Feeling brave? Living in the US or Germany? RCS might be for you.

Non-Allegiance related. High probability of spam. Pruned regularly.
peet

Post by peet »

https://www.androidpolice.com/2019/10/3 ... ght-now/#1

If you feel brave you might want to turn on RCS (kind a sms 2.0 / chatapp thingy)
pkk

Post by pkk »

I've never turned it on, it was enabled by the system itself.

I ran into a problems sending messages, I was not even sure if messages have been sent. Back to old SMS/MMS.
The Escapist (Justin Emerson) @ Dec 21 2010, 02:33 PM:
The history of open-source Allegiance is paved with the bodies of dead code branches, forum flame wars, and personal vendettas. But a community remains because people still love the game.
Terran

Post by Terran »

why not just use whatsapp or whatever? it's probably still gonna be better than whatever this new thing is
JimmyNighthawk wrote:QUOTE (JimmyNighthawk @ Jun 30 2013, 11:32 PM) "Bavarian Sausage Anti-Ketchup Soap"[*]
peet

Post by peet »

If the telco's were not handling customers as lemons which should be squeezed to the max, Whatsapp and the likes would have no chance. I remember the time that 1 sms/text message was like 25 cents, and MMS like 40 cent a piece (MMS is being phased out here). When BlackBerry Ping arrived which was popular for a while. Whatsapp arrived at the right time (multi platform) and virtually everyone in MyLittleCountry uses it. Minor ripples in the water when Facebook bought it.

RCS will likely be another cash generator, with no end-to-end encryption (nice to generate personalized ads and even usable in China). With Googles track record of terminated apps I don't think I will use it very fast. Also no iPhone support?
pkk

Post by pkk »

If you don't encrypt your messages, you can't get hacked:
https://srlabs.de/bites/rcs-hacking/

:doh:
The Escapist (Justin Emerson) @ Dec 21 2010, 02:33 PM:
The history of open-source Allegiance is paved with the bodies of dead code branches, forum flame wars, and personal vendettas. But a community remains because people still love the game.
peet

Post by peet »

Even some end to end encrypted chat apps have a flaw called invisible group member. Someone converts a 1 on 1 chat into an invisible group, add a hidden 3th person. The third person can than see everything in this group.