViper

Post by BlackViper »

I am BV and approve of the preceding post.
Always in the Shadows...
Psychosis

Post by Psychosis »

BlackViper wrote:
QUOTE (BlackViper @ Mar 14 2008, 06:46 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I am BV and approve of the preceding post.

yes, but wouldnt it be the post above that in which the real "magic" was worked

I will not lurk the forums after getting off work, I will not lurk the forums after getting off work, I will not lurk the forums after getting off work........
Last edited by Psychosis on Sat Mar 15, 2008 6:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
Parasitism

Post by Parasitism »

Is it jsut me or does he seem a bit like, Dorjan. But anyways Sup, when you have an idea look at it from the Alleg staff's point of view is it feasible, does it have any flaws, and most of all does it actually sound like a good idea. Then proceed to consult with someone else (Someone who's been here a lot longer than me, or someone who's got the know how on everything, like BV) about the idea before posting it.
ImageImage
Anime-Planet.com - anime | manga | reviews
lawrencejob

Post by lawrencejob »

Wow... I know I'm new, but you really don't like him do you?

To be fair, you are right in this instance, but surely you can use less of the long words.. laugh.gif
Cadillac

Post by Cadillac »

Why would you want atmospheric simulation in a space game anyway?

Even if you turn in a different direction you'd still have the momentum carrying you forward from where you last thrusted.
Image Image Image
"If you wish to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first invent the universe." Carl Sagan ("The Lives of the Stars" ep. 9 Cosmos)
Rants Blog Cadillac, *Wurflet@Event, ?GoldDragon@Alleg, ^Biggus*#$@us@XT, +Ashandarei@Zone
apochboi

Post by apochboi »

If you really want atmospheric flight simulation, fly a belters interceptor.
DrBeginner

Post by DrBeginner »

Add gravity too.
I loose my motivation to help out more and more each day to drama like this. Which is why I am mostly /meh on this point. I will continue to play as I always have, with the morals I have been rasied with and if this community finds they don't like myself and others like me who just enjoy playing the game with their friends on TS or squadies, then they can ban us and my Warhammer account, Girlfriend, and IRL activities will get a lot more attention and will thank them.
-TheVoid

I am DrB and I approve of this messege.

Arcalane

Post by Arcalane »

Surely it'd be more effective to simply increase the amount of drag applied, rather than massively increasing the thrust?

That way you wouldn't get the insta-stop situations as much, in theory. As it is ships stop pretty quickly if you face the direction you're actually going in and throttle to 0%.
Psychosis

Post by Psychosis »

Arcalane wrote:
QUOTE (Arcalane @ Mar 28 2008, 06:28 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Surely it'd be more effective to simply increase the amount of drag applied, rather than massively increasing the thrust?

That way you wouldn't get the insta-stop situations as much, in theory. As it is ships stop pretty quickly if you face the direction you're actually going in and throttle to 0%.

there is no drag its space, what affects you is your Vector Control System.

look it up, i dont feel like explaining it again.
Clay_Pigeon

Post by Clay_Pigeon »

Allegiance space does have drag, and it is more than just your thrusters working automatically. For instance, notice that when your bomber is rammed while you have the forward thrust key held down, you still lose speed eventually. The forward thrust key prevents your back thrusters from firing on their own, so you lose speed less quickly, but you still lose speed. That's due to drag.

Hold down your forward thrust (or boost) and make a 90 degree turn. Your side thrusters won't automatically engage to help you make the turn, but eventually your g-indicator will settle in the middle of your screen. That's because drag eventually canceled your old vector

Objects ejected from cargo (not dropped from your 0 slot) will act the same way. They will want to come to a stop.
Last edited by Clay_Pigeon on Sun Apr 06, 2008 5:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: damn typos
"Therefore I will boast all the more gladly about my weaknesses, so that Christ's power may rest on me." -2 Cor 12:9
"Never know how long I've waited, anticipated your smile pressed against mine." -Running