Jaybird's Cute Little Prox Metering Mod

Catch-all for all development not having a specific forum.
jaybird39

Post by jaybird39 »

fishbone wrote:
QUOTE (fishbone @ Jun 14 2007, 05:44 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Jay:
You are experiencing the pain of trying to help people.

Yeah I know. Not a problem.

Seems that folks that really know me are the one's being supportive. That said, I am a happy camper smile.gif

The Master Pod Pilot!
lightninglp

Post by lightninglp »

Shizoku wrote:
QUOTE (Shizoku @ Jun 15 2007, 02:55 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Well I disagree strongly with their green light. This takes out a large skill component of the game and imo is cheating. It's a small mod, but where do you honestly draw the line? Next thing you know it will be an aimbot, "but it only helps those who can't aim? So being weedman is also cheating?" You can use the same dumbass arguements to counter the nay sayers in that scenario as well, because it's the same thing - an exploit.

Now I will go complain to my senator, oh wait I have no voice anymore. Yay.

At 1st i thought it was cheating.. but if some1 does not know at what distance to drop the prox this is useless for them. As some1 said before me .. it doesn’t say DROP DROP DROP.

I thought about this being cheating while the mod was still in dev mode in the SF boards, thus telling jay to get it approved.

P.S: If this was made by XT, would you consider it cheating still?
Wondering Through the high voltage wires...
Some Newb: This Game ROCKS, and its FREE!
madpeople

Post by madpeople »

lets keep squad politics out of the dev forums please

smile.gif
Striker

Post by Striker »

Evening/Morning:

I thought I'd weigh in on this before heading to bed. smile.gif Adaven said it the best. It's a "tool". All it does is multiple a set of numbers by 5. It doesn't give you a green light to tell you to push the button nor does it "lock on" and drop it for you. I've seen mods out there that truly "walk the line", but this one doesn't even come close.

Jaybird could have released it without consulting anyone. He could have said "to hell with it" and dropped it (no pun intended) on all of us. Instead, he checked with the Enforcement and Development people to make sure everything was okay. Jaybird is a responsible person. If the Allegiance Staff didn't approve, it would have been axed and not released to the public. If you really think it's a problem, then contact the leaders of the Enforcement and Development Zones. There is no reason to yell at the creator who followed the rules.
--------------------------------------------
Governing Latin America by the beach with sandals, socks, shorts, multi-colored balloons, and an iron fist since 2006.
spideycw

Post by spideycw »

not cheating
I'm sorry I don't remember any of it. For you the day spideycw graced your squad with utter destruction was the most important day of your life. But for me, it was Sunday
Idanmel wrote:QUOTE (Idanmel @ Mar 19 2012, 05:54 AM) I am ashamed for all the drama I caused, I have much to learn on how to behave when things don't go my way.

My apologies.
factoid

Post by factoid »

Shizoku wrote:
QUOTE (Shizoku @ Jun 14 2007, 11:55 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Well I disagree strongly with their green light. This takes out a large skill component of the game and imo is cheating. It's a small mod, but where do you honestly draw the line? Next thing you know it will be an aimbot, "but it only helps those who can't aim? So being weedman is also cheating?" You can use the same dumbass arguements to counter the nay sayers in that scenario as well, because it's the same thing - an exploit.

Now I will go complain to my senator, oh wait I have no voice anymore. Yay.

That's a slippery slope that's way off base. An aimbot would have to require a 3rd party modification to the game code, since you'd have to be overriding player input. Again, all this does is some simple math. Allegiance already has something equivilant to the 'aimbot', in the form of the lead indicator. We all know that isn't 100% effective, nor does it make otherwise bad pilots uber.

Personally, I just use the rule of thumb of 'drop at 1000m' for timing my prox drops, since prox has a large enough margin of error to handle badly timed drops. But that's not where the skill comes in.

So yeah, not cheating. At least not in an environment where modding huds, reticules, UI overlays, etc.. is allowed.
"I make it a point not to chat with AP off... space is vast, but it's never vast enough for my scout."
jaybird39

Post by jaybird39 »

A Note to those that made comment on this modification to the Pilot HUD.

To those that are supportive, first of all.....thanks.

