checking models up close

A place to discuss user-created Allegiance 3D models, textures, images, and other visual ingame content.
emene86

Post by emene86 »

Hey fellow comrades, hehe, I am working the bios and I want to be able to check how it looks on a model. In game is best to circle around and see it from up close, but it's a chore to open it find a game that is running with bios, get accepted etc. ,... and I check often. Alternatively I use MDL viewer but for bases it too far a view and I can't zoom in so it's not very efficient. I downloaded that pack from yp that should allow me set up a server for checking (i don't even know if that is being used anymore since it was pre R3) but even after download all the missing dll, it says it can't load ebueula.dll, which I can't find on the internet (paysites) . Then there is the other package complied by madp that had this mdledit, but with no readme, i have no idea how to use it.

In short, what do you guys use for up close inspection, and how do you use it.

Thanks in advance,
Endri
madpeople

Post by madpeople »

Endri wrote:
QUOTE (Endri @ Mar 3 2007, 04:52 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hey fellow comrades, hehe, I am working the bios and I want to be able to check how it looks on a model. In game is best to circle around and see it from up close, but it's a chore to open it find a game that is running with bios, get accepted etc. ,... and I check often. Alternatively I use MDL viewer but for bases it too far a view and I can't zoom in so it's not very efficient. I downloaded that pack from yp that should allow me set up a server for checking (i don't even know if that is being used anymore since it was pre R3) but even after download all the missing dll, it says it can't load ebueula.dll, which I can't find on the internet (paysites) . Then there is the other package complied by madp that had this mdledit, but with no readme, i have no idea how to use it.

In short, what do you guys use for up close inspection, and how do you use it.

Thanks in advance,
Endri

mdledit.exe i think you run it from a command line

mdledit fig05.x

i think, i've used it before, yes, it uses .x files not .mdl

i didn't make it, its an original tool

i'm not sure how to zoom in and out with it

want to show us what you've done ? smile.gif
emene86

Post by emene86 »

madpeople wrote:
QUOTE (madpeople @ Mar 3 2007, 09:29 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
want to show us what you've done ? smile.gif

unfortunately its early stages, so I wont appall you yet, hehe.

Just wondering though, would the general public prefer the same looking bases with just higher res, or can i go wild and change some stuff up?

As far as checking it up close, i guess I'll just use in game. The majority of games play bios or phenix anyways, hehe.
emene86

Post by emene86 »

ok, one more problem to add to the list, so i guess the topic name should change, but w/e

im using photoshop and having trouble saving a decent bmp. we want our at 16 bit and ps allows for that when you go to save it, but the outcome is with ripples on the gradients created when the 8bit was converted to 16. So I thought to simply work with 16 from scratch in ps so when it saves it doesn't convert; I changed it to 16 bit inside ps and then when I go to save it, bmp is not part of the options... ok this is funny. I try to save the bmp in 8 bit just to see if it works, and I can't (only 16, 24 and 32 available)! So the only way to save bmp from ps is to degrade it? I'm sure there must be something I am missing. Some1 come to the rescue!
Jonan

Post by Jonan »

I'm going to be annoying and talk out of my arse before madpeople has the chance to help you.

Work with 32 bit from start. The engine allows for it. 24 and 32 has no difference to the bmp in colour. Last byte is either padding or 8bit alpha.
My Sig
Adaven

Post by Adaven »

Actually that would imply you should use 24 bit for now, because the alpha channel is meaningless. The color bands are definitely a problem when downconverting from 24 to 16, but the current mdl programs do this anyways. The engine supports 24 bit, but they are 50% larger files, and you have to convert them with a special version of mdlc or you end up with 16 bit again. I'd keep doing things in higher color formats and maybe someone else can figure out how to optimize a 16-bit version.
Last edited by Adaven on Sat Mar 03, 2007 8:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Weedman

Post by Weedman »

You can zoom in with mdl view, it's middle mouse button, hold down scroll button and move in or out
Last edited by Weedman on Sun Mar 04, 2007 1:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
QUOTE Once engaged 13 and a half Dreg Heavy Ints (at the same time) with an IC Int and emerged in a heavy int with 2 mini 3 and 1 mini dis and all foes destroyed
--- QUOTE (spideycw @ Apr 1 2009, 01:53 PM) Definition of wtfpwn: Weedman in an int[/quote]
Lordus Weedicus II•Uses TS but can be difficult to understand due to the fact has never been sober•Expert int whore (without non-standard use of strafe buttons)•Gains skill increase when playing with Aarmstrong or former members of TRA•Expert miner D (ability to aim)•Can be trusted to run your economy•One of the half dozen or so game changers•Average Stacker
FreeBeer

Post by FreeBeer »

Endri wrote:
QUOTE (Endri @ Mar 3 2007, 12:52 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hey fellow comrades, hehe, I am working the bios and I want to be able to check how it looks on a model. In game is best to circle around and see it from up close, but it's a chore to open it find a game that is running with bios, get accepted etc. ,... and I check often.

Won't using the beta servers solve this problem for you? Run two copies of Alleg in -multi mode (so you have an "opponent so the game can launch). You don't need (nor probably want) to launch using ASGS. Just launch Alleg directly (with the -multi parameter).
Last edited by FreeBeer on Sun Mar 04, 2007 4:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
[img]http://www.freeallegiance.org/forums/st ... erator.gif" alt="IPB Image">

chown -R us base
Adaven

Post by Adaven »

Is beta direct exe or asgs mode currently?
Last edited by Adaven on Sun Mar 04, 2007 5:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
FreeBeer

Post by FreeBeer »

From what I understand, ASGS can be used (when the server has it running) but it is not required in most cases. I was able to log in using the .exe directly last week or so. I think they generally have ASGS off, and only turn it on when they're doing some official testing that requires it. Since concerted development of R4 is currently on holiday (from what I gather) it's probably safe to assume that you won't need ASGS anytime soon.

In case you find it useful (I do) here's the different registry keys I use to switch from the regular Allegiance server, to Faz. This way you don't need to have the FAZ beta installed. Just run the FAZ key and it'll change your registry to have Allegiance point to the FAZ test server lobby. Run Allegiance directly (the .exe in -multi mode if you want) to test. Then run the Regular key to switch back. mrgreen.gif

FAZ key
Regular key
[img]http://www.freeallegiance.org/forums/st ... erator.gif" alt="IPB Image">

chown -R us base