Turret faction

Development areas for Allegiance core (IGC) design.
Adept

Post by Adept »

HSharp wrote:QUOTE (HSharp @ Jun 28 2010, 11:26 AM) I would say a good way to balance a turret faction is to make turrets have a high mass so when you do have one mounted you lose a lot of agility and acceleration but if you don't have a turret gunner then you can drop the turret and be much quicker so you can choose between quick ships with low firepower or slow ships with a lot more firepower.
This is exactly how I thought OH would turn out. It works for heavy scouts afterall.
ImageImageImageImageImage
<bp|> Maybe when I grow up I can be a troll like PsycH
<bp|> or an obsessive compulsive paladin of law like Adept
RealPandemonium

Post by RealPandemonium »

Adept wrote:QUOTE (Adept @ Jun 28 2010, 05:35 AM) This is exactly how I thought OH would turn out. It works for heavy scouts afterall.
Mini-AC adds a ton of mass?
Image IMO
Edmond wrote:QUOTE (Edmond @ Aug 31 2010, 04:20 PM) I think girly's idea is much better, since it is more freeform, only needs to be updated by one person, and maintains the openness of the command channel without the spaminess. Plus it can have ASCII goatse.
Adept

Post by Adept »

RealPandemonium wrote:QUOTE (RealPandemonium @ Jun 28 2010, 02:46 PM) Mini-AC adds a ton of mass?
Hell yes! Toss that sucker out if you don't have a gunner.
ImageImageImageImageImage
<bp|> Maybe when I grow up I can be a troll like PsycH
<bp|> or an obsessive compulsive paladin of law like Adept
HSharp

Post by HSharp »

Mini-AC doesn't have that much mass, I was thinking for this faction it's like half an aleph res weight for turrets so it's quite significant to get rid of the turret if you don't have a gunner.

However it does make it a newbie unfriendly faction unless you have it so the default slots include no turrets and you hope people don't jump on un-turreted ships.
RealPandemonium

Post by RealPandemonium »

Yeah, Mini AC will reduce your accel by 1, maybe 2.

Noobs sink or swim in this game anyway.
Image IMO
Edmond wrote:QUOTE (Edmond @ Aug 31 2010, 04:20 PM) I think girly's idea is much better, since it is more freeform, only needs to be updated by one person, and maintains the openness of the command channel without the spaminess. Plus it can have ASCII goatse.
Compellor

Post by Compellor »

The trouble with making massive turrets is that you have to balance the ship for both high-mass and low mass. It would mean mass can be the only thing balancing out the firepower from the turret. It'd be easier just to give the faction access to both normal one-man figs and turret figs. And that brings up a whole host of issues someone else is welcome to deal with.
Any job worth doing with a laser is worth doing with many, many lasers. -Khrima
Beyond a shadow of a doubt if you don't watch them like a hawk they will stack their collective balls off - MrChaos on Alleg players