A Guide to ICE

Core Editor
Vlymoxyd

Post by Vlymoxyd »

You got it right madpeople. It's not how capships works(It's a tag on the base and the ship IIRC), but you could make a core where ints can only launch from exps, fighters from sup and sfs from tacs.

Some people talked about giving factions local values to all bases instead of making it a global faction attribute(Possibly 2 factions values, 1 for ships and 1 for the rest). What it would do:
belters caps an IC op and belters bought ints: When the "belter" team wanna launch ints at the IC op, they would fly IC ints instead of belt ones.

Some claims that locals are useless, but if you want to do a core that isn't standard, it can have many interesting uses.
"Désolé pour les skieurs, moi je veux voir mes fleurs!"
-German teacher

http://www.steelfury.org/
madpeople

Post by madpeople »

Vlymoxyd wrote:
QUOTE (Vlymoxyd @ Mar 15 2008, 06:58 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
You got it right madpeople. It's not how capships works(It's a tag on the base and the ship IIRC), but you could make a core where ints can only launch from exps, fighters from sup and sfs from tacs.

i thought there was a flag relating to the using the large doors. but in DN it seems that SYs and DDs have a flag as a local which is a pre for all capships (the actual ship entry)
Some people talked about giving factions local values to all bases instead of making it a global faction attribute(Possibly 2 factions values, 1 for ships and 1 for the rest). What it would do:
belters caps an IC op and belters bought ints: When the "belter" team wanna launch ints at the IC op, they would fly IC ints instead of belt ones.[/quote]
i had thought of that, thought it would be cool.

though you would need to have two "this faction is giga/belters/IC/..." variables

one for research, and one for ships and parts, else i think you could then start constructing IC bases when in an IC op ? i think?
Vlymoxyd

Post by Vlymoxyd »

I didn't check DN, you might be right about caps.

The reason why you would need 2 type of variables is that local values don't count on the global level. A local value will let you launch a heavy int at the base, it'll let you use mini3, but it won't unlock any devels.

If all factions had exactly the same devels/bases it would work, but since there's difference, it won't. You couldn't allow a faction to have a special devel/bases while locking it for another using locals(Since locals have no impacts on devels).

Btw, different devels can be just belter's extra price on tech and lower prices on ships, not special stuff like armor plating htts.

So, the way to do it(Ok, there could be something else that I missed):
You have 1 faction variable for bases/devels/unique ships that is global and one for standard ships and techs that is local.

If you're running low on variables, you could use just 1 variable/faction and copy the faction variable to the local of every bases. The results would be that you could use both your ships and the ships of the enemy at one of the enemy base. It might be confusing to have 2 versions of every ships, but it could also be fun.

Putting IC's variable as a local would not allow you to build IC bases if you capped an IC op. As I said earlier(sorry for the wrong order), locals just unlock stuff locally and to build stuff, you need to have the variable unlocked at the global level.
-German teacher

madpeople

Post by madpeople »

how does one set the order of devls, are they sorted by UID? if so do you have to mess around duplicating and deleting and swapping pres and defs things until you get things in the order you want them in?
apochboi

Post by apochboi »

Rather simply, on ICE, at the top it has sorting option. Just unclick Sort. It lets you edit where they are. It's not as complicated as messing around with the pre/defs to get them in the correct order.
madpeople

Post by madpeople »

why do ships define them selves?

e.g. an adv scout in zonecore

Ship: Adv Scout (585):
Pre = 1 102 185
Def = 185

it requires 185 and gives 185

185 gets set by the research for it.

if it didn't have 185 in its def list what would happen?
apochboi

Post by apochboi »

The developement part for that ship will read something along the lines of ...

Pre - 1 21 102
Def - 185

this part means, to reserch advanced scouts you need, 1 = development on, 21 = starbase, 102 = belters
If you meet them requirements then you can research 185 = advanced scouts

so the ship part in ice will read.

Pre - 1 102 185
Def - 185

(Pre) Providing you have 1 = development on, 102 = you are belters and 185 = you have researched 185 - advanced scouts
(Def) 185 - You can access Heavy scouts.

Remember devels only yield the "DEF" value once you have researched them

EDIT: PS if it didnt have 185 in the list, it would give you free adv scout without researching them. The 185 in the Development and In the part is crucial.
Last edited by apochboi on Wed Mar 19, 2008 4:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
madpeople

Post by madpeople »

apochboi wrote:
QUOTE (apochboi @ Mar 19 2008, 04:47 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
The developement part for that ship will read something along the lines of ...

Pre - 1 21 102
Def - 185

this part means, to reserch advanced scouts you need, 1 = development on, 21 = starbase, 102 = belters
If you meet them requirements then you can research 185 = advanced scouts

so the ship part in ice will read.

Pre - 1 102 185

Def - 185

(Pre) Providing you have 1 = development on, 102 = you are belters and 185 = you have researched 185 - advanced scouts
(Def) 185 - You can access Heavy scouts.

Remember devels only yield the "DEF" value once you have researched them

EDIT: PS if it didnt have 185 in the list, it would give you free adv scout without researching them. The 185 in the Development and In the part is crucial.

green = i know
red = i don't follow
orange = i understand if you mean having 185 in the pre, but not in the def

i understand that if they research a development which defs 185 then they can get adv scouts,
but why does the adv scout also def the 185 when it gets set by the devl anyway?

i don't see how removing the 185 from the ship's def list would mean they get the ship free, i can see how they can get it free if the 85 wasn't in the pre list

Ship: Adv Scout (585):
Pre = 1 102 185
Def = 185

i can understand a piece of tech having its own number as a def

e.g.
Part: Booster 2 (27):
Pre = 197 230
Def = 197

that means that if the enemy brings in a floating booster 2 then they can use it (provided they are belts or have a sup)
but having a ship def its self doesn't make sense unless you were able to dock an enemy ship in your base so you get whatever defs it defs set for your own team
Last edited by madpeople on Wed Mar 19, 2008 5:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
apochboi

Post by apochboi »

Reading that again.

lets put this really simple Terms.

DEVELOPMENT

Advanced Scouts
PRE = 1 21 102
DEF = 185

So once you have researched this ^^ you gain the number 185

Now to access Adv Scouts

You need

PRE = 1 21 102 185
DEF = 185

In the development part you gained the number 185 which is a prerequirement for the ship.

Now, if you didnt have the 185 pre requirement in the ship itself all you would need to get the ship is 1, and 21 ie a starbase and development on.

So as soon as you upgraded your garrison you would get the advanced scout free. Since there is no pre-requirement (185) for the development.

Does this make anymore sence.
Last edited by apochboi on Wed Mar 19, 2008 5:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Vlymoxyd

Post by Vlymoxyd »

You're right madp, I think the 185 is completely useless.
For devels, a long time ago, I brought up a discussion about them. The concensus(that should be checked) is that if there's 2 devels for the same attribute, the game will hide the most expensive one untill the cheapest one is researched.
-German teacher