Fixing deathmatch

Development areas for Allegiance core (IGC) design.
Compellor

Post by Compellor »

Adaven wrote:QUOTE (Adaven @ Feb 5 2012, 10:59 AM) This is completely do-able in ICE. Here's the piece you are missing:

The interval between treasure spawns is based on the payday interval.

This is a global ICE option defaulted to 60s. I once wanted to do something silly with spec's and set the payday to .0001 or something, and was surprised to see my sectors overloaded with tech.
A fact which I will now document in the wiki. *sigh*
Any job worth doing with a laser is worth doing with many, many lasers. -Khrima
Beyond a shadow of a doubt if you don't watch them like a hawk they will stack their collective balls off - MrChaos on Alleg players
DasSmiter

Post by DasSmiter »

Compellor wrote:QUOTE (Compellor @ Feb 5 2012, 01:10 AM) Seeing as there's some interest, I'm gonna make one last attempt and install the LAN server from scratch. EDIT: success!

What I'm aiming for as a first release is interceptors only, balance based on CC13, teleporter models as garrisons, increased launch speed, reduced sector size, and a custom treasure set with Mini3 and Boost3. I figure if people play it, I can improve on ('fix' is too ambitious a word) whatever balance issues there are between the different factions' interceptors, then add in Enh or Adv fighters later. Once the figs are added I'll probably get more creative with the treasures so that anyone can use the stuff that drops (BTW what is that helix beam thing?). My big question on treasures is if they should be mostly fuel and ammo, or mostly powerups (unless I just do powerups that don't refill health).

So, list of code-related ideas:
Killbonus toggle.
Launching from ships as though they were bases (might experiment with ripcording first before I say this is needed or even useful).
Non-random treasures (CTF variant? Placed in map editor?).
Higher treasure spawn rate options. I flew in circles in a scout for ten minutes on Brawl with treasures set to high and I saw maybe 2-3 starting treasures and another 2-3 that spawned later. I'm thinking a new treasure every 30 seconds would be nice. This might have something to do with spawn rates being lower in home sectors, but OTOH Brawl is special in certain ways I can't remember exactly how.
Make picking up treasures and dropped fuel/ammo easier.
Freespace-style mobile asteroids.
Howdy it looks like you're messing with ICE, do you need some help?

I can't comment on the map stuff but ICE options for treasures first off rely on the payday time for how often they spawn. For a treasure set you see the chance option on the side when you add a tech to the list. Its probably best to have all the chance numbers add up to 100 so that each number you put in is the % out of 100 that the tech will appear. The no-pods toggle essentially works as a no kb toggle, restricting it's effects only to players who manage to score a streak of kills. Launching from ships isn't possible AFAIK, but you'll want to talk to Andonn if you can he's tried to mess with that in his core. IIRC Noir tried something like that with Pnix's fancy mobile techs, but they could only act as a carrier.

I'm not sure on this, but I think mobile asteroids has been tried before and didn't work out too well. Dense asteroids can be done I think, and something that might be worth looking into is alephs that link back to the system from which they came. Could be useful to toss 4 or 6 of them at the sector boundary (which you'll probably also want to change) to mark it easily. IMO a non connected map with 2 ripcords in the dm sector might be worth looking into, but I don't know how well that would work.

Furthermore it might be worth it to restrict the weapons to 1 mount on an int. Energy fed gats versus Ammo fed minis might be a choice to make on launch and then having guns that can be picked up around the map woulud be nice.
ImageImageImage
Get over yourselves, don't try to win arguments on the internet where the option of a punch in the mouth is unavailable
"It is not that I cannot create anything good, but that I will not." And to prove this, he created the peacock.
Compellor

Post by Compellor »

I knew all of that except the paydays thing, Das. Spidey didn't add me to CC team just 'cause he likes me. I've got a couple of half-finished cores on my HDD I eventually decided weren't as good an idea as when I started. E.g. gunship core, where ints, figs, and SFs are replaced with gunship variants. Or speed core, where everything's faster (still kinda think this is a good plan, I just don't know how to balance it). I originally got started by trying to port Freespace 2 ships into a new core, but lost interest after converting artwork for 4 or 5 ships, and realizing that there wasn't a viable carrier model for any of the 3 species.

Whether kill streaks should be reinforced to make a continued streak easier is an arguable point. I don't know of any game other than Alleg that does it via straight up damage bonus. CoD does it with killstreak rewards, but that at least adds variety to the game.
Beyond a shadow of a doubt if you don't watch them like a hawk they will stack their collective balls off - MrChaos on Alleg players
Spunkmeyer

Post by Spunkmeyer »

Compellor wrote:QUOTE (Compellor @ Feb 5 2012, 08:07 PM) Whether kill streaks should be reinforced to make a continued streak easier is an arguable point.
If we are talking about doing that with KB, it's arguable insofar as people who don't understand the damaging effects to gameplay will continue to argue, yes. :innocent:
Last edited by Spunkmeyer on Mon Feb 06, 2012 2:45 am, edited 1 time in total.

Want bigger games? Log on to play at the official game time: 9pmET/8pmCT/7pmMT/6pmPT every day of the week. Also Saturdays 8pm UTC.

DasSmiter

Post by DasSmiter »

Oh sorry comp, did you change your avatar? I didn't recognize you haha
ImageImageImage
Get over yourselves, don't try to win arguments on the internet where the option of a punch in the mouth is unavailable
"It is not that I cannot create anything good, but that I will not." And to prove this, he created the peacock.
Compellor

Post by Compellor »

LOL. There, maybe now I won't confuse anyone.
Last edited by Compellor on Tue Feb 07, 2012 2:24 am, edited 1 time in total.