Stop hurting the beloved heavy scout

Development area for FreeAllegiance's Community Core.
Spunkmeyer

Post by Spunkmeyer »

There is no reverse-thruster firing, Turkey is correct. Thrusters only fire to establish your requested velocity, not when you exceed maximum speed. Drag is a function of ships maximum thrust (which is equal to the forward thrust). Drag is always applied in the opposite direction to your velocity, and is equal to your thrust when you reach the rated maximum speed. Therefore, if you exceed this speed, it slows you down.

Want bigger games? Log on to play at the official game time: 9pmET/8pmCT/7pmMT/6pmPT every day of the week. Also Saturdays 8pm UTC.

MonAG

Post by MonAG »

http://www.freeallegiance.org/FAW/index.ph.../Bomber_tactics

After being rammed, hold on the thrust forward key to stop your ship from automatically using it's side thrusters to correct your vector to the center of the screen. Using side-thrusters = slowing down to normal top speed faster.
Vortrog

Post by Vortrog »

Spunkmeyer wrote:QUOTE (Spunkmeyer @ Aug 17 2012, 09:28 AM) Thrusters only fire to establish your requested velocity, not when you exceed maximum speed.
Its called a vector, Victor!
ThePhantom032

Post by ThePhantom032 »

Hellsyng wrote:QUOTE (Hellsyng @ Aug 16 2012, 09:26 PM) Bomber pilots pressing forwards thrust does nothing, I'll go find the thread where they tested it if I have to, the only thing it does is keep your momentum going forward in case you get a bad ram (that tries to make you go sideways a little).
Even if you have a perfect ram you should press forward thrust, because if you turn (and you always turn a tiny bit unless you turn off the mouse) you also will lose speed to the sidethrusters. (Sidethrusters firing means less power on forward thrust means slowing down)

The backthruster only fires to slow you down if your thrust is set to less than 100%, if it is at 100% it doesnt. So if you are in the danger of overboosting reduce your thrust value to slow down faster. Like with cars in real life you get to your target quicker if you actually hit the brakes instead of slowing down by yourself but you also use more fuel. Choose wisely ;)

To test just start a game, fly something that can boost and dont forget turn off virtual joystick so you go straight while boosting. Remember that while you press the boost key (even while reloading fuel) it acts like hitting your forward thruster too.

-> It never hurts to hit forward thrust if you want maximum speed, it just doesnt always help.
Still ready to teach anyone who asks nicely whatever they want to know about playing alleg. Contrary to popular opinion I do not eat newbies. Voobs taste much better.
Spunkmeyer

Post by Spunkmeyer »

Vortrog wrote:QUOTE (Vortrog @ Aug 16 2012, 06:57 PM) Its called a vector, Victor!
Velocity is a vector.

Want bigger games? Log on to play at the official game time: 9pmET/8pmCT/7pmMT/6pmPT every day of the week. Also Saturdays 8pm UTC.

lexaal

Post by lexaal »

Spunkmeyer wrote:QUOTE (Spunkmeyer @ Aug 17 2012, 02:56 PM) Velocityraptor.
2 probes, 4 if ewsprobe3 is researched..
Last edited by lexaal on Fri Aug 17, 2012 2:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I have a johnson photo in my profile since 2010.