Trying to modify existing sounds

A place to discuss user-created Allegiance music, soundfiles, chatpacks, and other audio-related content.
Deathrender

Post by Deathrender »

So modifying existing sounds by simply replacing the sound file under the same name isn't doing it. Something is preventing the change from going in-game.

Trying to replace boundsalert with a custom sound file and it still plays the default boundsalert file.

There must be another file controlling this. What am I missing and what do I need to do to get this working? Checking around on the forum, I can't find specific instructions on how to do this.
phoenix1 wrote:QUOTE (phoenix1 @ Jul 22 2017, 05:58 PM) Mini ac gunner mount was removed because somewhere along the lines we had a core dev that said, "I really hate Terran and want him to be miserable." And all core devs ever since have agreed.
HJ_KG
Location: Plutocracy, USA Occupation: misanthropic anthropologist

Post by HJ_KG »

ok, since you made me laugh out loud with that clip, I grant you one free $#@! - up pass, redeem as necessary.

So, ok, there are two files in this folder;
C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Games\Allegiance 1.2\Production\Artwork

boundsalert.wav
boundsalert.ogg

You only get the wav one if you allow the unpack for slower systems, or its the other way round, I don't remember, its been a while since i did a reload.
Now, funny thing is, allegiance played no sound if there was no .ogg file, even if there was a wav file
but changing boundsalert.ogg gave me the new sound.

i made the whole clip into an ogg file, seemed to work fine.
unindicted co-conspirator
Deathrender

Post by Deathrender »

What happened for me was after removing the old file and replacing, it continued to play the old sound.

EDIT: Got it. Was not searching far up the folder hierarchy. I was trying to find the second file you were talking about and I thought you referred to the Unpacked Wav install. When in-fact there was another file for that completely.

Thanks man :P

Can I also convert the Z wav files to fix up TE's chatpack?

EDIT2: That fixed it, too. Just converting the files to OGG. But they do not seem to work for the in-game music. Has that feature been broken completely?
EDIT3: What has been $#@!ed is now un$#@!ed. PKK's OG soundtrack on Mesial's site worked, Noir's would not.
Last edited by Deathrender on Fri Jan 02, 2015 7:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
phoenix1 wrote:QUOTE (phoenix1 @ Jul 22 2017, 05:58 PM) Mini ac gunner mount was removed because somewhere along the lines we had a core dev that said, "I really hate Terran and want him to be miserable." And all core devs ever since have agreed.
MagisterXF94

Post by MagisterXF94 »

Deathrender wrote:QUOTE (Deathrender @ Jan 2 2015, 04:10 PM) What happened for me was after removing the old file and replacing, it continued to play the old sound.

EDIT: Got it. Was not searching far up the folder hierarchy. I was trying to find the second file you were talking about and I thought you referred to the Unpacked Wav install. When in-fact there was another file for that completely.

Thanks man :P

Can I also convert the Z wav files to fix up TE's chatpack?

EDIT2: That fixed it, too. Just converting the files to OGG. But they do not seem to work for the in-game music. Has that feature been broken completely?
EDIT3: What has been $#@!ed is now un$#@!ed. PKK's OG soundtrack on Mesial's site worked, Noir's would not.
Noir's had a special fix made https://www.dropbox.com/s/hfkqvs8u2kger ... x.zip?dl=0
Backup your sound def.mdl first
QUOTE ^cashto@Elem (all): yeah, i imagine if you're rusty, you could build op short for no reason, build a naked ref, then go two techpaths even though your mining is by all objective standards $#@!ed[/quote]
pkk

Post by pkk »

I broke wav support some time ago, it'll be fixed on R8:
http://trac.alleg.net/changeset/1159/allegsvn
The Escapist (Justin Emerson) @ Dec 21 2010, 02:33 PM:
The history of open-source Allegiance is paved with the bodies of dead code branches, forum flame wars, and personal vendettas. But a community remains because people still love the game.
Deathrender

Post by Deathrender »

pkk wrote:QUOTE (pkk @ Jan 2 2015, 08:34 PM) I broke wav support some time ago, it'll be fixed on R8:
http://trac.alleg.net/changeset/1159/allegsvn
I appreciate the info, but I'm all good now. I've got a Timesplitters soundtrack to fit the game and some Porkchop Sandwiches for sector boundary.

Now to switch up the ambient hangar announcements :D

I might post some of these up on the forum if I don't butcher the job of editing the audio.
MagisterXF94

Post by MagisterXF94 »

I can give you a list of each faction hangar announcement if you like.
There are also tons of unsed ones in the art source.
QUOTE ^cashto@Elem (all): yeah, i imagine if you're rusty, you could build op short for no reason, build a naked ref, then go two techpaths even though your mining is by all objective standards $#@!ed[/quote]