HighRes texture for bgrnd55

A place to discuss user-created Allegiance 3D models, textures, images, and other visual ingame content.
pkk

Post by pkk »

I've made an texture for the new he3 asteroid.

Installation:
Extract files into your artwork\texture folder.

Download:
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/2975104/permanent/...d55_highres.zip
The Escapist (Justin Emerson) @ Dec 21 2010, 02:33 PM:
The history of open-source Allegiance is paved with the bodies of dead code branches, forum flame wars, and personal vendettas. But a community remains because people still love the game.
Spinoza

Post by Spinoza »

Looks good but too clean... needs small scale dirt and scratches. I'll try touching it up maybe with stuff borrowed from recent asteroid images?
Image Image Image
pkk

Post by pkk »

Just added a moon photo to the original texture, to add details.

Gauss blur and layers did the rest.
The history of open-source Allegiance is paved with the bodies of dead code branches, forum flame wars, and personal vendettas. But a community remains because people still love the game.
Spinoza

Post by Spinoza »

Do you have a layout template polygon thingie for how it wraps?
Image Image Image
pkk

Post by pkk »

Nope, like I said, I just used the original texture.
Adaven

Post by Adaven »

Yeah, there aren't any templates just lying around, although you could probably get one from the .x files in the svn art repo. All the asteroid uv maps are just a plain cylindrical projection of equally spaced triangles (bisected quads), wrapping on the left / right edge with a little funny business at the poles. You really wouldn't be able to tell anything from the template since it completely ignores the physical geometry.

The original devs basically mapped a primitive shape, then distorted it to the desired shape, and lighting to cast shadows and "baked" the rendered output back on to the texture map. The only way to recapture that transformation would be to open up the original models in Softimage XSI (models in Arisman Codex) and work from there and re-bake, or do what pkk (and I did), just look at the original texture and try to work around the existing features.
Spinoza

Post by Spinoza »

Hmm, since this one is round, I might go crazy and try to figure out how it maps the hard way.
Image Image Image
MagisterXF94

Post by MagisterXF94 »

Does your high res pack include this, or should i include it pkk?
QUOTE ^cashto@Elem (all): yeah, i imagine if you're rusty, you could build op short for no reason, build a naked ref, then go two techpaths even though your mining is by all objective standards $#@!ed[/quote]