why is there sound / drag in space?

madpeople

Post by madpeople »

would the explanations about your computer simulating the sound of ships boosting and stuff be content appropriate for the wiki, given that new people ask about the non-factually accurate parts of allegiance.
TheBored

Post by TheBored »

Meh, I wouldn't have a problem with it assuming it's well written and in the correct location.

TB
spideycw wrote:QUOTE (spideycw @ Nov 28 2008, 02:50 PM) All the retards are contained in one squad mostly (System X)
[18:48] <Imago> dont take me seriously
Cadillac

Post by Cadillac »

Also technically if you're inside the ship you would hear it boosting.

But not shooting.
Image Image Image
"If you wish to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first invent the universe." Carl Sagan ("The Lives of the Stars" ep. 9 Cosmos)
Rants Blog Cadillac, *Wurflet@Event, ?GoldDragon@Alleg, ^Biggus*#$@us@XT, +Ashandarei@Zone
Andon

Post by Andon »

You would hear your own ship firing weapons, boosting, etc. You wouldn't hear shields and you wouldn't hear other ships.
ImageImage
Tumbleweed

Post by Tumbleweed »

Justification is easy for simulating though - having the computer in your fighter simulate the noises of gunfire, boosting, etc - externally would be almost necessary to allow the pilot to have maximum situational awareness, all the hvy boosting/ripcording in the world wont save you from that int if you dont hear the mini's until they're hitting your hull

Side Note: would it be possible to create a core, say, 'RealistiCore" where you only hear in-ship sounds, and the drag is reduced/eliminated. though you would need to set an arbitrary max speed methinks
ImageImage
CronoDroid

Post by CronoDroid »

Cuz it's a game. If I wanted to play a sim, I'd play LO:MAC or Silent Hunter 4. Instead I want to play Quake in Space.
theTroy

Post by theTroy »

I would really like to support the idea about Realistic Core, since I came from a space sims game which were based on a proper newtonian physics, without a drag and speed limit.

I have heard that the current engine does not support speeds > 1-2 km/s, but it shouldnt be a big problem to double the memory for the coordinates, and still snapgrid the traffic for the clients. (no loss traffic-wise, a bit higher memory usage).

There are games which are balanced for those kind of dogfights, and no, you will NEVER reach the speed of light (the main reason for having a drag as explained in academy), since the sectors are space-limited, so the max speed reachable is just what you can get from one side of sector to another.
Thank you parci :)
Cadillac

Post by Cadillac »

So you'd keep accelerating till ... whenever you hit the edge?

It might be cool but this would imbalance everything though :\
Last edited by Cadillac on Sun Mar 23, 2008 10:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
Image Image Image
"If you wish to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first invent the universe." Carl Sagan ("The Lives of the Stars" ep. 9 Cosmos)
Rants Blog Cadillac, *Wurflet@Event, ?GoldDragon@Alleg, ^Biggus*#$@us@XT, +Ashandarei@Zone
Weylin

Post by Weylin »

there is a max speed in real physics, i believe its when your forward speed reaches that of the engine thrust. orr... maybe not... maybe it DOEs keep accelerating... but then why couldnt a super effecient long term deal reach near light speeds then.
Cadillac

Post by Cadillac »

Affected by gravity?
Image Image Image