Capships are a bit too ueber?

Discussion / Announcement area for PookCore II (PC2) development.
Pook

Post by Pook »

Well get the RT Calculator (Deng) to run your numbers for you. mrgreen.gif

As for the PCII shipyard, the changes are very simple. All large shields have double hitpoints from 1.25. All large and extra large hulls have double hitpoints from 1.25 EXCEPT for the assault ship.

That's it. No other changes. PCII does not have the uber skycaps from A+ or anything like that.

EDIT: According to "TEK" it would take 10 enh figs with 1 dis2 and 2 gat2 about 18 seconds to kill that MF (Large 2).
Last edited by Pook on Wed Jul 12, 2006 10:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Raveen

Post by Raveen »

As an interesting aside, what size of game would you say is the minimum for SY to be on Pook? 10v10, 15+?

Obviously Alleg is designed in such a way that SY requires a certain size of game and presumably the core dev sets that size in the core settings (eg. how powerful SY is). I just wondered whether you have any idea what that size is.

I'd personally guess at about 15v15 but I'd be interested in your opinion.
ImageImage
Spidey: Can't think of a reason I'd need to know anything
Pook

Post by Pook »

Personally I think that 10 vs 10 is too small. It basically means that you need every single person to defend against the enemy while the enemy still has more than half his team available on other fronts.

15 v 15 might be the minimum. It at least would allow for a counter-bomb run or something similar.

Personally I think 20 vs 20 is a good size given how powerful capships are. Personally I wish there was an option in the game that only allowed certain tech to "unlock" after a period of time. That would let you turn on the "Game ending tech" only if the game had fallen into a stalemate situation.
Raveen

Post by Raveen »

Pook wrote:
QUOTE (Pook @ Jul 13 2006, 03:13 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Personally I wish there was an option in the game that only allowed certain tech to "unlock" after a period of time. That would let you turn on the "Game ending tech" only if the game had fallen into a stalemate situation.

Hmm, how about a set of $1 researches that unlock the end game techs? It'd be a fudge and depending on how much of a delay you're wanting it could be seriously impractical but it's the only option you have just now.
ImageImage
Spidey: Can't think of a reason I'd need to know anything
Pook

Post by Pook »

No, if the commander's going to use it he's going to use it... in any case the $1 researches would basically be the first things that every commander had to click, every game.

Remember - right now I'm not convinced that there's a problem mrgreen.gif I think it was pretty clear from my analysis above (it did contain some assumptions) that giga could have had the tech to defend against the MF but the commander didn't buy it.

The remaining question from that segment of the conversation is... what can and can't defend against a capship?

Perhaps we should determine a "target time" and then determine what it would take to destroy a capship in the time allotted using the various tech paths.

For example: What SUP tech would be the minimum required to destroy a MF within 30 seconds with 10 players defending?
Your_Persona

Post by Your_Persona »

Let ye not forget that cap rushing is one of IC's "perks", which is also why no tech base is required. smile.gif
-->>Elitism<<--
I'm not Hamlet. I don't take part any more. My words have nothing to tell me anymore.
Grim_Reaper_4u

Post by Grim_Reaper_4u »

Your_Persona wrote:
QUOTE (Your_Persona @ Jul 13 2006, 09:32 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Let ye not forget that cap rushing is one of IC's "perks", which is also why no tech base is required. smile.gif

Let ye not forget that MS probably thought hard and long about the MF hitpoints which balanced said perk and doubling said hitpoints might cause balance problems wink.gif

Just a few potential problems which need to be tested :

- IC MF rush vs Bios (who fail to pick up dis 2), so essentially have to d with gat1/dis1/GS/Bomber
- IC MF rush vs Tac/Exp/Sup

I want to prevent IC MF rush from becoming an almost sure win option in 75% of normal games wink.gif Pitty noone ever plays PCII or we could test it quickly.
Grim_Reaper_4u

Post by Grim_Reaper_4u »

Pook wrote:
QUOTE (Pook @ Jul 13 2006, 04:13 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Personally I think that 10 vs 10 is too small. It basically means that you need every single person to defend against the enemy while the enemy still has more than half his team available on other fronts.

15 v 15 might be the minimum. It at least would allow for a counter-bomb run or something similar.

Personally I think 20 vs 20 is a good size given how powerful capships are.

The old consensus about caps was always around 10 vs 10 as a minimum. Considering how weak caps are on most cores I'd say that's about right (maybe 13 or 14 would be best ). On DN 4 or 5 adv sf with killer 2 can waste a cruiser before it goes more than 2 sectors (OK tac is way too powerful on DN in general but hey wink.gif ) In a 20 vs 20 game (on A+ and DN) noone goes caps (unless you have the enemy turtled) because they are a waste of money and get killed in the 1st camp they encounter (the only useful cap is the ass carrier there wink.gif ). If you want to balance caps for 20 vs 20 then make sure everyone knows you are doing so for PCII because the balance will be different from the other cores. smile.gif