HowTo: Series

Discussion area for user-created Allegiance models, textures, voicechats, music, and other ingame content.
Your_Persona

Post by Your_Persona »

I will start putting up some videos of how to create content for allegiance.

The first one (Nice Explosions) is done.

Yp's crappy site with downloads and vids.
-->>Elitism<<--
I'm not Hamlet. I don't take part any more. My words have nothing to tell me anymore.
mesial

Post by mesial »

Nice!
Allegiance Terror Alert Level: HIGH
madpeople

Post by madpeople »

`rc

you can link to them in the "How Do I" stickie if you want wink.gif
lightninglp

Post by lightninglp »

how do i create a skin for alleg tongue.gif
Wondering Through the high voltage wires...
Some Newb: This Game ROCKS, and its FREE!
madpeople

Post by madpeople »

Cadillac

Post by Cadillac »

Yo I want to make a skin for Alleg, but your link is broken Madp!
Image Image Image
"If you wish to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first invent the universe." Carl Sagan ("The Lives of the Stars" ep. 9 Cosmos)
Rants Blog Cadillac, *Wurflet@Event, ?GoldDragon@Alleg, ^Biggus*#$@us@XT, +Ashandarei@Zone
Adaven

Post by Adaven »

That link is just a little interview with the art lead for the game. It's interesting, but not very technical on how to do it.

Here's what I have to offer:
I'm assuming you are talking about re-skinning an existing model in game, not a new one.

If you want the original artwork in .bmp form to modify or reference, you can get those from the art source http://svn.alleg.net:8080/svn/AllegArt/branch/FAZDev/.

MDLview is also really handy tool (in forum download section) use it to look at the model you are wanting to skin in detail and get a rough idea of what part of the texture is mapped to what part of the ship and how.

Just skipping the actual work (using your favorite image editing software to make your modified texture), you then need to get your image file into a form alleg can use.
Previously, you had to use mdlc to convert your .bmp into bmp.mdl format, but now you can use just about any image type (.png, .bmp, etc) with YP's mdlthing (compressed with 7-zip).

R4 supports normal image formats, but the engine doesn't realize that fig02.bmp, for example, is a valid texture for the fig02 model. MDL thing creates a little textfile called fig02bmp.mdl, that tells the engine that your created image is supposed to get mapped to the correct model. the Text mdl just goes in your artwork folder, and your created image file goes in a /images/ folder in your artwork folder.
Cadillac

Post by Cadillac »

Uh-oh ... sorry Adaven.

Directly after my last post Andon said pretty much the same thing as you on IRC, whereupon I promptly cursed myself for wasting his time because that is not what I wanted to do at all.

What I meant by skin was GUI ... (like Slipstream)

Sorry! sad.gif

p.s: I'm a complete noob in the subject
Last edited by Cadillac on Sun Nov 04, 2007 3:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Image Image Image
"If you wish to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first invent the universe." Carl Sagan ("The Lives of the Stars" ep. 9 Cosmos)
Rants Blog Cadillac, *Wurflet@Event, ?GoldDragon@Alleg, ^Biggus*#$@us@XT, +Ashandarei@Zone
mesial

Post by mesial »

Adaven wrote:
QUOTE (Adaven @ Nov 3 2007, 07:37 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Here's what I have to offer:
I'm assuming you are talking about re-skinning an existing model in game, not a new one.

Is there a different way you would skin, if skinning from scratch?
Allegiance Terror Alert Level: HIGH
tsuillo

Post by tsuillo »

I can't seem to get the MDLC master from YP's site, would anyone else have a copy of it? As much as I love command line work, I certainly wouldn't mind an easier way.

Edit: Scratch that, found it hosted elsewhere. Why is it that any time I search and search and can't find something, as soon as I post a question about it, I find the answer within a minute? ::sigh:: crazy.
Last edited by tsuillo on Thu Aug 07, 2008 4:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Official use only, do not write below this line
[spoiler] -_______No, YOU're seeing things!________- [/spoiler]
[spoiler]Onacirema! I demand your Med supply![/spoiler]