Hires News

Discussion area for user-created Allegiance models, textures, voicechats, music, and other ingame content.
Adaven

Post by Adaven »

I get what you are going at Zap, its just that sometimes I hit roadblocks and an idea for something else will occur to me and I want to do it before I forget. I had an Idea for the cortex stuff and tried a couple things. It appears most visibly on the int so I tested it there first just to make sure the idea was a step in the right direction.

PS: fixed/alternate pic: Rix Test
PSS: this is my last post on this topic, don't want to get things muddied up any worse.
Last edited by Adaven on Wed Dec 06, 2006 9:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
Zapper

Post by Zapper »

The structure looks good.
Try to dime the white or use darkgrey/purple instead of the white in corel texture.
And get some purple undertone..
Better yet.. drop the original corel picture in my mail and ill make a small colour test or ill rinse the picture and make a colour mask's for easy edit..

Zapper
Life suck's and then u play Alleg.
-.. ..- -.- . -. ..- -.- . .----. . -- .. ... - .... . --. .-. . .- - . ... -
Zapper

Post by Zapper »

Bump.. Main post edit
Zapper
Life suck's and then u play Alleg.
-.. ..- -.- . -. ..- -.- . .----. . -- .. ... - .... . --. .-. . .- - . ... -
Gezzunder

Post by Gezzunder »

I'm curious as to why you're using 16 bit depth?

The reason I ask is that the blends on a 16 bit file are pretty chunky - almost like a watercolour. When I checked, a 24bit bmp produced the same size .mdl file as the 16 bit.

A quick cleanup for you to check
Expert Pod Pilot and Damage Magnet, padding KB's in a sector near you
Adaven

Post by Adaven »

Gezz, this post is a little old. When we started working on high res stuff, Allegiance didn't support 24/32 bit color yet. It does now, but there still aren't that much 24bit stuff public for folks to test. All my master .psd's are obviously 24/32 bit and I assume that's what all the other artists have on thier harddrives (except endri, whose drive crashed recently). But I don't think anyone else has gone to the trouble to publish 24bit stuff to actually put in game.

I did release a 24bit environment pack that's floating around somewhere (search this forum for it).
I could whip up a 24-bit rock pack, but I'm in the process of re-doing the models and making completely new textures anyways. If there's enough demand I can do something.

24bit should always be 50% bigger than 16bit files of the same filetype. The extra information has to take up some amount of space. A common issue with the original mdlc: Any input file, be it 16bit, 24bit, etc is always converted to a 16bit .mdl, so of course both files have the same size, because they really have the same bit depth. To put 24bit images into traditional .mdl format, you have the use the 24-bit version of mdlc or you can just create a text .mdl with mdlThing to reference to your original source image of whatever filetype you want.
Last edited by Adaven on Tue Jan 15, 2008 2:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
Gezzunder

Post by Gezzunder »

Thanks Adaven.

Perhaps I have the 24bit version of mdlc, it's obvious that the 24bit import looks much better than the 16bit. There's still more banding than I'd like, but it's much better.

Anyhow, I'm happy to help out if I can. Let me know if there's anything.
Expert Pod Pilot and Damage Magnet, padding KB's in a sector near you