Hello and are there any > +8GMT players?

Open forum for new Pilots.
Schprocket

Post by Schprocket »

Hi All!

I still have the original Allegiance game sitting on my bookshelf - that being the only one of half a dozen games I've kept of it's vintage - and I'd often wondered if there was still a community playing it.

So a couple of days ago, after a mate asked me if I'd heard of a game called Evochron Mercenary, I'm reminded of Allegiance, I do some research to back up my post and I find that my question is answered :)

I remember that playing in Western Australia on a 56k modem back in 2000/2001, I mustn't have had any idea about lag but on top of making just about every rookie mistake in the FAQ (bar the comms spamming and dropping mines in stupid places), I found it very difficult sometimes to figure out what was going on because things would be there, then not there (I had more experience with this in FPSs years later).

I vaguely remember it being a game that I really wanted to get into but connecting to a server just seemed to get harder and harder to the point where I just gave up playing as a result.

Now I've found this site and read the FAQs I can see I still have a lot to learn ( never mind that I can't remember much about Allegiance other than I'd played it! ) but given it's learning curve, and my limited availability for gaming time, I hope I can pick the game up fast enough to get some enjoyment out of playing again.

I'll be playing mainly on weekends and I'm UTC +8 which puts me about 12 - 14 hours ahead of US players in the east, so I'll be aiming to play Saturday/Sunday mornings which will be Friday/Saturday night Stateside. For Euro players, it's a little more difficult as I'm 6 - 8 hours 'ahead' and for Aussies (and I doubt there's a big West Aussie community) I'm 2 - 3 hours behind you :)

Cheers!
Last edited by Schprocket on Mon Apr 01, 2013 5:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
Dome

Post by Dome »

Welcome back.

Glad you found your way onto mumble.