BSG core with Squad Game Balance

Discussion / Announcement area for Battlestar Galactica Core development.
Andon

Post by Andon »

One of my intentions for BSG core is to make it so that it is playable in a squad game setting. Yes, it is different than standard Allegiance, by a lot, but if it is capable of being played in a Squad Game setting, then it's a lot more balanced than being playable in a PUG.

Some of the things I've done to make things more SG-ish, or that would work much better in SG play:
-Made Cylon fig/scout SRs cost money much like the Rix SR scouts. They also have slight buffs, and cost $600-ish (Can't remember exactly)
-Made Colonial Raptor near-useless in a dogfight, but a great addition to a group of Vipers, with high scan range and lead indicator relay
-Made Colonial Vipers have near-useless scan ranges
-Bombers have a decent amount of hull, but they still need a lot of protection from enemies, because there are no nans
-Colonial pods are rip receivers for Raptors, making pod pickups easier, although it can be risky (Camp the pod, anyone?)
-Weapons eat a lot more ammo, making pilots require better conservation of their ammo
-Fuel tanks don't exist, making fuel conservation very important (They do exist as floating tech, though)
-Guns do more damage, making evasion just as, if not more important as hitting the enemy

There's a few other things, but I can't think of them at the moment, as I don't have the core in front of me.

One of the things I am considering is another re-do of the tech tree to make each station less Dependant on the others
Last edited by Andon on Fri Mar 07, 2008 11:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ImageImage
Grimmwolf_GB

Post by Grimmwolf_GB »

One of the first things would be stability. I have not yet played on the core, because everytime we wanted to host it, it crashed the server. If you can assure us, that it works (try it in a LAN), we will host it again. At the moment, no server host will host your core, because of those problems. We cannot baby sit our server for your core. :(
(I have yet to play it. I was really looking forward to it...)
Andon

Post by Andon »

Stability will not be an issue with 0.32F. I'm just waiting for Loriana to finish her Res Ship model before I release it. The issue was that a lot of the bases were gone, and by keeping those bases in the core, but not accessible by any faction, made it so that it doesn't crash. I've tested it on every one of the 'standard' player-made maps, and I'm going to do so again before release. I'm just wondering about gameplay-wise
ImageImage
apochboi

Post by apochboi »

BSG will never ever get used for Squad games, in the same way, Starwars, warpcore and rps dont. They are too different.
madpeople

Post by madpeople »

apochboi wrote:
QUOTE (apochboi @ Mar 4 2008, 06:17 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
BSG will never ever get used for Squad games, in the same way, Starwars, warpcore and rps dont. They are too different.

EOR is less different to normal than RPS?
apochboi

Post by apochboi »

Oops forgot that core. EoR too
Andon

Post by Andon »

Just because they'll never be used in a SG doesn't mean that I can't try to get the better kind of balance that's in the 'SG-Worthy' cores
ImageImage
blackeagle0001

Post by blackeagle0001 »

Your calling DN balanced now?
Andon

Post by Andon »

No. It's just the most used.
ImageImage
Raveen

Post by Raveen »

apochboi wrote:
QUOTE (apochboi @ Mar 4 2008, 06:17 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

madpeople wrote:
QUOTE (madpeople @ Mar 4 2008, 06:33 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
EOR is less different to normal than RPS?

apochboi wrote:
QUOTE (apochboi @ Mar 4 2008, 07:05 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Oops forgot that core. EoR too

There have been SGs on EoR and RPS in the past.

Apoch is right though, BSG is never likely to be a serious SG core. You need lots of games to make it balanced enough for SGs and as a novelty core you're not likely to get them I'm sad to say. Unless you recruit a load of BSG fans to play the core for you wink.gif
ImageImage
Spidey: Can't think of a reason I'd need to know anything