Jelloshot HUD - modifying

A place to discuss user-created Allegiance 3D models, textures, images, and other visual ingame content.
Spinoza

Post by Spinoza »

I've just made the switch from CortUI/software HUD to Jelloshot as part of my ongoing effort to transform into a whore...

For the uninitiated, Jelloshot HUD has the following features/advantages:
No nooby text tags (ammo, fuel, etc)Face to face: your hull/shield/KB are on the right and your target's on the left, easy to see and compare.Cleaner target view, target name in larger font.Very clear in range and damage indicators.
Things I dislike and wish to change:
Too bright and at the same time too soft and smoothed out.The colour is too close to bullets/smoke etc.Doesn't match the look of other UI elements and Alleg in general IMO.Target area is too neutral and doesn't use the target colour.
General statement:
There are people I know who like the look of plain vanilla Alleg but really need to switch to a modern HUD.
Having recently reinstalled alleg made me realise I also like the look of the classic HUD, so I will try to make my modification look like it.
I will also try to make a template file which others could use to modify Jelloshot to their liking.

Link:
Screenshots of Jelloshot and other CortUI stuff.

I welcome your input!
Last edited by Spinoza on Mon Jul 19, 2010 1:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Image Image Image
Spinoza

Post by Spinoza »

Minor work update.

Here's a rough draft of the new target view:

I was inspired by the targeting displays in Star Wars, in the X-wing and especially in the Millennium Falcon turrets.
I think the grid-box makes it clearer that the object in the target display is a tiny hologram which looks really cool.
It will take a lot of tweaking to make it unobtrusive, tho after flying with it a few minutes it looks right at home.

In other news:
Here's a peek at my fuel/ammo icons:
Image Image Image
Spinoza

Post by Spinoza »

Work is slow, I keep getting distracted by other stuff, like doing a wiki article on Tcore and playing Alien Swarm... XD

Here's a screenshot of the target view (still a draft):

I think it almost achieves the 3D hologram effect I want.
It's not centered properly (the object is too low) and it needs a lot of fine tuning of the gradient to achieve a sense of depth.
I'll probably remake it with a diff number of tiles too.

It might be cool to animate the filled squares, but MDL is so limited... it should be possible to make certain squares turn on and off on specific conditions but the number of conditions MDL offers is small.
It just might be possible to generate a semi random pattern every time you switch targets or something like that.
Image Image Image
Bunnywabbit

Post by Bunnywabbit »

Spinoza wrote:QUOTE (Spinoza @ Jul 26 2010, 03:32 PM) It might be cool to animate the filled squares, but MDL is so limited... it should be possible to make certain squares turn on and off on specific conditions but the number of conditions MDL offers is small.
It just might be possible to generate a semi random pattern every time you switch targets or something like that.
That last bit you can't do. There's nothing in mdl that can generate a random number. You cluld take something absurdly unrelated and fluctuating like the speed + distance and switch whenever they're even ( when Mod(speed+distance),2)=0 ) or divisible by five or something. you get the idea. But that would only blit it to the screen very briefly, as the condition would only be true very briefly.

What you can do is ugly and cludgy, but would probably work, is do it with the Min() and Max() functions.

You take a fluctuating value, like the target hull plus target shield. Divide(add(targethull,target shield),2) , and you make several versions of your background, say 5.

Then you switch BGno1 ON if the target hull is between 80-100, BGno2 for 60-80, BGno3 for 40-60 and so on. Would make it slightly more controlled.
ImageImage current version r158 new beta as of jan 23 2012
Spinoza

Post by Spinoza »

Bunnywabbit wrote:QUOTE (Bunnywabbit @ Jan 17 2011, 07:35 PM) That last bit you can't do. There's nothing in mdl that can generate a random number. You cluld take something absurdly unrelated and fluctuating like the speed + distance and switch whenever they're even ( when Mod(speed+distance),2)=0 ) or divisible by five or something. you get the idea. But that would only blit it to the screen very briefly, as the condition would only be true very briefly.

What you can do is ugly and cludgy, but would probably work, is do it with the Min() and Max() functions.

You take a fluctuating value, like the target hull plus target shield. Divide(add(targethull,target shield),2) , and you make several versions of your background, say 5.

Then you switch BGno1 ON if the target hull is between 80-100, BGno2 for 60-80, BGno3 for 40-60 and so on. Would make it slightly more controlled.
This is pretty much what I was aiming for, except use a number or condition related to the target, so the pattern changes when you switch targets.
Image Image Image
Bunnywabbit

Post by Bunnywabbit »

you could use the target experience and perhaps combine it with your own, or with its modeltype.

a really high kb could have lots of squares, or coloured ones, so yuo'd get an additional visual clue as to whom to podkill. :)
ImageImage current version r158 new beta as of jan 23 2012