ICE Missile bug

Core Editor
KGJV

Post by KGJV »

Andon wrote:
QUOTE (Andon @ Aug 27 2007, 03:58 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Which version of it? I know where it starts, so I could send you the one just before it and just after it. Or I could send you the current one. Hell, I could probably send you all of them.

whatever, one that crashes.

Just need to see where it crashes in the code (i'll use a debug build of alleg with your core(s)).
ImmortalZ

Post by ImmortalZ »

Its that bug where ICE shows one value for the missile while the core itself has something else. Need to be fixed by hex edit.
KGJV

Post by KGJV »

After examiming your cores, the problem with DM mode isnt related to missiles.

The client crashes simply because it cannot find any ship at all to use (pstation->CanBuy(..) always return false for all ships in DM mode).

This is a pre/def problem with your faction in DM mode.

for instance for the Colonials: In DM mode, the 'Def' values of the faction are used. (in conquest it's the "Pre" values).

Your Colonials DM Adv Scout (463) depends on 2 (DM), 18 (Colonials) and 185 (Devel: Adv scout).

In DM mode, the Colonials factions defines: 2 and 185 but not 18 so this ship isnt available. Same for all other ships so the client crashes because it cant find any starting ship for the player.

I think that at some point you removed 18 from Colonials 'Def' values no ? Put it in back should correct the problem.

Dunno for Cylons, didnt look but if they crash too it could be the same problem.
Andon

Post by Andon »

The cylons do work in DM. And the colonials do set '18' (As pre is def and dev is no devel), unless it's supposed to be in the actual 'def' of the faction stats.
ImageImage
KGJV

Post by KGJV »

Andon wrote:
QUOTE (Andon @ Aug 27 2007, 09:22 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
The cylons do work in DM. And the colonials do set '18' (As pre is def and dev is no devel), unless it's supposed to be in the actual 'def' of the faction stats.

In both cores you sent me, the Colonials have not 18 in 'Def' hence the crash in DM mode.

Like I said factions pre/def work like this:

Faction "Pre" values = values defined by this faction when devel is on. (that's like a "Def")
Faction "Def' values = values defined by this faction when devel is off. (that's like a "Def" too but only for no devel games).

It might not be very clear in ICE as it uses the words 'pre' and 'def' but their is a warning explaining this.

devel is controlled by the game parameter 'Development' (game settings screen) and is off for pure DM games.

ICE indicates that the value 2 is defined by "GP:Deatch Match". This is not actually true as there is no value defined when game type is DM. It's just that the original cores (static_core/zone_core) had all 2 in all factions "def" sets (no devel def) so back in time we thought that 2 was related to DM but it's not.
Same for value 7 (ICE indicates GP: CTF or money). I should update ICE to remove these indications.
Actually the devs used '2' as a value defined only when 'devel' is off by putting it in all factions def sets, it could have been any available number. This allowed them to have specific ships for non devel games.

The only reserved values are 3,4,5 and 6 which are set by game parameters (allow sy, allow exp, allow tac and allow sup in that order).

Every other values are free to use as you want. Just keep consistency of the meaning you give to a value.
Last edited by KGJV on Mon Aug 27, 2007 11:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
KGJV

Post by KGJV »

This make me think that it would be cool to add a 'no devel' filter in ICE so that ppl can see what is available when devel is off in the game.
Andon

Post by Andon »

A 'no devel' filter would be nice.

I always thought the 'no devel' thing meant that faction did not have that research, so I never looked into it.

And, technically, I could reduce the amount of 'no devel' stuff to two numbers per faction and having the 'no devel' stuff only require one of them? I'd think it would be simpler to have one number for common tech and one number for faction specific tech. In this case, Colonials would set 18 and 19, with 18 being faction specific and 19 being general tech, and have the cylons have 19 and 20?

Oh, and did you get my suggestion for a 'reverse filter' that would, instead of showing only stuff with that pre, only show stuff without that pre? It could be pretty handy at times

EDIT: Just thought of another one - An 'Or' function in the filter. So it could be 'Show stuff with 18 OR 19' instead of 'Show stuff with 18 AND 19'
Last edited by Andon on Tue Aug 28, 2007 3:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
ImageImage
madpeople

Post by madpeople »

i thought it would be nice to be able to add comments or names to pre/def numbers

these could be stored in a separate text file (so as not to change the core format yet) with the same name as the core, the text file might look a bit like

Code: Select all

2:is DM,
3:allow SY,
4:allow exp,
5:allow tac,
6:allow sup,
7:is Giga,
8:is Bios,
9:is Rix,
10:Can use Missiles

it would be handy so you can tell just what someone has used a certain number for in someone else's core, much like comments in code. smile.gif
KGJV

Post by KGJV »

madpeople wrote:
QUOTE (madpeople @ Aug 31 2007, 12:17 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
i thought it would be nice to be able to add comments or names to pre/def numbers

these could be stored in a separate text file (so as not to change the core format yet) with the same name as the core, the text file might look a bit like

Code: Select all

2:is DM,
3:allow SY,
4:allow exp,
5:allow tac,
6:allow sup,
7:is Giga,
8:is Bios,
9:is Rix,
10:Can use Missiles

it would be handy so you can tell just what someone has used a certain number for in someone else's core, much like comments in code. smile.gif

These exist already in DB format of the core. They'll be added back again to the core directly one day may be (it's not a format change, just extra infos).

It's just that everyone is too busy for this atm mrgreen.gif