Installing without the installer

User-to-user help and troubleshooting.
<.<

Post by <.< »

Hm so I'm playing outta internet cafes right now and will be for the foreseeable future.

Since they like to auto-wipe all files on re-install I have to set-up all the files every time, which usually takes about 35 minutes when you include the install for Microsoft's .NET Framework 3.5 SP1 (52 glorious MBs) and the two small but for some reason time consuming sets of ~300 files the server always updates.

My question, if I manage to get a copy of the MS installer, and I just copy past the entire Microsoft Games folder, updated artwork files and all, from a USB should I be able to just run Allegiance? The reason I'd think there's a chance I couldn't is because of the two 2XX file updates (there must be a reason they aren't part of the installer right)? If that's a problem can I still copy the pre-updated files directly into Program Files -> Microsoft Games and then run Alleg to get the installs?

Oh and if you're wondering why I'm not just testing this myself, I stupidly don't have a +2 gig flash drive with me and it's surprisingly hard to find one in a place so full of internet cafes.

Thanks,
aem

Post by aem »

Someone will probably come along with a better idea if this will work, but you are definitely missing a key component. You would need to make a registry file to import to each computer you want to play on. You'd also have to edit the registry directory locations to match whatever drive letter is currently assigned to the USB drive. Assuming this is the only other step it would certainly be quicker than doing a full install every time.

I think this would work, but I can't say for sure without testing. If there are problems I suspect it would be with ACSS rather than Allegiance.
pkk

Post by pkk »

Export registry settings:

Win x64: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Microsoft\Microsoft Games\Allegiance
Win x32: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Microsoft Games\Allegiance

All you have to do is fixing the path locations.

You also need VS2010 Runtime, if they're not installed.

You might need to update DirectX 9.0c and install .net Framework 3.5 (should be already installed on Win7).
Last edited by pkk on Sun Aug 31, 2014 10:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
The Escapist (Justin Emerson) @ Dec 21 2010, 02:33 PM:
The history of open-source Allegiance is paved with the bodies of dead code branches, forum flame wars, and personal vendettas. But a community remains because people still love the game.