BIOS - HiRes Textures

A place to discuss user-created Allegiance 3D models, textures, images, and other visual ingame content.
emene86

Post by emene86 »

Ok, this was long time coming, but in truth I was only recently inspired by the amazing work the dev team has done with 32 bit R4.

Bios Docking Bays- File Removed, in the works.
Bios Starbase - (don't get booted while watching the base smile.gif)
Bios Fighter- (In truth I started this to have a hi res model rotating for R4, until I noticed it was a scout)

I know it's not much, but now that it's started, it will get easier.

All files are 16 bit (tested and works for R4 and R3), if you want higher bit depth, PM me.

PROBLEMS
-None of the textures show up for MDLView, so I could not get decent screenshot comparisons for you guys (I don't know if its my comp, but they work fine in game)

-The fig texture does not show up or shows up garbled when in the loadout screen:

The problem is fixed as soon as I go below 2024 x 2024 in the game settings.
Is this only me? Load up the texture and please comment.

OBSERVATIONS
From what I could see in game and testing there is no great "wow" effect when comparing the fighter textures, most of the time they are too distant to be seen in detail.
For me the amount it slows the computer is not worth the level of detail rarely seen. I think the Hi res should be predominantly be used for bases and large ships like capships/bombers/miners/cons where close visual contact is noticeable.
Not that I intend not to make the rest, but I think their application is doubtful.

Looking forward to input.
Last edited by emene86 on Sat Jul 14, 2007 1:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
madpeople

Post by madpeople »

note, at this point i haven't looked at the textures you've posted
Endri wrote:
QUOTE (Endri @ Jul 6 2007, 02:46 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
All files are 24 bit (works for R4 and R3), if you want lower bit depth, PM me.

you made those bmp.mdl s with the 24 bit mdlc and not the normal 16 bit one?

PROBLEMS
-None of the textures show up for MDLView, so I could not get decent screenshot comparisons for you guys (I don't know if its my comp, but they work fine in game)

-The fig texture does not show up or shows up garbled when in the loadout screen:

[/quote]
hmm, i think mdl view supports highres textures, though they may need to be in the same directory as the model.
messed up textures on the loadout screen is new to me
The problem is fixed as soon as I go below 2024 x 2024 in the game settings.[/quote]
you mean 2048*2048? (the textures need to be powers of 2, though the game wouldn't load if you had them wrong i don't think, unless the normal ones let it load and the new ones were used :/ - doubtful. just thought i would mention this in relation to the textures while you were talking about game settings to provoke thought...)

p.s. please don't use .jpg for any thing other than photos of real life stuff.
use .png for screenshots (or .bmp and convert it to .png) (and definitely don't use .jpg for textures before converting)
emene86

Post by emene86 »

-ok , on a second thought, I re-uploaded everything with 16-bit(same link as post 1), which works with mdlView and the in game loadout
- some1 might want to find out if 32bit works or if it was just my problem (because I think I did it properly, saved it as 24 bit bmp, then used the 24 bit mdlc)
- now with Screenshots!:

Fighter

Starbase
(image may be formatted to fit the screen: right click , view image to see actual size)

and yes i did mean 2048, that was a momentary lapse smile.gif
Last edited by emene86 on Fri Jul 06, 2007 1:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
madpeople

Post by madpeople »

oh god that base looks nice! mrgreen.gif

i think i like the old landing bay a little more though.

if you want, you could do the 32 bit version for R4 with a normal .png and embed that in a text .mdl

see
http://www.freeallegiance.org/forums/index...st&p=118700
and mdlthing from here http://myallegiance.googlepages.com/
Barrager

Post by Barrager »

I wish we could get all this stuff automatically uploaded, becuase I read all this stuff at work, drool over it then forget about it until I go to work the next day. it would save me the whole inconvenience of forgetting
Ramaglor

Post by Ramaglor »

It works on my new bios fig model!

Spidey's tactical advice on TS during Tourny game
QUOTE We don't need to save our thingy.[/quote]
emene86

Post by emene86 »

Hear Ye Hear Ye! REFURBISHED BIOS OUTPOST HERE

Man, Can't wait for R4, the same texture map in png format is 1/5 the size of the bmp.mdl. Better graphics at no memory cost!
Your_Persona

Post by Your_Persona »

Wow, Awesome work Endri!

Those bases are amazing!
-->>Elitism<<--
I'm not Hamlet. I don't take part any more. My words have nothing to tell me anymore.
emene86

Post by emene86 »

Teleport Hi Res Texture HERE

For some reason and only for ss106(which is the teleport model) mdlview would display the texture of whatever was previously viewed on the teleport model. So, it was weird, but I couldn't fix it. I got some in game shots instead:

Btw, the in game shots apply the sector lighting on the modles so the colors are not entirely accurate.

If someone can use their mdlview, and has the extra 5 minutes, please post the comparison image, thanks.
Friday the 13th I guess, first weird thing that's happened.
terrenblade

Post by terrenblade »

Keep up the good work on everyone's favorite faction

(yes it is, now hush or you'll be sorry)
Mad? Oh yes, quite mad.

Vader shot the nans first.