I have spent the past several years using my abilities to compensate for literally everything that I am incapable of doing without assistance. This includes everything from simple memory skills, to increasing efficiency and speed.

Some of these things most would find extremely silly, like having my computer remind me to set the garbage cans out each week on Thursday to be picked up on Friday morning, or something as simple as making a pot of coffee (specifically not losing count of how many scoops I just put in the basket, which I use a larger measure and use just one scoop) None the less, these are things that I have to deal with on a daily basis. Things that the average person takes for granted, that I lost years ago along with other abilities. Luckily I have my intellect intact, without it, I could have never learned different ways to do the things that I need to function in life. (BTW timers with magnets on the back are handy as hell to remember things) Knowing where my limits are, and how I can increase those limits has been a way of life for me.

This Mod does that very same thing. It replaces my inability to quickly calculate the proper prox distance, from there I would compare it to the target range, and act accordingly. By the time that I have the number, it would have changed, or I would be in the process of being podded. These milliseconds are vital to me.

The first change that I made was a suggestion from Noir. He suggested that I buy a speed pad. These things are a programmable set of keys that can be set for macros, single keys and so forth so I can not have to try to find key combinations for things like Missile and shield dropping into cargo, or targeting and auto-piloting to orient toward the target. This allowed me to take less time concentrating on the computer, and more time on the piloting of a ship. Thanks Noir BTW, that helped out TONS.

The reticle changes that Mesial made help out further, by give a better reference for targeting the Nan Thanks to Mesial.

Members of my previous squad know my abilities as a pilot, and they know where my limits are. Thus far they have been supportive, and for that I am appreciative. Psychosis, Monkage, TB, and RBRock (now a different name) thanks for at least trying to teach me how to dogfight.

To those that are not supportive, which I find utterly amazing since they already are unaffected by this mod anyway, Sorry but if you had to deal with what I deal with everyday, you would probably do something very similar. I have been playing this game for over a year, and I am still podded like a Newbie by you guys. I understand the game, the concepts, and the tactics better than most if not all newbies, and I am considered a decent pilot by most other players in this game. But I look at the post game readout, and find that I have one of the highest pod ride counts, and lowest number kills of all the players in most games.

So in short, those that are cool with it, thanks. Those that do not like it, Bite me.
Last edited by jaybird39 on Fri Jun 15, 2007 5:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

The Master Pod Pilot!
beeman

Post by beeman »

spideycw wrote:
QUOTE (spideycw @ Jun 15 2007, 10:41 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
not cheating

Best reply yet
"What if, star sailor, I were to come over your house and punch you in the $#@!ing face?!
Will that finally get you to shut the hell up?!?" -- neotoxin
Kumquat

Post by Kumquat »

I really dont like this. It is taking something you gain from experience and feel and giving you a range where if you drop it here it will kill here.

It is basicly substituting skill for a program thinking for you and IMO is a cheat mod.

I am not trying to bag on ya Jay as I am sure you had best intentions but IMO any mod that gives you an unfair advantage over a similarly skilled person not using said mod is cheating FACE TEH FACTS! Had to throw that in.
jaybird39

Post by jaybird39 »

Kumquat wrote:
QUOTE (Kumquat @ Jun 15 2007, 03:54 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I really dont like this. It is taking something you gain from experience and feel and giving you a range where if you drop it here it will kill here.

It is basicly substituting skill for a program thinking for you and IMO is a cheat mod.

I am not trying to bag on ya Jay as I am sure you had best intentions but IMO any mod that gives you an unfair advantage over a similarly skilled person not using said mod is cheating FACE TEH FACTS! Had to throw that in.

No offense taken. I just released the mod because I am using it, since I Suk anyway, This just helps me to keep up. It just does a little math,nothing else really

The skill requirement is still needed, really needed. This just calculates the range where I have difficulty doing it multiple times, over an extended peiod of time like an hour or so. Almost needing a nap afterward.

Unfair advantage? really, if the inexperienced pilto ever uses this, it will do him absolutely no good. Proxing is still a skill regardless. took me a year to get even close
Last edited by jaybird39 on Fri Jun 15, 2007 11:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

The Master Pod Pilot!