Coding

The land-based version of Allegiance, under construction.
Cadillac

Post by Cadillac »

I might think about skimming python, but C++ seems like a whopper atm, got my hands veeery full.

(Don't expect me to be a coding genius anytime soon tongue.gif)
Image Image Image
"If you wish to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first invent the universe." Carl Sagan ("The Lives of the Stars" ep. 9 Cosmos)
Rants Blog Cadillac, *Wurflet@Event, ?GoldDragon@Alleg, ^Biggus*#$@us@XT, +Ashandarei@Zone
HSharp

Post by HSharp »

Mr. Kltplzyxm wrote:
QUOTE (Mr. Kltplzyxm @ Jun 15 2007, 05:48 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
True but not having to alloc and dealloc points in Java makes a huge difference in maintainability at a price of performance. Most of the time, for business apps, that performance hit is acceptable as there are also ways around it.

Yeah I know that there is a great deal of difference between actually using the languages, but for learning purposes once you learn one its easier to learn others. Would be best to learn in Java or C++ though.
Imperio59

Post by Imperio59 »

I may be coaxed into coding a few parts of Quantus (not the whole game but some sub classes or game logic parts...). I have a fair amount of good C++ experience and I could learn Python without too much trouble, I already know about 6 or 7 languages fairly well (C/C++/Java/Javascript/PHP/SQL/ActionScript and some more obscure ones) well so learning a new one shouldn't be that hard. I was Lead coder for several HL/HL2 Mods (all written in C++) the latest being www.calibermod.com which I left a while back due to lack of time...

EDIT:So yea, I looked at blender and Python, and while Blender is a complete mystery to me (just like every other modelling program I ever bothered to open) it looks like a nice engine/Dev tool combo... Once you get things going, if you need a part time coder on things like game mechanics or UI programming, give me a PM/E-mail (preferably the latter).
Last edited by Imperio59 on Fri Jul 27, 2007 9:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
muman42

Post by muman42 »

we could do with adding the thread on coding from the 'general' forum page to here methinks...
Cadillac

Post by Cadillac »

Let's wait a while for the general thread to run its course. Unless we can get BV to copy/split it.

I only have mods powers here otherwise I'd have done it myself.
Image Image Image
"If you wish to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first invent the universe." Carl Sagan ("The Lives of the Stars" ep. 9 Cosmos)
Rants Blog Cadillac, *Wurflet@Event, ?GoldDragon@Alleg, ^Biggus*#$@us@XT, +Ashandarei@Zone
cuculet

Post by cuculet »

You can try one of these games. All are open source. Im searching for something now.

http://osswin.sourceforge.net/games.html
ImageImageImage
radruin

Post by radruin »

Going to have to take a closer look at that Fight Win Prevail game under the FPS category on that site, cuculet; it could have potential.

Shoot...they're abandoning the FWP game; here's hoping it's salvageable
Last edited by radruin on Sat Sep 15, 2007 7:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
QUOTE (Cadillac)Does that mean that dying is effectively a perma-ban from the "Life" server?[/quote]
Cadillac

Post by Cadillac »

So did we actually decide on something yet?
Image Image Image
radruin

Post by radruin »

Most likely Torque, and C++; I think I get C++ enough now; I'd just like to figure out exactly how to lay out my code to accommodate the client-server relationship, and then I'll order Torque and get a-started.
QUOTE (Cadillac)Does that mean that dying is effectively a perma-ban from the "Life" server?[/quote]
the_dare

Post by the_dare »

Radruin wrote:
QUOTE (Radruin @ Nov 11 2007, 03:00 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Most likely Torque, and C++; I think I get C++ enough now; I'd just like to figure out exactly how to lay out my code to accommodate the client-server relationship, and then I'll order Torque and get a-started.

good now we are getting somewhere!
i start doing as much as possible!