Atmospheric flight simulation

Discussion / Announcement area for Dark Nebulae Core development.
Supramence

Post by Supramence »

I've an idea - why not we introduce a function (that can only be acquired in the long run) for the Phoenix Order (and possibly other factions) that allows pilots to completely mimic the normal atmospheric flight controls, just as if we were to fly an F-22 Raptor in the earth's atmosphere. I mean: a function that always keeps the motion indicator from moving away from the center of the screen. That way, controls and movement becomes much more predictable and so we won't have to worry about the complications of engine compensation.

From this, we can dodge bullets and make smooth flight patterns, and move forward directly from our engines' pushing... just like how X-Wings and TIE Fighters do in Star Wars.

Disclaimer: This has been copied from one of my other threads.

P.S.
If this idea is to be put into action, make sure the 'Course Lock' function still works!
Last edited by Supramence on Wed Mar 05, 2008 1:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"I can duel and dogfight. I'd like to have a role as a dogfighter, but I can't command well though." -_-
Adaven

Post by Adaven »

I'm sorry, I'm not sure what you are asking here, you talk about the motion indicator and then movement relying on rear engines only, but it doesn't mesh together.

-The motion indicator tells what direction your ship is currently moving. To have it always stay "centered" means that every turn the ship made would be instantaneous. Even F22's can't change direction that fast. There is always some sort of residual momentum that must be overcome. If real planes had an Alleg style motion indicator, it wouldn't be centered when turning either. What you are asking for is to basically ignore a ship's mass. However if you really are set on this, it can be modelled in ICE but giving all ships incredibly high acceleration/low mass and 100% side/rear thrusters. However such controls are going to feel a lot more like playing quake than flying a plane/spaceship.

-Removing sidethrust from ships has already been tested by weedman, and is found to be really buggy. The problem is that Alleg always tries to use sidethrust to tighten up turns. If Side thrust is set to ~0, then you can't really change course because Alleg will dump all your total engine power into trying to get a tiny little bit of push from your side thrusters.

-Course lock would function fine if you used the super acceleration kludge I mentioned first, but would completely break down if you ever tried to remove sidethrust like you ask for later. It's just how the game's physics engine works.
Supramence

Post by Supramence »

No, I mean a function that prevents ships from 'skidding' so much in their movement.

THAT's what i'd like to see! mrgreen.gif
"I can duel and dogfight. I'd like to have a role as a dogfighter, but I can't command well though." -_-
Icky

Post by Icky »

If you made it work like atmospheric flight, all ships would have to turn a lot slower as well...even fighter planes or aerobatic craft cant turn as quickly as alleg ships can. I think it would be like the rixian pitch nerf, but even slower, and on all axes. Also no flying sideways or backwards or up/down thrust. All dogfighting in alleg relies on the "skidding" as you call it to work. If you don't use inertia, and you always move forward, then good luck hitting anything while you are moving.
Terran wrote:QUOTE (Terran @ Jan 20 2011, 03:56 PM) i'm like adept
Broodwich wrote:QUOTE (Broodwich @ Jun 6 2010, 10:19 PM) if you spent as much time in game as trollin sf might not be dead
Supramence

Post by Supramence »

Icky wrote:
QUOTE (Icky @ Mar 5 2008, 03:22 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
If you don't use inertia, and you always move forward, then good luck hitting anything while you are moving.

I don't understand what this means. =/
CronoDroid

Post by CronoDroid »

Well, it'd be a bit like dogfighting in BSG.
Supramence

Post by Supramence »

BSG... I searched the wikipedia and it came up with Battlestar Galactica... is this correct?

P.S.
Show me a video from YouTube that depicts a dogfight in BSG! I need to know what it looks like NOW!
blackeagle0001

Post by blackeagle0001 »

If I can find my chatlogs, ill try and post a reccomendation I gave to you yesterday.

EDIT: Cant be bothered.

Either way, it went something like "Dont tell me what to do until you know what your talking about"

In other words, learn Allegiance a little better before you start making suggestions.
Last edited by blackeagle0001 on Thu Mar 06, 2008 10:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
Icky

Post by Icky »

Agreed, Black Eagle.
Broodwich wrote:QUOTE (Broodwich @ Jun 6 2010, 10:19 PM) if you spent as much time in game as trollin sf might not be dead
Icky

Post by Icky »

Last edited by Icky on Thu Mar 06, 2008 11:10 am, edited 1 time in total.