Cheap caps

Discussion / Announcement area for Allegiance Plus Core development.
jgbaxter

Post by jgbaxter »

Oh the EoR caps I didn't mean were easy to kill, I meant they were completely boring, yes, definately. mrgreen.gif
n.b. I may not see a forum post replied to me or a pm sent to me for weeks and weeks...
Pook

Post by Pook »

PCII Caps are where it's at.

Try and stop one of those mamma jammas when you only have 3 people camping.

mrgreen.gif
Badger

Post by Badger »

Maybe, and I realize this could mean more work, a new middle-level capship? Like was said, a bit stronger than a bomber, but not quite a full-blown cap. Maybe an Assault bomber? That would allow the use of the regular bomber ship design. Just double a hvy bomber hp. As for GS, I think just getting the SY for the Assault bomber, would open the door for SC2, which is nice on a GS.

I think Corvs are the next step up from a GS anyways really, maybe too big of a step? Not sure if u want to add a hvy GS or Assault GS to the SY.

Anyways, I think that would make SY more viable. It would also give another tool against Adv Exp. It would make bombers a bit more viable as a tool against Hvy Ints. Maybe... mrgreen.gif

**EDIT**

As I think of it, this would not mean as much extra work if u use the Bomber and GS ships as the Assault versions...
Last edited by Badger on Thu Nov 02, 2006 4:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cadillac

Post by Cadillac »

Please, not Assault GS, I have spent enough time on RPS to know that Rix just rush Ass GS all the time and own all.

Make them like $15000 to research and $100 per ship maybe?
Image Image Image
"If you wish to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first invent the universe." Carl Sagan ("The Lives of the Stars" ep. 9 Cosmos)
Rants Blog Cadillac, *Wurflet@Event, ?GoldDragon@Alleg, ^Biggus*#$@us@XT, +Ashandarei@Zone
madpeople

Post by madpeople »

were you playing rps with money setings its designed for? or just with silly money.

with normal money, you cant really "rush" ass tech
Terralthra

Post by Terralthra »

Spunkmeyer wrote:
QUOTE (Spunkmeyer @ Oct 31 2006, 12:11 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I posted something in the SysX forums today along the lines of "disregarding capships...." - that gave me a pause. Why disregard capships?

Why do only mid sized games see caps, and only if they last forever? Isn't it because caps are way too expensive?

What if caps were cheaper?

And weaker?

We'd still keep the same A+ multipliers, so mg wouldn't be hopeless, and cap hull wouldn't be a joke vs galvs, but the HP would go WAY down. Effectively it'd only be about twice as good as a bomber vs std weapons, and not much better than a bomber vs anti-cap weapons. Perhaps.

But they'd be cheap. Your basic MF would be only a couple of Gs. We'd see a lot more shipyards and caps, not too early in the game because the building requirements would still exist and research would be expensive.

Thoughts? Poke holes in this idea.

One idea I had when I read through the thread was more tailored techpath specific capships. As it stands right now, SY is a techpath that is fairly good v. tac, blows exp away, but loses horribly to sup.

Since you already need another techbase to build a SY (except IC, but w/e), why not tailor the ships available to purchase/research based on what techbase that happens to be?

Assault ship is already fairly tac-like, with the heavy cloak. Cruisers are sup-ish, basically large bombers, while corvettes and frigates are defensive powerhouses (exp).

More capships would be interesting to come up with from that point of view. An HTT-like capship, perhaps more designed around force-capping than stealth? A tac capship designed for miner-hunting?
jgbaxter

Post by jgbaxter »

Hmm, I always thought a PT (Patrol) Boat or a PT (Pocket) Cruiser would be a nice entry level cap ship.

Something like a cross between a heavy bbr and a pattie... if that makes sense... able to load up probes and (2 per slot / 4 per with ews 2/3), and pulse probage (double standard probes), slightly better scan range, 6 abs per slot, or allow possibly the use of 1 cruise per slot or whichever. 2 Turrets, with single/double ac up front. Speed about halfway between normal/heavy bbrs.

PT Cruiser, it's not retro if it's in space. mrgreen.gif
n.b. I may not see a forum post replied to me or a pm sent to me for weeks and weeks...
Grimmwolf_GB

Post by Grimmwolf_GB »

Pook wrote:
QUOTE (Pook @ Nov 2 2006, 05:58 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
PCII Caps are where it's at.

Try and stop one of those mamma jammas when you only have 3 people camping.

mrgreen.gif

Missile frigate rush is the way to go on PC2.
pedro0930

Post by pedro0930 »

How about this,
Capital ship with base destorying ability's price stays the same while decrease the cost for light class capital ships (but that leaves us with only corvettes and assault carrier.. so perhaps we need to make only ship class above Frigate has base destorying ability?)
Or each nuke cost money?
Or make TP2 MR instead?

Plus, there is always the allow shipyard bottom if the game is small.
Dengaroth

Post by Dengaroth »

You people really should get TEK and double-check the name of the forum you're posting in.
RT: The number of typical responses decreases exponentially as the number of joke options increases.