Tweak tachyons on sfs/adv sfs

Discussion / Announcement area for Edge of Reality (EoR) Core development.
Gandalf2

Post by Gandalf2 »

OK, correct me if I'm wrong, which I probably am.

Currently, there doesn't seem to be *that* big a difference between sfs and adv sfs. I feel that there should be more of a difference. OK, so you get to mount more missiles, but myself, I've never run out of missiles on an EoR sf, so that doesn't really affect me. Sticking another tachyon onto an adv sf? Well, to me, that would be a bit too powerful - 2 tachyon guns seem to do no end of damage. I therefore propose instead, to decrease the damage of tachyons by 2/3rds, decreases their energy use by 2/3rd, let the sf mount 2 tachyons and let the adv sfs mount 3. Also, probably decrease the energy capacity of an sfs a bit too.

This would mean, that the damage output of an adv sf would be the same as before, but a normal sf would only do two thirds of the damage.

Now, tell me why I'm wrong cool.gif
spideycw - 'This is because Grav is a huge whining bitch. But we all knew that already' Dec 19 2010, 07:36 PM
factoid

Post by factoid »

Mining Laser damage/energy use would also have to be adjusted, or else you'll lose your cons faster than you can blink.
"I make it a point not to chat with AP off... space is vast, but it's never vast enough for my scout."
Dengaroth

Post by Dengaroth »

Gandalf2 wrote:
QUOTE (Gandalf2 @ Oct 4 2006, 07:27 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Currently, there doesn't seem to be *that* big a difference between sfs and adv sfs.

Well, SF to Adv SF you get:
  • more hull: 150 to 200 (Yeah, I know... it's a SF, so it doesn't matter that much, but still)
  • better scan: 1600 to 2000 (Again, not game-breaking or anything, but sure helps to see miners/cons better - especially with EoR's larger sector radius, a detection range of 3600 and 4500 makes a difference)
  • lower base sig: 50% to 40%
  • better recharge: 80/s to 90/s
  • more missile capacity: 50% more, in fact.
None of those might be jaw-droppers by themselves, but combined, they do make a difference. Personally, I consider the bigger missile capacity to be the most important, as the difference between 2 and 3 PDS salvoes can save your butt.

Overall, though, I'd consider the Adv SF's biggest advantage the fact that it'll probably mount lvl3 tech. That, and the reactor upgrade, naturally.

Just consider the situation with fighters. Enh to Adv level doesn't give you anything that important either, except for small things and torpedo capacity (galv on other cores). Pretty much the only ship with a huge power jump between Enh and Adv are ints, and there are some ideas for addressing that already in the works.

Gandalf2 wrote:
Now, tell me why I'm wrong cool.gif

laugh.gif

Well, off the top of my head: a third gunmount is a pain to balance out. Basically, you're creating a huge jump in killing power between enh and adv tech level (50%). In more 1.25-ish cores, it wouldn't matter all that much, because the gun isn't the main weapon. Here, however, the SF guns are the main weapon. So what you're proposing basically equals slapping dual-fire hunters on Adv SFs in DN.

Gandalf2 wrote:
This would mean, that the damage output of an adv sf would be the same as before, but a normal sf would only do two thirds of the damage.

Wouldn't your change basically send regular SFs to the basement? I thought your premise was "adv SFs are too weak", not "basic SFs are too strong" mrgreen.gif

Seriously though, I don't think reducing tachyon damage is a good idea. It can already be somewhat frustrating killing something fast-moving with them, and it takes a while. Hitting takes aim and good timing. If you reduce the rewards for that, it might not be worthwhile to even try.

So, unless you think basic SFs are too good at killing other piloted ships, I'd advise against.
RT: The number of typical responses decreases exponentially as the number of joke options increases.