minor problems with dev off

From the Dark Nebula, a new star is born.
DonKarnage

Post by DonKarnage »

Just a couple things I thought might be worth mentioning. Noticed these during a DM;
Giga has luxy medium shielded stealths. <- these win against anything unless you close in and out-turn them.
IC has no stealths at all.
Belter fighters can use 2 minis + a gat or nan.

There's various other things that don't seem to matter as much, but I was under the impression that dev-off standardized most things to put the teams on equal footing.

We were only playing a DM because nobody wanted to command, and a migration to another core would thin everyone out too much.

Normally both teams agree to use the same faction in these cases, but when they don't, you can find yourself with frustrating handicaps that aren't covered by the things dev off removes.
It is Karnage! Don Karnage! Roll the r!
Psychosis

Post by Psychosis »

DonKarnage wrote:QUOTE (DonKarnage @ Jun 14 2011, 05:46 PM) Just a couple things I thought might be worth mentioning. Noticed these during a DM;
Giga has luxy medium shielded stealths. <- these win against anything unless you close in and out-turn them.
IC has no stealths at all.
Belter fighters can use 2 minis + a gat or nan.

There's various other things that don't seem to matter as much, but I was under the impression that dev-off standardized most things to put the teams on equal footing.

We were only playing a DM because nobody wanted to command, and a migration to another core would thin everyone out too much.

Normally both teams agree to use the same faction in these cases, but when they don't, you can find yourself with frustrating handicaps that aren't covered by the things dev off removes.
I agree that giga having luxies might be a little strong, but how many other factions also support ADV SF?

also, belt figs can ALWAYS mount 2 mini's its normal faction perk.

dev-off does not make square core where everything is equal, it levels tech out to approximate balance, while leaving each faction its distinct advantages
NightRychune

Post by NightRychune »

because of the way faction pre/defs are handled in ICE it's really really difficult to un$#@! things like this, and because dms are so minimal it's not really worth the effort
TurkeyXIII

Post by TurkeyXIII »

Not that difficult. If you want asfs without lxysfs, have a look at how 1.25 does dev off. Or removing asfs from giga would be even more straightforward. Giga MS lxy has been the win button for dms since they were put into CC.

IC has always had no stealths in dev off. Don't know why. There are other inconsistencies, like GT not having nans I think.

@psych the factions don't retain all of their perks, only the things that are defined by hull type. GA-type modifiers are all set to 1.0 with dev off (ie: rix doesn't have gun perks, giga has neither hull nerf nor shield perk, etc).

Better solution: remove giga entirely. Conquest would be better too.
QUOTE (Randall Munroe)14.2: Turkey consumption rate of the average American in milligrams per minute[/quote]