Suggestion : Reskin the wiki / change the default skin for the wiki

Clay_Pigeon

Post by Clay_Pigeon »

I think the problem is that the Academy's function has changed. The old academy consisted of:

-Training Materials - absorbed by cadet/afs
-History - absorbed by wiki
-Fiction - ???
-Faction and Ship Stats - still there.

And the intro page is basically a credits page that also belongs elsewhere.

Perhaps its time to retire the Academy, so to speak, and renamed what we have as "Allegopedia" or something like that.

The main page is simply a better organized version of what current sidebar, with a few additional entries like "common abbreviations"
"Therefore I will boast all the more gladly about my weaknesses, so that Christ's power may rest on me." -2 Cor 12:9
"Never know how long I've waited, anticipated your smile pressed against mine." -Running
fwiffo

Post by fwiffo »

while it may be possible to bring the old acad back online... keeping it up to date can be come a nightmare. its better to just stick w/ the wiki as the medium itself promotes continuous improvement. as far as the style and format of the wiki vs old acad, i think i prefer the sterile, "just the facts" approach since that's what you would expect when you look something up in a reference source. adding personality and atmosphere in the wiki just borders too close on personal taste... cant please everyone all the time.
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
A Spathi's Axiom for Survival: "The only brave Spathi is a dead Spathi. RUN YOU FOOLS!"
juckto

Post by juckto »

QUOTE Allegopedia[/quote]
Bam. Done. The only reason it still had the old "Academy" name was because I couldn't think of anything better.
Intro page needs to be rewritten, I simply copy-pasted what notjarvis had half-finished.

+Edit:
QUOTE -Fiction - ???[/quote]
Absorbed by wiki since 2007
Last edited by juckto on Wed Aug 04, 2010 6:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
Usually though, "skill" is used to covertly mean "match the game exactly to my level of competence." Anyone who is at all worse than me should fail utterly (and humorously!) and anyone better is clearly too caught up in the game and their opinions shouldn't count.
HSharp

Post by HSharp »

I understand the wiki is incredibly easier to update but for me it lacks the same style and honestly the information seems harder to find on the wiki then on the academy.

Por example

http://web.archive.org/web/20070219041204/...ashcourse.shtml

The current answer seems to be take AFS + Cadet if you want to learn how to play while the Academy seemed more like a, here is how to play the game but if you want to learn more quickly then take cadet. I prefer the Academy's way much much more.

I'm feeling all nostalgic for the Academy because that is how I learned to play, I didn't take Cadet but the Academy was great for teaching me how to play.
notjarvis

Post by notjarvis »

HSharp wrote:QUOTE (HSharp @ Aug 4 2010, 08:50 AM) I understand the wiki is incredibly easier to update but for me it lacks the same style and honestly the information seems harder to find on the wiki then on the academy.

Por example

http://web.archive.org/web/20070219041204/...ashcourse.shtml

The current answer seems to be take AFS + Cadet if you want to learn how to play while the Academy seemed more like a, here is how to play the game but if you want to learn more quickly then take cadet. I prefer the Academy's way much much more.

I'm feeling all nostalgic for the Academy because that is how I learned to play, I didn't take Cadet but the Academy was great for teaching me how to play.

Wow. The academy looked nothing like that when I joined Allegiance :o

To be honest the Current Wiki CDT I is a pretty direct Rip of what the Academy learning stuff looked like when I joined.

Interesting.

i actually quite like that layout of lessons myself expecially "1 Communications".

And it would fit for the early days better with AFS's learn at your own pace dynamic.

......notjarvis wanders off muttering to himself. interesting.......
Last edited by notjarvis on Wed Aug 04, 2010 8:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
SP4WN

Post by SP4WN »

@HSharp

If you look at the Cadet sign-up page here the first link on the page is to a nice crash course on the wiki.

Secondly all the information that was available in the lessons is now on the wiki, if you really are a person who wants to learn and also has the ability to learn faster than the general population you will just read it up on the wiki.

While I loved the academy and used it myself personally to learn when I started playing it, it has quite a few cons/issues that you dont have with the wiki; updatability, search functions, keeping it up to date, etc.

That being said, I wouldnt personally be opposed to having a new "academy page" as a secondary "site" run alongside the wiki. I do think it is slightly pointless and reskinning the wiki would be a better use of time spent though.
Clay_Pigeon

Post by Clay_Pigeon »

juckto wrote:QUOTE (juckto @ Aug 4 2010, 02:05 AM) Bam. Done. The only reason it still had the old "Academy" name was because I couldn't think of anything better.
Intro page needs to be rewritten, I simply copy-pasted what notjarvis had half-finished.
If no one gets to it by this weekend, I'll take a spin at it. Just stay the $#@! away from my commas! :P
"Therefore I will boast all the more gladly about my weaknesses, so that Christ's power may rest on me." -2 Cor 12:9
"Never know how long I've waited, anticipated your smile pressed against mine." -Running
HSharp

Post by HSharp »

SP4WN wrote:QUOTE (SP4WN @ Aug 4 2010, 10:35 AM) @HSharp

If you look at the Cadet sign-up page here the first link on the page is to a nice crash course on the wiki.
I would like to say that the Academy's Crash Course is much better than the wiki's. The wiki seems more like learn how to fly so vets won't shout at you while the Academy was more like what you can do in a ship then going on to more advanced sections and basics on commanding.

Similar information is on the wiki but much harder to find, and looking back from the web archive of the Academy I have got to say it was tons better for learning how to fly then the wiki currently is because the wiki pretty much goes, "Here are the basics, want to learn more? JOIN AFS NOOB!" Academy was "here is everything you can do! Want to learn more? Join Cadet!"

I do appreciate the work that is done in the wiki but the Academy was tons better for a new player. Speaking of which does the installer now still put up a shortcut to it? Because that link won't work anymore and will look stupid.
notjarvis

Post by notjarvis »

HSharp wrote:QUOTE (HSharp @ Aug 4 2010, 07:37 PM) I do appreciate the work that is done in the wiki but the Academy was tons better for a new player. Speaking of which does the installer now still put up a shortcut to it? Because that link won't work anymore and will look stupid.
That's fixed I think.

If your point is The content is better on the old page you linked - then we can easily change that....

Are you are proposing (basically) the academy was better a few years ago (you posted a link to the early 2007 version) - not that the academy should go straight back up as it was when it went down?

You know the Academy when I joined, had much the same text as the Wiki does now.In much the same fashion.
Last edited by notjarvis on Wed Aug 04, 2010 8:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Clay_Pigeon

Post by Clay_Pigeon »

I've been fleshing out Allegopedia. Check my work.