A note from the core people

A place to discuss user-created Allegiance 3D models, textures, images, and other visual ingame content.
DonKarnage

Post by DonKarnage »

Can a ship be scaled per axis?
It is Karnage! Don Karnage! Roll the r!
SpaceJunk

Post by SpaceJunk »

Balance will need to be tweaked, just on the basis of visibility differences, even if you squeezed the model into an identical hitbox. So, why bother? Just throw it in and rebalance it later.
vogue

Post by vogue »

Adept wrote:QUOTE (Adept @ Nov 23 2010, 12:44 PM) I dunno. While I personally really like flying and even successfully tried commanding OH exp, it doesn't seem to be a favorite. Maybe the hitbox isnt't quite as good as it feels like to me.
OH exp isn't liked because the htts are absolute garbage. Unless your going up against regular ints your htt is most likely to get fried. The only other reasonable endgame is SB's, which is why OH tacspansion is a preferred path. I would say their figbbr's too but then I realized that OH sup blows. :lol:
phoenix1 wrote:QUOTE (phoenix1 @ May 5 2013, 08:35 PM) Vogue is clearly #1 and commanding against him feels like commanding against Spideycw at times... though he lacks that little bit of "I don't care who's on my team or what the factions are, it's going to be a stomp anyways" that Spidey managed to pull off in his heyday.
raingriffin

Post by raingriffin »

supposedly models can be scaled per axis if you do it in the modelling package.
I am not sure core scaling can be done per axis
we could rescale the models to be stubbier but they'll need a retexture, cause using the one it has now will only result in HEAVY deformation, in this case pic compression... the exact opposite of when you get stretching.

Now i am not sure how we could handle communication between the balancing team and the developing modellers: i am pretty sure each and every member of the balancing team has a totally different opinion of how things should be done.

I don't see anything too bad trying to get an opinion before an artist wastes days on end on a model which has no future tho.
-sing- Just always look on the bright side of life -whistle, bow to monty python's Life of Brian-

Spunkmeyer

Post by Spunkmeyer »

raingriffin wrote:QUOTE (raingriffin @ Nov 24 2010, 07:23 AM) Now i am not sure how we could handle communication between the balancing team and the developing modellers: i am pretty sure each and every member of the balancing team has a totally different opinion of how things should be done.
Personally I've found adjusting other aspects of the faction based on the models is a complete crapshoot. And that's when there is just one coremaker. With a lot of stuff you have somewhat objective measures such as dps, ttk, eta, range to eye etc. But we don't have anything similar for models and that's where it kills you. Yeah, sure you can get a feel for it and get away with it, but if you want things done right....

I think the best method in the long term is a tool which takes a cross-section of the cvh from six angles (to allow for asymmetrical designs) at a given range and then calculate the surface area of the resulting 2D polygon, as well as the width-to-height ratio. We can establish upper and lower limits for those based on the averages of the original factions. If the model passes the test then you should be in business, and in theory the core doesn't have to be subjectively balanced for crappy hitboxes.

Or you can do it based on a model image if the cvh conforms to the model...The necessary step is to establish the acceptable ranges.

Want bigger games? Log on to play at the official game time: 9pmET/8pmCT/7pmMT/6pmPT every day of the week. Also Saturdays 8pm UTC.

DasSmiter

Post by DasSmiter »

raingriffin wrote:QUOTE (raingriffin @ Nov 24 2010, 07:23 AM) Now i am not sure how we could handle communication between the balancing team and the developing modellers: i am pretty sure each and every member of the balancing team has a totally different opinion of how things should be done.
CC ZL would have the final say on how things are done I should think.
ImageImageImage
Get over yourselves, don't try to win arguments on the internet where the option of a punch in the mouth is unavailable
"It is not that I cannot create anything good, but that I will not." And to prove this, he created the peacock.