GoD II

Discussion / Announcement area for Good Old Days II Core development.
Grimmwolf_GB

Post by Grimmwolf_GB »

I have the core, I have the readme files and I have the permission to use Spunky's and Paradigm's work. I have asked Noir about the use of the DN icons, but he does not want me to use them.
jGBaxter agreed to host the core on his FTX servers.

What has to be done:

- I need to update the icons from the original GoD core to the icons of the later A+ releases. The original Allegiance 1.25 icons are really bad and offer not enough info.

- I need to ask Thalgor to host it and Pook to put the core on AU. (Once it is done)

- I might need to host my own server (which would be EU based)

I don't think I will do any balance work on the first release.
Raveen

Post by Raveen »

If you want new icons I could make some for you, just let me know what you need and I'll see what I can do.
ImageImage
Spidey: Can't think of a reason I'd need to know anything
MadAccountant

Post by MadAccountant »

Use something similar to DN for consistency please. No dots or triangles.

For instance, the int icon is standard and unchanged (I think) from the original 1.25 release and as far as I know no one can trademark the letters L or H.
Raveen

Post by Raveen »

If I make them I'll try to be internally consistent but they'll likely not be too much like the DN ones to avoid Noir thinking I've ripped off his work. I'd probably go back and look at the 1.25 icons and work from there.
ImageImage
Spidey: Can't think of a reason I'd need to know anything
Clay_Pigeon

Post by Clay_Pigeon »

I find the dot system to be simple, functional and elegant. Use the original 1.25 icon for the mk 1 version of a ship, and add dots for mk 2 and 3. Why complexify with letters that communicate exactly the some meaning.

I would prefer something like EoR icons for cons, bases, etc. EoR cons contained a letter in the middle (where the "ball" usually is) to specify the type on con (S for supremacy, T for tac, etc). I forget how hawk handled enh/adv cons though.
Last edited by Clay_Pigeon on Fri Aug 11, 2006 2:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Therefore I will boast all the more gladly about my weaknesses, so that Christ's power may rest on me." -2 Cor 12:9
"Never know how long I've waited, anticipated your smile pressed against mine." -Running
Spunkmeyer

Post by Spunkmeyer »

Just played some R15b5 - the icons there are the "classic" Plus icons. No triangles etc - those should be fine.

Want bigger games? Log on to play at the official game time: 9pmET/8pmCT/7pmMT/6pmPT every day of the week. Also Saturdays 8pm UTC.

jgbaxter

Post by jgbaxter »

We'll be using the FTXb server when Grimms ready, this machine is tailored to running low latency with a direct connection to the 'net with no hubs/routers... once that's up we can try a few big games and see if there's any issues- hopefully it'll be working fine and there won't be connection issues or lag in large games. mrgreen.gif
n.b. I may not see a forum post replied to me or a pm sent to me for weeks and weeks...
Grimmwolf_GB

Post by Grimmwolf_GB »

I have updated the core with the new icons, they look good. The Dot System is pretty easy to understand actually. The only icon I do not like is the stealth bomber (ap_bmr_tac_).

Here is the link to the core, I will ask Pook or Thalgor to pu it on AU.
http://web24.s5.okayspace.de/Kram/GoDII_01.igc
jgbaxter

Post by jgbaxter »

OK the core is up on FTXc server, it's still behind a router until tommorow... so, people that can't connect (you 10%) will need to wait until this time tommorow for the core to be on FTXa with the low latency no-router land of goodness. smile.gif
Last edited by jgbaxter on Sat Aug 12, 2006 4:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
n.b. I may not see a forum post replied to me or a pm sent to me for weeks and weeks...
Grimmwolf_GB

Post by Grimmwolf_GB »

And it is not yet on AU. :(