XRM

Discussion / Announcement area for Dark Nebulae Core development.
apochboi

Post by apochboi »

Bring back the randomly exploding TP1/2 Probes!!!!

`rk
takingarms1

Post by takingarms1 »

apochboi wrote:
QUOTE (apochboi @ Jan 15 2008, 03:04 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Bring back the randomly exploding TP1/2 Probes!!!!

And the general response to that of course is we should work to make a game based on skill, not luck. The more times you have to resort to the random number generator, the less skill is involved. Also, it really sucks ass to work as hard as you have to work to pull off a good TP2 drop and then have it completely fizzle just because you were unlucky and your TP2 probe exploded.

I don't have a problem with XRM in general only because EXP is so dominant, and SUP needs good adv tech like XRM to compensate. Also it takes quite a lot of people (maybe 10) to be successful with an XRM attack, and you end up with a lot of pods afterward, while the EXP or TAC team only needs 3-4 people to cap/kill your sup. In that respect, it is the logical extension of Galv applied to tech bases.
"You give my regards to St. Peter. Or, whoever has his job, but in hell!"
- - - -
Adaven

Post by Adaven »

takingarms1 wrote:
QUOTE (takingarms1 @ Jan 15 2008, 12:18 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
And the general response to that of course is we should work to make a game based on skill, not luck. The more times you have to resort to the random number generator, the less skill is involved. Also, it really sucks ass to work as hard as you have to work to pull off a good TP2 drop and then have it completely fizzle just because you were unlucky and your TP2 probe exploded.

I think the solution to that particular problem is to give TP probes a finite amount of energy like for ass ships or sr scouts so that only a certain fixed number of bombers can rip in to a single tp2
CronoDroid

Post by CronoDroid »

Drizzo wrote:
QUOTE (Drizzo @ Dec 7 2007, 11:03 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Then people will start loading them in their interceptors and ramming things.

You have to get them first, and then ints. Not a big problem to increase their mass.

On another note, let me clarify that XRM/TP2'ing is way, way, WAY more effective at defeating the enemy than HTT is, or will ever be. To have a successful HTT run you need just as many people as a TP2 XRM drop anyway (including the nans, the multiple runs, the con pushes and ints, whatever). Plus, with XRM all you have to do is sit at 3K and hit the shoot button. HTT'ing is exponentially harder than bombing.

You pay so much for XRMs because they're easy to use. Not as effective as SBs, but way better than HTTs in a fairly large or even medium sized game.

Personally, I like Adaven's ideas. Tie XRM to Starbase! I mean, Sup teams keep TP2 and Hvy Bombers if they lose their Starbase, don't they? This means the Sup team has more bases to worry about. Also the AB3 idea isn't too bad either. However, nerfing TP2 will make games without SY on much harder for Sup when it's XRM that are the problem.
jgbaxter

Post by jgbaxter »

Adaven wrote:
QUOTE (Adaven @ Jan 15 2008, 09:59 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I think the solution to that particular problem is to give TP probes a finite amount of energy like for ass ships or sr scouts so that only a certain fixed number of bombers can rip in to a single tp2

That's a good idea, it partly takes scale into account, makes tp drops a bit less succesful, and makes them more expensive since scouts will have to carry multiples.

Question then becomes, if tp probes had a finite amount of energy how many ships could you get in for a single tp1 or tp2?

Also, you'd have to take into account what is coming in, and should it treat bbrs differently in energy costs then other units, and how...
n.b. I may not see a forum post replied to me or a pm sent to me for weeks and weeks...
spideycw

Post by spideycw »

Kumquat wrote:
QUOTE (Kumquat @ Jan 12 2008, 05:10 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Ya'll are failing to see how much you have to spend to get them.

My god this is even stupider then when you asked what the passwords to the Rants Forum was. You do realize all you need to buy for an XRM drop that you wouldnt buy when regular tp 2'ing is *gasp* XRM - because you need all that other crap to regular tp2 anyway. You call that expensive?!
I'm sorry I don't remember any of it. For you the day spideycw graced your squad with utter destruction was the most important day of your life. But for me, it was Sunday
Idanmel wrote:QUOTE (Idanmel @ Mar 19 2012, 05:54 AM) I am ashamed for all the drama I caused, I have much to learn on how to behave when things don't go my way.

My apologies.
mcwarren4

Post by mcwarren4 »

HTT runs require a certain amount of skill to execute. Stealth bombing requires a certain amount of skill to execute. TP 2 drops without XRM require about the same degree of skill. TP 2 drops with XRM are completely skillless. The dropper doesn't even have to be any good.

There isn't anything wrong with the teleprobes. Nerfing the tp1 or tp2 would hurt Sup badly. You have to have mass numbers for sup to be effective, so limiting the number of people that can rip in virtually eliminates tp2 as a viable strategy.

Just taking away XRM won't solve this because then sup teams have little chance at beating expansion teams that are armed with pulse probes. Scouts won't be able to get in close enough to do SRM drops. Take pulse probes away from Expansion and get rid of XRM altogether. Problem solved. Tp scouts are harder to find while setting up, but they can't drop 3k out and have a reasonable chance at success either. Bring skill back to TP 2'ing.
Image What Allegiance needs is a little more cowbell. Image
Sushi

Post by Sushi »

Adaven wrote:
QUOTE (Adaven @ Jan 15 2008, 12:59 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

That's the best idea I've heard so far.
takingarms1

Post by takingarms1 »

mcwarren4 wrote:
QUOTE (mcwarren4 @ Jan 16 2008, 03:02 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Take pulse probes away from Expansion and get rid of XRM altogether. Problem solved.

That's a fairly fantastic idea. You get rid of XRM cheese that doesn't really belong, and you provide a nerf to EXP that will actually add depth to game dynamics. Ints won't be able to kill everthing anymore, instead they'll have to rely on bases, cons, and scouts to spot things!

Conversely, adding PPs to figs increases their capability as the multi-role ship, and it will help them against INTs since they'll be able to spot them at distances and either rip away or engage them before they sneak up. Good idea McW!!
Last edited by takingarms1 on Wed Jan 16, 2008 9:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"You give my regards to St. Peter. Or, whoever has his job, but in hell!"
- - - -
One-Man-Bucket

Post by One-Man-Bucket »

If you manage to take the map and mine it clean, box the enemy into one sector then you deserve to win with xrm2/tp2 drop. It costs a lotta money.

When your team has failed to defend the map control, or your commander turtles in one or two sectors you are not supposed to have an easy time winning. I know you like to waste everyones time by dragging out games for hours and hours, but I disagree!

That said, you could make XRM more expensive to get. Triple the cost or something, it won't matter much, but it will make it even more of an end-game tech to get rid of that final tech base. Maybe put it in shipyard?